Is This PSU Sufficient For My Needs?

Go to solution Solved by Bananasplit_00,
Just now, Artemiis said:

So 700W is a good range for me then? Do you think I should get an 850W just in case I want to upgrade to 2 GPU's in the future? Also there are a TON of PSU brands listed there that are good, including the Be Quiet Dark Pro series. So you think I could just go with: http://www.ncix.com/detail/be-quiet-dark-power-pro-c7-115434.htm  (Dark Power 750W) or http://www.ncix.com/detail/be-quiet-dark-power-pro-c7-115433.htm (Dark Power 650W)

Is there any reason why you choose EVGA in particular? I looked at the above guy's white list and on almost every brand the guy said they were good

So would you suggest I go with the 750W model or the 650W? Also why do they even make 1200W models? What kind of build would even use that if even with 2 GPU's it only uses 700W?

Ok 750W would do even if you want another GPU in the future, i would go with EVGA because they are dead silen from my experience whilst also beeing good quality at a decent price. those 1200W PSUs are for super maxed out PCs and idiots, and for super maxed out im talking quad Titan Xs or some insaine shit like that, paired with some silly CPU :P 

Hi All,

Just a couple quick questions here since I'm new at custom building PCs. Recently my old PSU crapped out, the guy who built my computer originally cheaped out on the PSU and it died after just 5 months of use. It was a Thermaltake Bronze Cert. 850W even though I asked him to go with at least Gold Cert. and I didn't find out he went with a cheaper one until after I brought my pc home.. In short, he screwed up a bunch of things including installing my RAM in the wrong spots and he had left all the extra HDD sleds in and installed my SSD directly infront of my GPU so that the GPU's fan closest to the front of the pc was rubbing against the sled because it's quite long. He also didn't hook up my pump to the right header... Needless to say I have lost faith in his abilities and so I'm going to swap out the PSU myself..  I'm also wondering what would have caused the PSU to die only 5 months into having my pc? But the more important question is will this replacement 850W PSU be enough or should I go up to the 1000W/1200W model? The 1200W is actually cheaper right now than the 1000W model, not sure why? But if I do need to go up to the 1000W/1200W would there be any harm in going with the 1200W even if I only need the 1000W just because it's cheaper?

Be Quiet! Dark Power Pro 850W Platinum Cert.: http://www.ncix.com/detail/be-quiet-dark-power-pro-c7-109230.htm

Be Quiet! Dark Power Pro 1000W Platinum Cert,: http://www.ncix.com/detail/be-quiet-dark-power-pro-c7-109229.htm

Be Quiet! Dark Power Pro 1200W Platinum Cert.: http://www.ncix.com/detail/be-quiet-dark-power-pro-c7-109228.htm

My computer specs are in my signature so you can check it out to see what Wattage I would need to sufficiently power my pc.

Thank you very much in advance for any feedback, I really do appreciate any help I can get ^_^

CPU: Intel i7-6700k | Motherboard: Asus Z170 Pro Gaming Aura | RAM: G.Skillz Ripjaws V Series 32GB DDR4 3200 (4 x 8GB) | GPU: EVGA GTX 1080 FTW Edition | Storage: Samsung 850 EVO 1TB SSD + Samsung 850 EVO 500GB SSD | PSU: EVGA Supernova P2 750W | Cooling: NZXT Kraken X62 | Case Fans: NZXT Aer RGB 120mm x 3 + NZXT Aer RGB 140mm | Case: Phanteks Enthoo Evolv TG Edition | Lights: NZXT Hue+ | Monitor: Asus ROG Swift PG279Q | Keyboard: Corsair K70 RGB LUX Mouse: Zowie EC2-A | DAC/AMP: Schiit Magni Uber + Schiit Modi Uber | Headphones: Sennhesier HD598 SE + Fostex T50RP Mk3 w/ Mayflower Mods | Mic: Antlion ModMic 5.0 | OS: Windows 10

dude. 700W is enough for this. 850W is way overkill.... lol looks like the guy who built this had no idea about PSUs :P anyway i would go for something like the EVGA SuperNova 750W or anything around 700W in THIS guide hope you can get something that works nicely for you :) 

I spent $2500 on building my PC and all i do with it is play no games atm & watch anime at 1080p(finally) watch YT and write essays...  nothing, it just sits there collecting dust...

Builds:

The Toaster Project! Northern Bee!

The original LAN PC build log! (Old, dead and replaced by The Toaster Project & 5.0)

Spoiler

"Here is some advice that might have gotten lost somewhere along the way in your life. 

#1. Treat others as you would like to be treated.

#2. It's best to keep your mouth shut; and appear to be stupid, rather than open it and remove all doubt.

#3. There is nothing "wrong" with being wrong. Learning from a mistake can be more valuable than not making one in the first place.

Follow these simple rules in life, and I promise you, things magically get easier. " - MageTank 31-10-2016

5 minutes ago, Bananasplit_00 said:

dude. 700W is enough for this. 850W is way overkill.... lol looks like the guy who built this had no idea about PSUs :P anyway i would go for something like the EVGA SuperNova 750W or anything around 700W in THIS guide hope you can get something that works nicely for you :) 

So 700W is a good range for me then? Do you think I should get an 850W just in case I want to upgrade to 2 GPU's in the future? Also there are a TON of PSU brands listed there that are good, including the Be Quiet Dark Pro series. So you think I could just go with: http://www.ncix.com/detail/be-quiet-dark-power-pro-c7-115434.htm  (Dark Power 750W) or http://www.ncix.com/detail/be-quiet-dark-power-pro-c7-115433.htm (Dark Power 650W)

5 minutes ago, Comic_Sans_MS said:

Is there any reason why you choose EVGA in particular? I looked at the above guy's white list and on almost every brand the guy said they were good

15 minutes ago, Aytex said:

You don't even need max 650w...

These PSU's are WAY over what you need

An r9 295x2 on load dosen't even go past ~700

So would you suggest I go with the 750W model or the 650W? Also why do they even make 1200W models? What kind of build would even use that if even with 2 GPU's it only uses 700W?

CPU: Intel i7-6700k | Motherboard: Asus Z170 Pro Gaming Aura | RAM: G.Skillz Ripjaws V Series 32GB DDR4 3200 (4 x 8GB) | GPU: EVGA GTX 1080 FTW Edition | Storage: Samsung 850 EVO 1TB SSD + Samsung 850 EVO 500GB SSD | PSU: EVGA Supernova P2 750W | Cooling: NZXT Kraken X62 | Case Fans: NZXT Aer RGB 120mm x 3 + NZXT Aer RGB 140mm | Case: Phanteks Enthoo Evolv TG Edition | Lights: NZXT Hue+ | Monitor: Asus ROG Swift PG279Q | Keyboard: Corsair K70 RGB LUX Mouse: Zowie EC2-A | DAC/AMP: Schiit Magni Uber + Schiit Modi Uber | Headphones: Sennhesier HD598 SE + Fostex T50RP Mk3 w/ Mayflower Mods | Mic: Antlion ModMic 5.0 | OS: Windows 10

Also does anyone have an idea of why my old PSU crapped out so early? 5 months doesn't seem like very long to have to replace it..  Could the fact that it was way too much power for what I needed be responsible for it dying? Sorry I don't know much yet about this stuff

2 minutes ago, Artemiis said:

I picked the EVGA G2 and P2 because they are good value for money and are very good. You do NOT need 850W for dual GPU settups, 750W is more than enough.

Look at this list at the top 2 tiers of you want to do more research.

Just now, Artemiis said:

Ok 750W would do even if you want another GPU in the future, i would go with EVGA because they are dead silen from my experience whilst also beeing good quality at a decent price. those 1200W PSUs are for super maxed out PCs and idiots, and for super maxed out im talking quad Titan Xs or some insaine shit like that, paired with some silly CPU :P 

I spent $2500 on building my PC and all i do with it is play no games atm & watch anime at 1080p(finally) watch YT and write essays...  nothing, it just sits there collecting dust...

Builds:

The original LAN PC build log! (Old, dead and replaced by The Toaster Project & 5.0)

Spoiler

"Here is some advice that might have gotten lost somewhere along the way in your life. 

#2. It's best to keep your mouth shut; and appear to be stupid, rather than open it and remove all doubt.

#3. There is nothing "wrong" with being wrong. Learning from a mistake can be more valuable than not making one in the first place.

Follow these simple rules in life, and I promise you, things magically get easier. " - MageTank 31-10-2016

1 minute ago, Artemiis said:

Also does anyone have an idea of why my old PSU crapped out so early? 5 months doesn't seem like very long to have to replace it..  Could the fact that it was way too much power for what I needed be responsible for it dying? Sorry I don't know much yet about this stuff

it was probably a bad egg tbh, it shouldent die that fast. 

Builds:

Spoiler

3 minutes ago, Artemiis said:

650/750 if you want to be "futureproof"

7 minutes ago, Comic_Sans_MS said:

I picked the EVGA G2 and P2 because they are good value for money and are very good. You do NOT need 850W for dual GPU settups, 750W is more than enough.

Look at this list at the top 2 tiers of you want to do more research.

7 minutes ago, Bananasplit_00 said:

7 minutes ago, Bananasplit_00 said:

it was probably a bad egg tbh, it shouldent die that fast. 

6 minutes ago, Aytex said:

650/750 if you want to be "futureproof"

Awesome thanks so much guys! I think I'll go with the 650W if that's honestly all you guys think I'll need. I doubt I'll ever go multiple SLI GPU's even in the future. I tend to prefer a high-end single GPU incase certain games don't support SLI and just to keep it simple so from your guys' suggestions it seems like 650W will be more than sufficient for just a single GPU setup like I have atm. Also I noticed my PSU is in Tier 7 on that list lol, makes sense why it died so quick then I guess. Again, I appreciate all the quick responses! Thanks guys and have a good one!

I think I'm going to end up going with an EVGA Supernova 650W 80 Plus Platinum Cert. PSU, I have one on reserve to pick up later from NCIX.  http://www.ncix.com/detail/evga-supernova-650-p2-80-85-114120.htm

It's about $100 cheaper than the Be Quiet! Dark Power Pro 650W that I wanted, plus the Be Quiet! had to be ordered in from LA which would take 5-10 days. I can't see any benefit from getting the Be Quiet! when they're both Platinum Cert. and both have strong current on their 12Vs, when looking at spec sheets they're almost identical.

I just want to be double triple sure that 650W will be enough for me? I tried like every PSU Calculator I could find and I got varying results from 580W up to 760W. I just want to be 100% sure that I won't need a 750W because if I do I can get the same model EVGA but with 750W instead of the 650W. If you can please get back to me so I can feel confident that I'm buying the right one! I doubt they'll take it back once it's been opened if there's nothing wrong with it and I just picked up the wrong one.. Thanks again and sorry for asking again this is the LAST time, I just want to be sure so I don't buy the wrong one and get stuck with it!

@Aytex   @Bananasplit_00    @Comic_Sans_MS

The 6600K will use up to 55W, the STRIX 980Ti can use up to 375W. Factor in roughly a 100W for motherboard, peripherals and what not. Another 100W for OCing and you total about 630W. Now remember, that's the worst case power consumption with a sizable buffer. That's still below the 650W of that EVGA unit and it is a good quality Platinum certified unit as well. 

If you're not sure what the future holds and the 750W model is not much more expensive, go for that. If not, the 650W will be fine. 

As for this: 

21 hours ago, Artemiis said:

Also why do they even make 1200W models? What kind of build would even use that if even with 2 GPU's it only uses 700W?

Workstations with dual Xeons and a bunch of GPUs for rendering, for example.

Folding@Home ~75k points per day | My Simple Air-cooled Machine Maintenance Guide | Dutch Talk | Building a Wooden Popsicle Stick House

Main rig: i7-3770 stock - ASUS P8Z77-M - 8GB DDR3 1600MHz - 2x Radeon HD6970 2GB - SilverStone GD05-B - Corsair RM650x

4 minutes ago, Xineas said:

The 6600K will use up to 55W, the STRIX 980Ti can use up to 375W. Factor in roughly a 100W for motherboard, peripherals and what not. Another 100W for OCing and you total about 630W. Now remember, that's the worst case power consumption with a sizable buffer. That's still below the 650W of that EVGA unit and it is a good quality Platinum certified unit as well. 

If you're not sure what the future holds and the 750W model is not much more expensive, go for that. If not, the 650W will be fine. 

Thank you! I'll probably just go with the 750W then, because 630W/650W is getting quite close and the 750W is only roughly $25 more atm.

i would go for the 650W seems like a decent choice to me, i have the gold one and its silent as a rock and has been a plesure to use, go for 750W if you really want to but 650 should be enough, its a bit bellow what i would have first guesses seeing as i said 700W but im still pretty new to knowing my PSU stuff on any leven and seeing as more experienced people are saying 650W is enough then it should be IMO :) 

Builds:

Spoiler