Ubiquiti Edgerouter X Powerful Enough?

Go to solution Solved by dalekphalm,
5 minutes ago, Jackpot17 said:

Recently I've been looking into building a pfSense router and I am always recommended to by a Ubiquiti Edgerouter X instead, due to power consumption, form factor and cost. My internet speed is 40mbit down and 15mbit up. There are 3 heavy users in my house. I won't be running anything other than DHCP as far as I know and I won't be running a VPN server. I don't need an access point or a switch because I already have bought a UAP and a large netgear switch.

So my question is will this be powerful enough as I want a completely solid router solution?

Help appreciated.

Frankly even the EdgeRouter X is overkill for your setup. But if you want rock steady reliable? Sure, go with the Edgerouter X. You'll definitely get that, as it won't even break a sweat with all three of your "heavy users" online at once. It can handle far more than 40/15 and 3 users.

Recently I've been looking into building a pfSense router and I am always recommended to by a Ubiquiti Edgerouter X instead, due to power consumption, form factor and cost. My internet speed is 40mbit down and 15mbit up. There are 3 heavy users in my house. I won't be running anything other than DHCP as far as I know and I won't be running a VPN server. I don't need an access point or a switch because I already have bought a UAP and a large netgear switch.

So my question is will this be powerful enough as I want a completely solid router solution?

Help appreciated.

1 minute ago, Jackpot17 said:

Recently I've been looking into building a pfSense router and I always am recommended to just by a Ubiquiti Edgerouter X instead due to power consumption and cost. My speeds are 40mbit down and 15mbit up. There are 3 heavy users in my house. I won't be running anything other than DHCP as far as I know and I won't be running a VPN service. I don't need an access point or a switch because I already have boight a UAP and a large netgear switch.

So my question is will this be powerful enough as I want a completely solid solution for routing etc?

Help appreciated.

The ER-X should easily cut it. I would say the maximum routing capacity would be up to 500Mbps. Any higher and you should be using an EdgeRouter Lite. So yes, you will be just fine with the ER-X

My native language is C++

5 minutes ago, Jackpot17 said:

Help appreciated.

Frankly even the EdgeRouter X is overkill for your setup. But if you want rock steady reliable? Sure, go with the Edgerouter X. You'll definitely get that, as it won't even break a sweat with all three of your "heavy users" online at once. It can handle far more than 40/15 and 3 users.

For Sale: Meraki Bundle

iPhone Xr 128 GB Product Red - HP Spectre x360 13" (i5 - 8 GB RAM - 256 GB SSD) - HP ZBook 15v G5 15" (i7-8850H - 16 GB RAM - 512 GB SSD - NVIDIA Quadro P600)

16 minutes ago, Jackpot17 said:

3 "heavy users" is still likely light use. 40/15 is honestly light use no matter how you cut it. The ERX is overkill, so it'll do just fine.

Using quote marks on heavy give me a break I live in England (was just on holiday in Ontario it's a very nice btw) xD Well by my standards that's heavy. Anyway thanks for the replies, very helpful.