Project Deadpool - R9 390, i7 4790K

First-Official-Deadpool-2016-Promotional-Banner-deadpool-2016-38737061-1800-600.jpg

Hardware

All prices in CAD

- Intel i7-4790K | $475.00

- Asus Maximus VII Formula | $525.00

- Corsair Vengeance (Red/Black) 32GB 4X8 2400Mhz | $185.00

- MSI R9 390 8GB Gaming | $450.00

- Corsair 760T Black | $240.00

- Asus Xonar DSX | $70.00

- Corsair H100i V2 | $135.00

- EVGA Supernova 750 G2 | $145.00

- Adata SX900 256GB | $160.00

- Mushkin Reactor 1TB | $250.00

- 2x Seagate Barracuda 3TB HDD | $125.00 each

- 2x Seagate Barracuda 1TB HDD | $60 each

- 1x Western Digital Green 2TB HDD | FREE (from work)

- 3x Corsair AF140 Red LED fan | $25.00 (2 came with case)

- 2x Corsair SP 120 Red LED fan | $20.00

- Corsair AF 120 Red LED fan | $20.00

- @CableMod Red/Black E-Series Sleeved Cables | $10.00

- 3x White LED strips from Amazon (50CM) | $3.00 each

- 6x Red LED strips from Amazon (50CM) | $3.00 each

- Windows 10 Pro | FREE (through MSDNAA)

Peripherals

All prices in CAD

- 2x 24" Asus VS248H-P | $250.00 each

- Corsair K70 RGB | $180.00

- Razer Mamba 2012 | $150.00

- Razer Goliathus (Large) | $20.00

- Audio Technica ATH-M50x | $180.00

- Audio Technica AT-2020 USB | $200.00

- Generic mic arm w/ shockmount & popfilter | $60.00

- Generic dual monitor stand | $100.00

PCPartPicker Completed Build

https://ca.pcpartpicker.com/b/hh4CmG

Inspiration

Way back in grade 10 I built my first computer. It was quite the challenge and just the idea of completing a low end gaming computer was awesome. It was my first ever build known as Project-Firestorm. It featured many mid-range components for it's time, including a 560ti and a 2500K. It didn't have any specific themes other than the NZXT orange LED strip and the black NZXT tempest elite. This computer was my pride and joy up until last year when I decided it was time for an upgrade. Over the past year I have slowly been upgrading the internals of project firestorm until I had enough new components to split into two computers, being able to rebuild my original and start fresh with Project Deadpool.

After spending many hours watching various reviews I was set on purchasing the 760T to house my new beast. Using the excess money from my student loans (I don't encourage you to do this!) I ordered the 760T I ordered along with the ram kit and the cablemods cables, targeting a red and black theme. Sadly the build process would have to wait since it was the week before exams when all of the parts were ready to go. After my exams were done I finally had time to finish this beast, spending a good 4 hours one night I transferred all of the shiny new guts of project-firestom into project-deadpool and then restoring project-firestorm to it's original state. Sadly I didn't document this process so there are no images, but I must admit it was quite fun to be building a second computer!

Challenges/Mods

Since this was my second time building a computer my main goal was aesthetics. I already had the power available to me. There were three main challenges I faced during the process:

1. The USB header cables were random colors
  2. The MSI logo glows white and I wanted it to be red
  3. The roof of the 760T was sitting right on top of the case, with no room for air circulation.
  4. Cable combs were hard to find, and way to expensive to ship to Canada (once my student loans were depleted)

Here's how I fixed these issues:

1. Well this fix may seem cheesy and is only a short term, cheap fix, all I did was wrap the multicolored cables tightly in matte black electric tape. This helps the cables look hidden so people's attention isn't drawn there. My long term goal will be to custom sleeve them. 
  2. I attempted a few things to fix this issue. My first thought was to take a red sharpie and marker over the white area of the logo. While this did produce a red color, the shading was very uneven and it looked terrible. My next plan was to tape some red plastic over the LED, and again this worked but the lighting was uneven. So I ended up bying a "sample" of red vinyl wrap for a car (5"x5") for like 3 bucks on e-bay, shipped from within Canada. I then took a piece of paper and traced the area of the dragon LED. I then used this paper template to cut the vinyl sticker and carefully applied it over the sticker. It produced some nice results, as seen in the images below.
  3. This fix was quite simple. I grabbed some magnets from the dollar store and placed them between the top of the case and the roof hatch. They magnets are black so they blend in well however they give almost 1cm for airflow, which is plenty for the top mounted H100i v2.
  4. Lastly the hardest challenge was finding cable combs for my sleeved cables. First of all the E-series sleeved cables had 26 wires instead of 24 for the ATX cable, so this didn't meet most requirements for cable combs. I also wanted to go with red/black cable combs instead of clear, since I don't really like the look of clear ones. I ended up finding some cable combs but it would have been over $50 just to get them to my place. So I resorted to my next best option, make some cable combs my self. I found a nice template online and modified it to suit my needs: 14pin Gfx card (6 & 6 + 2) and the 26 pin ATX. I was able to print these in red & black for free at my university's maker space and boy did they ever turn out great!

Untitled-1.png

Long Term Goals

• Entirely sleeved
    • Sleeved USB connectors Done!
    • Sleeved front panel IO Done!
    • Sleeved Fans
  • Better Cable Management Done!
  • Remove drive bays
  • Full front fan grill
  • Harline water cooling

Pictures

As of August 4th, 2016

The side panel

7fq2WnS.jpg

Another angle of the side panel, really revealing the underglow

1uvhu1E.jpg

A view of the rear I/O

C2E9u1B.jpg

A direct view of the rear I/O showing off the LED strip to illuminate the ports

AhhDrjm.jpg

A better view of the LED strip

nWzoXX7.jpg

A view from the rear angle

MCcFgzJ.jpg

Glorious LEDs

fNmI0Jy.jpg

How I see my computer when sitting in my chair

snFrVMb.jpg

The front panel

dUhW7qU.jpg

The guts of the beast

dlXkQvp.jpg

The main components (CPU, RAM, MOBO, GPU)

jLwUzU2.jpg

A closeup of the Ram

YyMxDin.jpg

Deadpool is watching you...nSHYU5H.jpg

MSI R9 390 Year of the Dragon backplate

lommf3g.jpg

My custom 3D printed cable combs

EDxOGDk.jpg

More custom 3D printed cable combs

uKTkiox.jpg

My boot SSD

f8fdza2.jpg

My games SSD

Tl3pfb0.png

My setup, project deadpool and firestorm both visible

iDei4xi.jpg

A view of the perheriphals

e0KcJeq.jpg

A view of the monitors

lq8ex5F.jpg

Project Deadpool - My view

UB1zwh6.jpg

New vs Old (deadpool vs Firestorm)

A2f0j3T.jpg

The cable (un)management

93vaIlJ.jpg

Project Firestorm - Left side panel

uVbH85b.jpg

Project Firestorm - right side panel

3SxvvHX.jpg

There are 10 types of people in this world, those who can read binary and those who can't.

There are 10 types of people in this world, those who can read hexadecimal and F the rest.

~Fletch

8 minutes ago, Belgarathian said:

Looks fantastic!

Project Deadpool - Massive AC logo. O.o

Someone on /r/pcmr also said the same thing! The reason is I name all of my computers after marvel characters, so due to the red/black theme this one became known as Deadpool. However I was a big fan of AC syndicate, so I wanted to get that vinyl on the side of the case. However I do have the deadpool within the case, and the theme does meet the color scheme of deadpool :)

There are 10 types of people in this world, those who can read binary and those who can't.

There are 10 types of people in this world, those who can read hexadecimal and F the rest.

~Fletch

1 minute ago, fletch to 99 said:

Someone on /r/pcmr also said the same thing! The reason is I name all of my computers after marvel characters, so due to the red/black theme this one became known as Deadpool. However I was a big fan of AC syndicate, so I wanted to get that vinyl on the side of the case. However I do have the deadpool within the case, and the theme does meet the color scheme of deadpool :)

My favorite AC game so far has to be the AC II Trilogy. 

Not a bad looker, that back "cable unmanagement"... 

LINK-> Kurald Galain:  The Night Eternal 

Top 5820k, 980ti SLI Build in the World*

CPU: i7-5820k // GPU: SLI MSI 980ti Gaming 6G // Cooling: Full Custom WC //  Mobo: ASUS X99 Sabertooth // Ram: 32GB Crucial Ballistic Sport // Boot SSD: Samsung 850 EVO 500GB

Mass SSD: Crucial M500 960GB  // PSU: EVGA Supernova 850G2 // Case: Fractal Design Define S Windowed // OS: Windows 10 // Mouse: Razer Naga Chroma // Keyboard: Corsair k70 Cherry MX Reds

Headset: Senn RS185 // Monitor: ASUS PG348Q // Devices: Note 10+ - Surface Book 2 15"

LINK-> Ainulindale: Music of the Ainur 

Prosumer DYI FreeNAS

CPU: Xeon E3-1231v3  // Cooling: Noctua L9x65 //  Mobo: AsRock E3C224D2I // Ram: 16GB Kingston ECC DDR3-1333

HDDs: 4x HGST Deskstar NAS 3TB  // PSU: EVGA 650GQ // Case: Fractal Design Node 304 // OS: FreeNAS

17 hours ago, Belgarathian said:

My favorite AC game so far has to be the AC II Trilogy. 

Still have to play that one

16 hours ago, Curufinwe_wins said:

Not a bad looker, that back "cable unmanagement"... 

Yeah haha it's pretty bad right now.

14 hours ago, ItsLukenotLucas said:

*Droolll*

Glad you like it! or are you just hungry? ;)

~Fletch

4 hours ago, fletch to 99 said:

Still have to play that one

Yeah haha it's pretty bad right now.

Glad you like it! or are you just hungry? ;)

Lol

• 4 weeks later...

Just a little update...

Today I recieved some MDPC-X sleeving along with some custom made sleeved SATA data cables made by https://beyondcustoms.net/. I used the sleeving to sleeve my Corsair H100i V2 USB 2.0 internal connector.

Here are some images:

IMG_0062.JPG

IMG_0056.JPG

IMG_0058.JPG

IMG_0060.JPG

IMG_0052.JPG

IMG_0053.JPG

IMG_0054.JPG

~Fletch

since we have same GPU with different brand, how was the temperature of your R9 390 with max load? mine was 93C just playing Dota2.. was it normal?

sorry for bad English..thanks bro ^^