7970 Ghz or R9 280x

Dom1912

First and foremost, I appreciate these cards are near identical.

I've been waiting to get a new card for a fair while now, and have been advised repeatedly to wait for AMD to announce their new Hawaii line. This time has come, and I may as well not have waited.

From what I've seen the 7970 Ghz pretty universally beats the r9 280x, even if it is by the tiniest of margins. 

The only reason I would purchase an r9 280x is because of the supposed price discrepancy.. which for me in the UK doesn't seem to exist at this point in time. 

Add to this that the Never Settle Bundle is currently only on the 7000 series card, and there seems almost no reason to purchase the r9 280x.

Am I missing something here, or should I purchase a 7970 Ghz card over an r9 280x?

Thanks in advance.

280X = 7970 GHz

Everything is the same and since the 7970 is cheaper go for that.

Asrock 890GX Extreme 3 - AMD Phenom II X4 955 @3.50GHz - Arctic Cooling Freezer XTREME Rev.2 - 4GB Kingston HyperX - AMD Radeon HD7850 - Kingston V300 240GB - Samsung Spinpoint F3 1TB - Chieftec APS-750 - Cooler Master HAF912 PLUS

osu! profile

Just a little question; is honeymelon and watermelon same thing?

Honeymelon over here is the Honeydew, which is not the same to the watermelon. I know, I cook :P

Andres "Bluejay" Alejandro Montefusco - The Forums Favorite Bird!!!

Top Clock: 7.889 Ghz Cooled by: Liquid Helium   

#ChocolateRAM #OatmealFans #ScratchItHarder #WorstcardBestoverclocker #CrazySexStories #SchnitzelQuest TS3 SERVER

Just a little question; is honeymelon and watermelon same thing?

Wtf is honeymelon?

“Snorting instant coffee is the best,” said Kayla Johns, 19, of Portland.

It is the same, go for whatever you find with a decent price.

My rig: CPU: Intel core i5 4670K MoBo: MSI Z87-G45 Gaming RAM: Kingston HyperX Beast 2x4GB 1600mhz CL9 GPU: EVGA GTX780 SC ACX SSD: ADATA Premier Pro SP900 256GBHDD: Western Digital RED 2TB PSU: FSP Aurum CM 750W Case: Cooler Master HAF XM OS: Windows 8 Pro

My Build log, the Snowbird (heavy WIP): http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/188011-snowbird-by-lachy/?hl=snowbird

Wtf is honeymelon?

I am not sure if I am completely right (LOL) but it's that yellow melon-like thing.

My rig: CPU: Intel core i5 4670K MoBo: MSI Z87-G45 Gaming RAM: Kingston HyperX Beast 2x4GB 1600mhz CL9 GPU: EVGA GTX780 SC ACX SSD: ADATA Premier Pro SP900 256GBHDD: Western Digital RED 2TB PSU: FSP Aurum CM 750W Case: Cooler Master HAF XM OS: Windows 8 Pro

My Build log, the Snowbird (heavy WIP): http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/188011-snowbird-by-lachy/?hl=snowbird

I am not sure if I am completely right (LOL) but it's that yellow melon-like thing.

Generally they are green from my experiences. (Not to be confused with cantaloupes)

However, they are both types of musk melons and I have gotten Honeydew/melon that are orange/yellow before.

Watermelons are not musk melons so no. It's like comparing an apple and an orange.

As for the cards, yes apples to apples.

Get whatever is cheapest.

Man this topic is fruity.

Wouldn't the only main difference be direct x 11.2 and mantle compatibility, which down the line could mean a wider performance gap ?

Spoiler

if you want mantle support then 280x. otherwise a 7970 matrix platinum can be had for the cheap and will oc like a beast.

Rig Specs:

AMD Threadripper 5990WX@4.8Ghz

Asus Zenith III Extreme

Asrock OC Formula 7970XTX Quadfire

G.Skill Ripheartout X OC 7000Mhz C28 DDR5 4X16GB  

Super Flower Power Leadex 2000W Psu's X2

Harrynowl's 775/771 OC and mod guide: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/232325-lga775-core2duo-core2quad-overclocking-guide/ http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/365998-mod-lga771-to-lga775-cpu-modification-tutorial/

ProKoN haswell/DC OC guide: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/41234-intel-haswell-4670k-4770k-overclocking-guide/

"desperate for just a bit more money to watercool, the titan x would be thankful" Carter -2016

Wtf is honeymelon?

It's actually called Honeydew ;) ^ like what this guy said. THEY'RE DA. BOMB. 

CORSAIR AIR 540 | CORSAIR AX1200i | GIGABYTE 990FXA-UD7 REV 3.0

AMD 8350 Vishera 5.0GHz @ 1.525V | CORSAIR H100i Push/Pull | CORSAIR VENGEANCE 32GB  DDR3 1600Mhz

KINGSTON HYPER 3K 120GB (2) RAID 0 | SEAGATE BARRACUDA 1.5TB (4) RAID 5 | EVGA GTX 770 4GB FTW ACX (SLI) | CORSAIR AX1200i

It's actually called Honeydew ;) ^ like what this guy said. THEY'RE DA. BOMB. 

Freaking delicious! Amazing for when making a cake with fruit toppings! I RECOMMEND!

And I also recommend the 280X!

Andres "Bluejay" Alejandro Montefusco - The Forums Favorite Bird!!!

Top Clock: 7.889 Ghz Cooled by: Liquid Helium   

#ChocolateRAM #OatmealFans #ScratchItHarder #WorstcardBestoverclocker #CrazySexStories #SchnitzelQuest TS3 SERVER

I would just go with the 280x just because its newer. Its kind of disappointing though, that after so much time of waiting, the 300 dollar mid-high range card is something that you can already get for cheaper. Here is a windforce 7970 you can get for $269  http://www.ncix.com/products/?sku=67547&vpn=GV-R797OC-3GD&manufacture=Gigabyte&promoid=1645. the same windforce version of the 280x is $320. I get it that the R9-290x will probably be really awesome and fast, but that is just way out of almost everybody's budget for a video card. I was expecting some better option for whatever their $300 dollar card would have been. If I am somehow missing something(which I hope I am), please tell me.

Edited by Mcdoorknob

Generally they are green from my experiences. (Not to be confused with cantaloupes)

However, they are both types of musk melons and I have gotten Honeydew/melon that are orange/yellow before.

Watermelons are not musk melons so no. It's like comparing an apple and an orange.

As for the cards, yes apples to apples.

Get whatever is cheapest.

Man this topic is fruity.

They are green/yellow-orange depending on how they are ripe, I like the yellow more.

I would just go with the 280x just because its newer. Its kind of disappointing though, that after so much time of waiting, the 300 dollar mid-high range card is something that you can already get for cheaper. Here is a windforce 7970 you can get for $269  http://www.ncix.com/products/?sku=67547&vpn=GV-R797OC-3GD&manufacture=Gigabyte&promoid=1645. the same windforce version of the 280x is $320. I get it that the R9-290x will probably be really awesome and fast, but that is just way out of almost everybody's budget for a video card. I was expecting some better option for whatever their $300 dollar card would have been. If I am somehow missing something(which I hope I am), please tell me.

I'm feeling the same. I was thinking of selling my Asus 7950 top gpu (which is awesome) and getting a new one...it seems, that by the benchmarks the 290x will be the only card worth getting, and it's out of my budget. 

CPU: 5930K @ 4.5GHz | GPU: Zotac GTX 980Ti AMP! Extreme edition @ 1503MHz/7400MHz | RAM: 16GB Corsair Dom Plat @ 2667MHz CAS 13 | Motherboard: Asus X99 Sabertooth | Boot Drive: 400GB Intel 750 Series NVMe SSD | PSU: Corsair HX1000i | Monitor: Dell U2713HM 1440p monitor

They are green/yellow-orange depending on how they are ripe, I like the yellow more.

Really? I did not know this... The ones I normally find at the store/get at my grandparents are green.

I'm feeling the same. I was thinking of selling my Asus 7950 top gpu (which is awesome) and getting a new one...it seems, that by the benchmarks the 290x will be the only card worth getting, and it's out of my budget. 

Yeah, if you don't already have a decent card. It is a pretty good deal. But hardly any better of a deal than what we already had. Not very suited for people in your case, Unless the R9-290 comes in at like 400 dollars. I will probably end up just getting a 280x anyways though, seeing as I am currently running GTX 460 sli. I'm waiting to see what the next never settle bundle will have to offef

Personally I would wait until beginning of next year as supposedly BF4 will implement mantel support in December. That hopefully will give a good indication of what level of performance that feature will provide over the 7970. If you need to buy now I would think buying 280X is safer because of the identical performance but headroom for possible improvement as the new technologies it supports are better implemented. Also, waiting a little more should give you a better idea of what Nvidia will offer in rebutal, if you don't mind switching sides.

Just get the Gigabyte Radeon HD 7970 WF 3X GHz. It's the same thing as the 280X and a great buy.

Intel Core i7-8700K @ 4.8GHz | Corsair H110i GTX | EVGA RTX 2080 XC | Asus ROG Maximus XI | Intel M.2 nVME SSD 1TB | Samsung 850 EVO 2X2TB | 32GB G.SKILL Trident Z 3200MHz CL14 RAM | EVGA SuperNova GS 1050W | Kept cool & quiet in a Fractal Design Define R5 Window with all Noctua fans

I'd overlooked the fact that 7970's won't be mantle compatible, it's enough of a difference to warrant me getting a 280x, especially if mantle is coming to bf4 later this year.