South Carolina's Legislature Banning Implementation of the ACA

wpirobotbuilder

The South Carolina state House passed a bill Wednesday that declares President Obama’s Patient Protection and Affordable Care Act to be “null and void,” and criminalizes its implementation.

The state’s Freedom of Health Care Protection Act intends to “prohibit certain individuals from enforcing or attempting to enforce such unconstitutional laws; and to establish criminal penalties and civil liability for violating this article.”

Source: http://www.washingtontimes.com/news/2013/may/2/south-carolina-house-passes-bill-making-obamacare-/

I don't really care what people think of the ACA, but having states not implement it will make the law less effective, which critics can point at to denounce the law. Sort of a self-fulfilling prophecy.

Also, states are not allowed to nullify federal laws, a position which has been upheld by the Supreme Court, most notably in Cooper v. Aaron when they ruled that southern states could not use nullification to prevent integration of the public school system.

Interesting side note, this slightly resembles the Nullification Crisis.

I do not feel obliged to believe that the same God who has endowed us with sense, reason and intellect has intended us to forgo their use, and by some other means to give us knowledge which we can attain by them. - Galileo Galilei
Build Logs: Tophat (in progress), DNAF | Useful Links: How To: Choosing Your Storage Devices and Configuration, Case Study: RAID Tolerance to Failure, Reducing Single Points of Failure in Redundant Storage , Why Choose an SSD?, ZFS From A to Z (Eric1024), Advanced RAID: Survival Rates, Flashing LSI RAID Cards (alpenwasser), SAN and Storage Networking

Very nice, now if only the rest of the country would take suit and get rid of "ObamaCare"

Corsair C70 | Gigabyte Widnforce R9 280x | AMD FX8320 3.5ghz | Corsair 750m | Gigabyte 990FXA-ud3 | Mushkin 120gb SSD | Seagate Barracuda 1tb | Mushkin 16gb ddr3 1333mhz Ram

HMMM, I WONDER WHERE IN HISTROY HAVE I SEEN THIS BEFORE?

well you directly state where it's been repeated in history, and from that we established the Supremacy clause, so not sure where NC is going with this

If it gets attention, the Supreme Court will just shut it down. States cannot nullify federal laws.

Yes, the supremacy clause. What I'm wondering is why NC even bothers doing this if it's nothing aside from appeasing the people and then criminalizing Obama because it's his fault the Supreme court tells them 'no.'

I think they are trying to force the Supreme Court to ask the question of "Is this Constitutional?". 

Not about them nullifying federal laws, but about ObamaCare in general being Constitutional. It's a bit dumb imo. 

I'm not "for" ObamaCare (or forced insurance in general), but Unconstitutional? I don't see where that comes from, but whatever.

I'm pretty sure it was already taken to court before and declared constitutional.

You can check if you want, but I'm like 95% sure

Error: 410

well you directly state where it's been repeated in history, and from that we established the Supremacy clause, so not sure where NC is going with this

If it gets attention, the Supreme Court will just shut it down. States cannot nullify federal laws.

I do not feel obliged to believe that the same God who has endowed us with sense, reason and intellect has intended us to forgo their use, and by some other means to give us knowledge which we can attain by them. - Galileo Galilei
Build Logs: Tophat (in progress), DNAF | Useful Links: How To: Choosing Your Storage Devices and Configuration, Case Study: RAID Tolerance to Failure, Reducing Single Points of Failure in Redundant Storage , Why Choose an SSD?, ZFS From A to Z (Eric1024), Advanced RAID: Survival Rates, Flashing LSI RAID Cards (alpenwasser), SAN and Storage Networking

Yes, the supremacy clause. What I'm wondering is why NC even bothers doing this if it's nothing aside from appeasing the people and then criminalizing Obama because it's his fault the Supreme court tells them 'no.'

I think they are trying to force the Supreme Court to ask the question of "Is this Constitutional?". 

Not about them nullifying federal laws, but about ObamaCare in general being Constitutional. It's a bit dumb imo. 

I'm not "for" ObamaCare (or forced insurance in general), but Unconstitutional? I don't see where that comes from, but whatever.

† Christian Member †

For my pertinent links to guides, reviews, and anything similar, go here, and look under the spoiler labeled such. A brief history of Unix and it's relation to OS X by Builder.

They did. It was declared constitutional about a year ago.

http://www.thesouthend.wayne.edu/archives/article_c2ab44e7-f131-5498-899b-160b1466abfd.html

They did. It was declared constitutional about a year ago.

http://www.thesouthend.wayne.edu/archives/article_c2ab44e7-f131-5498-899b-160b1466abfd.html

Ah, well alrighty then. 

I don't see a point to doing this then. Unless they think they will win the court case. Or they are just being stubborn.

Probably the latter. Not that the former is impossible. Just very unlikely.

† Christian Member †

For my pertinent links to guides, reviews, and anything similar, go here, and look under the spoiler labeled such. A brief history of Unix and it's relation to OS X by Builder.

yay, my home state is on the news yet again

Main rig: Coursair Air 540, Amd 8120(stock clock, had it up to 4.6), Gigabyte 990 fx ud3,  MSI DCU2 r9 280x, seasonic 1000w platinum, Samsung 830 64 GB ssd, Seagate 1tb, 4 GB (2x2) G.Skill, 

Secondary: Define r4, Amd A10 5800k(4.6), 1x Sapphire 7950, MSI FM2-A85xa, 8 GB coursair vengeance ram, Seasonic 1250w Gold, 500GB 840 Evo, 223GB 2.5 Hdd, 80 Gb Seasonic, Samsung CD/dvd

yay, my home state is on the news yet again

Ha! That's how I feel every week.

Ah, well alrighty then. 

I don't see a point to doing this then. Unless they think they will win the court case. Or they are just being stubborn.

Probably the latter. Not that the former is impossible. Just very unlikely.

It just sounds like a Red state trying to demonize anything that has to do with the Dems. the Reps. are saying 'we should work with the Dems. to get things done' and then they do shit like this and also shut the damn government down. Not to mention several PR nightmares that have happened during the shutdown. This country is being torn apart by dumbasses on both sides.

Motherboard - Gigabyte P67A-UD5 Processor - Intel Core i7-2600K RAM - G.Skill Ripjaws @1600 8GB Graphics Cards  - MSI and EVGA GeForce GTX 580 SLI PSU - Cooler Master Silent Pro 1,000w SSD - OCZ Vertex 3 120GB x2 HDD - WD Caviar Black 1TB Case - Corsair Obsidian 600D Audio - Asus Xonar DG

Hail Sithis!

It just sounds like a Red state trying to demonize anything that has to do with the Dems. the Reps. are saying 'we should work with the Dems. to get things done' and then they do shit like this and also shut the damn government down. Not to mention several PR nightmares that have happened during the shutdown. This country is being torn apart by dumbasses on both sides.

http://www.dailymotion.com/video/x15p4ux_the-daily-show-with-jon-stewart-shutstorm-2013-america-sits-on-its-balls-web-site-down-team-nihilism_fun

CPU: 5820k 4.5Ghz 1.28v, RAM: 16GB Crucial 2400mhz, Motherboard: Evga X99 Micro, Graphics Card: GTX 780, Water Cooling: EK Acetal CPU/GPU blocks,

240mm Magicool slim rad, 280mm Alphacool rad, D5 Vario pump, 1/4 ID 3/4 OD tubing, Noctua Redux 140/120mm fans. PSU: Evga 750w G2 SSD: Samsung 850 Pro 256GB & Seagate SSHD 2TB Audio: Sennheiser HD558s, JBL! speakers, Fiio E10k DAC/Amp Monitor: Xstar DP2710LED @ 96hz (Korean Monitor) Case: Fractal Node 804

Of COURSE it was going to be a southern state. Anything to win the votes of blood-red republican voters.

I serously dont understand why the USA is complaining about obama trying to form a public health system, minimal wage is terrible over there so there are going to be thousands if not millions of people going without the care they need.

and all I've heard is people complain about it going to cost too much ... they need to grow up there are some things need to be in place that is more important then just money

Its all about those volumetric clouds

I serously dont understand why the USA is complaining about obama trying to form a public health system, minimal wage is terrible over there so there are going to be thousands if not millions of people going without the care they need.

and all I've heard is people complain about it going to cost too much ... they need to grow up there are some things need to be in place that is more important then just money

While there might be some things that are more important than money and I do agree with that, you still need to have enough money to pay for those things. And I don't think raising the debt ceiling should count as making it affordable, all that did was push the debt crisis down the road six months. On top of that, even if they got more money that they could use o pay off some of the debt, but they would just spend it instead.

Main rig: Coursair Air 540, Amd 8120(stock clock, had it up to 4.6), Gigabyte 990 fx ud3,  MSI DCU2 r9 280x, seasonic 1000w platinum, Samsung 830 64 GB ssd, Seagate 1tb, 4 GB (2x2) G.Skill, 

Secondary: Define r4, Amd A10 5800k(4.6), 1x Sapphire 7950, MSI FM2-A85xa, 8 GB coursair vengeance ram, Seasonic 1250w Gold, 500GB 840 Evo, 223GB 2.5 Hdd, 80 Gb Seasonic, Samsung CD/dvd

While there might be some things that are more important than money and I do agree with that, you still need to have enough money to pay for those things. And I don't think raising the debt ceiling should count as making it affordable, all that did was push the debt crisis down the road six months. On top of that, even if they got more money that they could use o pay off some of the debt, but they would just spend it instead.

agree ... but public health should of been in place years ago ... just like in australia we dont have fibre, because of this delay its just costing more.

to help people around the poverty line you either have assistance packages like public health and education so there are ways of them getting out of the rut they are in or improve the minimal wage.

I still feel sorry for adults getting bugger all having to work 60+ hours a week to be able to pay the bills

agree ... but public health should of been in place years ago ... just like in australia we dont have fibre, because of this delay its just costing more.

to help people around the poverty line you either have assistance packages like public health and education so there are ways of them getting out of the rut they are in or improve the minimal wage.

I still feel sorry for adults getting bugger all having to work 60+ hours a week to be able to pay the bills

I don't want to say it's not good to help people, but they also shouldn't be able to live off the system while not trying to work. If they raise the minimum wage it might help people who only earn that much, but it will also raise the prices of almost anything because it will cost more to produce them. Besides that, I don't want to have to spend my life paying for this generations entitlements that I might never get to collect on.

I don't want to say it's not good to help people, but they also shouldn't be able to live off the system while not trying to work. If they raise the minimum wage it might help people who only earn that much, but it will also raise the prices of almost anything because it will cost more to produce them. Besides that, I don't want to have to spend my life paying for this generations entitlements that I might never get to collect on.

Sooo keep the poor poor and the rich rich your saying?, public health and the dole are a different thing .... cancer treatment is expensive as hell public health helps people get access to treatments

Sooo keep the poor poor and the rich rich your saying?, public health and the dole are a different thing .... cancer treatment is expensive as hell public health helps people get access to treatments

I won't disagree with cancer treatment being ridiculously and excessively expensive and that people should have it. On that note everything in health care just costs too much. In my opinion there is no way to easily fix the system without commuting political suicide, which nobody is going to do.

What is "the dole"? ... *confused*

I am against Public Health so long as it is forced. What I mean by that is that it is fine if a law is passed to have social care, but people should be allowed to opt out of paying into if it they wish. I feel that way about insurance as well. And those go hand in hand.

To be perfectly honest, we don't really get a choice in the matter (the United States). The social care programs' costs grow along with the total number of elderly people in the country. More people are living longer. So the costs are growing exponentially and there is no way to stop this without significantly cutting away at said programs. ... Or killing off most of the elderly population, but obviously that's wrong and shouldn't happen.

We literally don't get a choice. Either we get rid of the programs (at the very least, in part), or we get crushed under the immense financial burden that it will inevitably place upon us (the country). Or the US does it's usual Jedi mind trick, wave of the hand thing where it says "You don't need any more money..." to the debt collectors and it somehow works. But what would happen if we did that, I don't know. Money just doesn't magically appear. Unless you are the US government, and even then, they only have so much imaginary money to spend. 

You get the idea. 

† Christian Member †

the dole is a term used for welfare in australia, in australia people that earn over 70K ( i think) pay a higher tax rate or they go on private health ...

it just seems the choice is being made by people that arnt effected by it

the dole is a term used for welfare in australia, in australia people that earn over 70K ( i think) pay a higher tax rate or they go on private health

See, I like that. It offers a choice. Be a part of public healthcare and pay the extra taxes for it, or go private. 

I wish we had that. Right now, I have two options:

1. Get healthcare through my job and pay a very high premium (for my paycheck, and I'm not on minimum wage, but I'm close).

2. Don't have healthcare and get a very high fine (over $1,000 or something crazy like that) at tax time each year. 

The funny thing is: Going option 2 is cheaper, monthly/yearly, than option 1. Except I don't get healthcare and am basically burning money. 

It's absurd. And that is Obama's healthcare plan btw. That is how I'm directly affected by it (along with my 50 co-workers). 

† Christian Member †

See, I like that. It offers a choice. Be a part of public healthcare and pay the extra taxes for it, or go private. 

I wish we had that. Right now, I have two options:

1. Get healthcare through my job and pay a very high premium (for my paycheck, and I'm not on minimum wage, but I'm close).

2. Don't have healthcare and get a very high fine (over $1,000 or something crazy like that) at tax time each year. 

The funny thing is: Going option 2 is cheaper, monthly/yearly, than option 1. Except I don't get healthcare and am basically burning money. 

It's absurd. And that is Obama's healthcare plan btw. That is how I'm directly affected by it (along with my 50 co-workers). 

why is it a fine? 

there should be a tax that is suited to your income bracket, health care should be suited to choice e.g if you have known health problems or you earn fuck loads

why is it a fine? 

there should be a tax that is suited to your income bracket, health care should be suited to choice e.g if you have known health problems or you earn fuck loads

I agree with  that. 

And it's a fine because I am essentially taking myself out of the system by not paying for healthcare. So they have to get money to pay for healthcare one way or another. That is how we, as citizens, view it anyway. It might not be called a "fine", but it may as well be one. 

I work for an insurance licensing company. It's kind of literally our business to know about this stuff. That whole fine thing doesn't start until next year so that everyone has time to transition over, but still. We have no choice. Either we enter the public healthcare system, or we get fined for not doing so (essentially). I don't see that as a choice.

It'd be great if it worked like it does in the AU. But the US is weird about this kind of stuff. And I hate it.

† Christian Member †

why is it a fine? 

just out of curiosity, how is the AU health care system funded? Taxes? or do you just pay into it like insurance?

just out of curiosity, how is the AU health care system funded? Taxes? or do you just pay into it like insurance?

I believe by taxes. Though, tbh, paying into it like insurance isn't that different from taxes for it. It is in certain situations, just, mostly, it's the same thing.

† Christian Member †