Static from tweeter on one speaker..

Lyons

So I have some B&W ZMF2003 speakers and a Sansui AU-777A amp, and I get static from only the tweeter on one of my speakers. It goes away when I turn on muting (-20dB) on the amp and then turn up the volume more, but this tends to dampen the sound slightly, like the speaker's range is restricted, even when the volume is right up. Is there any way of fixing this? I don't really want to replace the tweeter as it'd be really difficult replace identically. I doubt the problem is coming from the crossover...

Also, move this to the audio sub forum if necessary, this place just seems a little more amp/speaker oriented.

Laptop Lenovo Thinkpad X220 - CPU: i5 2420m - RAM: 8gb - SSD: Samsung 830 - IPS screen Peripherals Monitor: Dell U2713HM - KB: Ducky shine w/PBT (MX Blue) - Mouse: Corsair M60

Audio Beyerdynamic DT990pro headphones - Audioengine D1 DAC/AMP - Swan D1080-IV speakers

The hiss is coming from the amp. A Power conditioner might help.( I haven't used one) or get an amp with a better power supply.

Will work for electronic components and parts

Reviews: Meelec CC51P - Monoprice 8323 - Koss Porta Pros  - Shure SRH-440 - Shure SRH-550DJShure SRH-840 - Hifiman He-500 - iBasso D4 - o2 Amplifier  -  SkeletonDac

Hmm, I could replace the amp for less than a power conditioner. I do really like this amp though... it's 44 years old this year :P might try another one I have, thanks.

Laptop Lenovo Thinkpad X220 - CPU: i5 2420m - RAM: 8gb - SSD: Samsung 830 - IPS screen Peripherals Monitor: Dell U2713HM - KB: Ducky shine w/PBT (MX Blue) - Mouse: Corsair M60

Audio Beyerdynamic DT990pro headphones - Audioengine D1 DAC/AMP - Swan D1080-IV speakers

You don't automatically have to replace the amp because it's making noise. First check that you're not wrapping your speaker cable in amongst power cables. It's rare to have this issue with lower end home hifi gear in comparison with pro gear but it can happen. If the problem is still happening, switch amp channels. That'll confirm it's the amp channel or if it's the driver. If it is the amp channel, you can get that repaired.

Ha, I know, I just wanted to try another to confirm if its the amp of the speaker. I've isolated the set up from any other power cables or signal cables and I still get the static. I've also tried different channels on the amp etc., I'm quite sure it's the speaker. Annoying...

You may depending on a number of variables, be able to replace the drivers. Just depends -are the speakers worth it?

They're really nice speakers... but I did get them for free of a family member. it's something I can put up with using muting and increasing the volume. It only degrades the sound by a few %. I mainly use my headphones anyway

So they're bad speakers now? :rolleyes: I tried them with another amp, and the tweeter still hisses.

no, I meant a bad driver doesn't cause hiss.

I'd be very surprised if it was the driver unless the speaker was abused.

as I read the first post again I have a few questions

is it more of a constant hiss or an occasional pop(or at loud parts only) or even the whole driver vibrating?

and does it only go away only with muting, or does turning the volume down make it go away?

Reviews: Meelec CC51P - Monoprice 8323 - Koss Porta Pros  - Shure SRH-440 - Shure SRH-550DJShure SRH-840 - Hifiman He-500 - iBasso D4 - o2 Amplifier  -  SkeletonDac

It's a constant hiss that doesn't get louder or quieter. It's discrete but still noticeable enough to be annoying. It only goes away with muting, without muting it's constant regardless of the amps volume. The only way to get rid of it is to turn muting on and increase the volume to compensate for it. It's hard to say if the driver itself is vibrating.

yea, it's the amp(s).

had the same problem with a vintage stereo receiver of mine, hissed like crazy unless I put the high filter on, but then it sounded funny.

if it got louder as the volume went up I would say it's a source issue, but since it doesn't, the problem is in the amp.

It's the amp. most amps do this and they typcally only happen when the volume is high so you won't notice so don't worry
Wellllllllllllllllll if you read the thread, the hiss is constant in volume regardless of volume.

• 2 weeks later...

Gorgeous amp! hope you get it sorted out mate! :)