diffrennce between signal lose and data lose

ilyas001

hi guys i know when you try to make a good network you need to take in count how many db do you have to keep the signal working so you can be able to transfert data but why low signals don't make you loose data i mean you start with 100mb/s and only 5mb/s arrive i mean i don't get how it works even if the pc knows that only 5mb/s he can get so he will sent only 5mb/s of information doesn't this mean that the 5mb/s will never reach the terminal i know it sounds confusing  i just try to  explain the way i see things so you can explain to me better thanks 

Signal strength in WiFi is usually based on the beacon packets that routers send. I've had networks that supposedly had excellent signal strength, but crappy reliability because of interference.

You're also confusing data rate with actual data. Data rates differ depending on the overall network activity, what kind of data you're transferring, if it's a TCP or UDP connection, etc. Unless you're transferring a huge file over the network and you're the only one on that channel, you're rarely going to see anything close to your network's maximum throughput.

10 minutes ago, ilyas001 said:

hi guys i know when you try to make a good network you need to take in count how many db do you have to keep the signal working so you can be able to transfert data but why low signals don't make you loose data i mean you start with 100mb/s and only 5mb/s arrive i mean i don't get how it works even if the pc knows that only 5mb/s he can get so he will sent only 5mb/s of information doesn't this mean that the 5mb/s will never reach the terminal i know it sounds confusing  i just try to  explain the way i see things so you can explain to me better thanks 

To start off, the period in the english language is a very useful tool. It helps the writer express that they have ended their sentence. It looks like this: "."

High Db levels shouldn't be bad. If anything they should help.

My native language is C++

9 minutes ago, M.Yurizaki said:

Signal strength in WiFi is usually based on the beacon packets that routers send. I've had networks that supposedly had excellent signal strength, but crappy reliability because of interference.

You're also confusing data rate with actual data. Data rates differ depending on the overall network activity, what kind of data you're transferring, if it's a TCP or UDP connection, etc. Unless you're transferring a huge file over the network and you're the only one on that channel, you're rarely going to see anything close to your network's maximum throughput.

thanks well first i'm new in the networking i still learn so forgive my ignorance   and the thing that i think of is the next . for example i have a network that starts with a 100 mb/s by making my installation i end up with like 50 mb/s  only . and let's say i use tcp/ip ok ? then i stars sending data so normally do i sent 100mb/s speed then only 50mb/s arrives so udp use it's reliability to make sure of the packets that i'm sending but if only the half arrives doesn't this means that udp will become really really slow i mean udp make sure of reliably when some packets are missing but if half of them doesn't arrive to destination it makes no sense that's what i want to know hope i'm more clear now 

10 minutes ago, tt2468 said:

To start off, the period in the english language is a very useful tool. It helps the writer express that they have ended their sentence. It looks like this: "."

High Db levels shouldn't be bad. If anything they should help.

i tried to make it clearer 

I don't know anything about networking, but I assume it has to do with acknowledgments. If a weak signal is received, but it isn't acknowledged, I'd imagine the router would resend the packet after a delay. The process of ticking and resending the packet would reduce your bandwidth because the computer being transmitted to is acknowledging the packets less frequently due to the inconsistency with which the packets are received. Interference is usually just things operating on the same frequency spectrum. In that case, your increased latency is due to a shared resource and limited operating range.

I've only seen packet loss occur when there is either a problem with the router, or VERY high levels of interference that essentially sever the connection between the router and the client.

So the greater your signal strength, and the lower the interference, the less often these acknowledgements fail, and the more of your bandwidth you'll be able to use for things you care about.