Can I upgrade my lenovo G50-45/Gateway NE56R12u APU/CPU?

Go to solution Solved by WkdPaul,
17 minutes ago, TheVideosChannel said:

Ok, so how do I check which motherboard I have?

has nothing to do with what motherboard you have but if it actually will accept the CPU ... it will fit physically but the BIOS might not support it. There's no way to know if it's compatible since laptops usually don't have the type of support list regular motherboard have.

Those CPU should be around $20 anyway, so it's not an expensive test and it might work perfectly.

Helolo everyone! 

I have two laptops: a Gateway NE56R12u, and a Lenovo G50-45.

Yes, I know these are very old and can't play AAA games, but they work very well for Mount&Blade Warband, writing RTF's ect ect.

I am just wandering what is the MAX CPU upgrade I can put into the Gateway. And what is the BEST APU for the Lenovo.

I don't want you telling me abut price and all that(I will handle that) just let me know that is the BEST I can get.

You can't. They are laptops. If you want better laptop cpu/gpu performance, you're going to have to get a new laptop.

There are some situations where this isn't the case, but yours is not one of them.

But I opened the Laptops and i was able to take the CPU/APU out of both of them.

My younger Brother has been asking me about upgrading his Lenovo G50-45, only thing i know you can Upgrade is the RAM and the Storage aka New SSD. if someone has opened any of these devices and checked whether or not the APU is soldered on or not that would be great. also most laptops these days have there CPUs Soldered on preventing any Upgradability.

also note that Laptop CPUs and Desktop CPUs are different.

Just now, keNNySOC said:

I have a gateway laptop similar to yours,worst buy i ever made in my life and i regret it

Well.....I would not call mine the "worst buy i ever made".

1 minute ago, keNNySOC said:

I have a gateway laptop similar to yours,worst buy i ever made in my life and i regret it

Infact I love these laptops! They are perfect for my uses!

Playing Mount&Blade on them works great.

4 minutes ago, TheVideosChannel said:

But I opened the Laptops and i was able to take the CPU/APU out of both of them.

you would have to give more information than the model, the G50-45 had different models, some with soldiered APU, so the exact CPU/APU model number would actually help directing you towards the right upgrade.

If you need help with your forum account, please use the Forum Support form !

Just now, wkdpaul said:

you would have to give more information than the model, the G50-45 had different models, some with soldiered APU, so the exact CPU/APU model number would actually help directing you towards the right upgrade.

My G50-45 has an AMD A8-6410 APU, and the NE56R12u has a Intel Pentium B950.

10 minutes ago, TheVideosChannel said:

Well.....I would not call mine the "worst buy i ever made".

Well i sure as hell can call my the "WORST" buy ever

8 minutes ago, TheVideosChannel said:

Are you sure it was the RAM you weren't taking out:?

He who asks is stupid for 5 minutes. He who does not ask, remains stupid. -Chinese proverb. 

Those who know much are aware that they know little. - Slick roasting me

Spoiler

AXIOM

CPU- Intel i5-6500 GPU- EVGA 1060 6GB Motherboard- Gigabyte GA-H170-D3H RAM- 8GB HyperX DDR4-2133 PSU- EVGA GQ 650w HDD- OEM 750GB Seagate Case- NZXT S340 Mouse- Logitech Gaming g402 Keyboard-  Azio MGK1 Headset- HyperX Cloud Core

Offical first poster LTT V2.0

9 minutes ago, TheVideosChannel said:

You can take out the pentium but not the A8

He who asks is stupid for 5 minutes. He who does not ask, remains stupid. -Chinese proverb. 

Spoiler

AXIOM

CPU- Intel i5-6500 GPU- EVGA 1060 6GB Motherboard- Gigabyte GA-H170-D3H RAM- 8GB HyperX DDR4-2133 PSU- EVGA GQ 650w HDD- OEM 750GB Seagate Case- NZXT S340 Mouse- Logitech Gaming g402 Keyboard-  Azio MGK1 Headset- HyperX Cloud Core

2 minutes ago, Clanscorpia said:

Are you sure it was the RAM you weren't taking out:?

Hahahhahahahahahahahah! That's a good one.

Just now, TheVideosChannel said:

You cant take out the A8 and I highly, highly doubt he spent 3 hours removing the cpu heatsink system so its the only other chip looking thing you could easily take out :P 

Spoiler

AXIOM

3 minutes ago, TheVideosChannel said:

For the Pentium, I would say any i5 would be a good buy, I just don't know if they are compatible with your motherboard;

i5-2540M

i5-2520M

i5-2510E

i5-2450M

i5-2435M

i5-2430M

i5-2410M

For the AMD, it's soldiered on the motherboard, you can't upgrade it, why did you say you could? Are you sure you looked correctly???

2 minutes ago, TheVideosChannel said:

Wait, what??? How can you confuse RAM and CPU, I don't get it!

1 minute ago, wkdpaul said:

For the Pentium, I would say any i5 would be a good buy, I just don't know if they are compatible with your motherboard;

i5-2540M

i5-2520M

i5-2510E

i5-2450M

i5-2435M

i5-2430M

i5-2410M

For the AMD, it's soldiered on the motherboard, you can't upgrade it, why did you say you could? Are you sure you looked correctly???

Wait, what??? How can you confuse RAM and CPU, I don't get it!

Hmm, I thought I could take it out. I will take another look.

17 minutes ago, TheVideosChannel said:

has nothing to do with what motherboard you have but if it actually will accept the CPU ... it will fit physically but the BIOS might not support it. There's no way to know if it's compatible since laptops usually don't have the type of support list regular motherboard have.

Those CPU should be around $20 anyway, so it's not an expensive test and it might work perfectly.

1 minute ago, wkdpaul said:

Ok thanks!