1070 Bottlenecked by 6600k?

FatPenguin

So I have heard that if I get a 1070 to go with my 6600k it will be bottle necked. is that true?

3 tips to have a good time on the LTT forums | 1. When you reply to someone please quote them | 2. Please follow your threads | 3. Follow the C.o.C 

If you follow these 3 tips you should have a blast.

i'm rather proud of this for some reason. http://imgur.com/6ttS5XZ

For 1080p 144Hz, yes. Otherwise, it'll be fine at 1440p and above.

'Fanboyism is stupid' - someone on this forum.

Be nice to each other boys and girls. And don't cheap out on a power supply.

Spoiler

CPU: Intel Core i7 4790K - 4.5 GHz | Motherboard: ASUS MAXIMUS VII HERO | RAM: 32GB Corsair Vengeance Pro DDR3 | SSD: Samsung 850 EVO - 500GB | GPU: MSI GTX 980 Ti Gaming 6GB | PSU: EVGA SuperNOVA 650 G2 | Case: NZXT Phantom 530 | Cooling: CRYORIG R1 Ultimate | Monitor: ASUS ROG Swift PG279Q | Peripherals: Corsair Vengeance K70 and Razer DeathAdder

1 minute ago, FatPenguin said:

So I have heard that if I get a 1070 to go with my 6600k it will be bottle necked. is that true?

only is very cpu intensive games

Spoiler

My system is the Dell Inspiron 15 5559 Microsoft Signature Edition

The Austrailian king of LTT said that I'm awesome and a funny guy. the greatest psu list known to man DDR3 ram guide

i got 477 posts in my first 30 days on LinusTechTips.com

1 minute ago, HKZeroFive said:

Source on that? My gut feeling is that it would not be a bottleneck even for 144Hz. Maybe in very CPU demanding games, but not in general. 

2 minutes ago, HKZeroFive said:

I have a 1080p 60hz monitor is that gonna work or no?

3 tips to have a good time on the LTT forums | 1. When you reply to someone please quote them | 2. Please follow your threads | 3. Follow the C.o.C 

Just now, LAwLz said:

Source on that? My gut feeling is that it would not be a bottleneck even for 144Hz. Maybe in very CPU demanding games, but not in general. 

Yes it will, @don_svetlio

Elemental 

Spoiler

Intel i5 6500 @3.8ghz - 8GB HyperX - 600w Apex PSU - GTX 1060 G1 GIGABYTE 6GB - s340 Black - 240gb Toshiba Q300 - Cooler master TX3i - MSI z170-A PRO.

Old Build (sold for 290€)

Spoiler

Intel i3 540 @ 3.9ghz (On stock cooler, Hits 80c max) - 8gb ram - 500w power supply - P7H55-M LE  120gb SSD - Talius Drakko case

Project Frug 50$ Water loop

Laptops

Spoiler

13" Macbook Air - Alienware m14x r2 -  2009 15" Macbook Pro (I was give all of these and would never buy them myself)

Just now, FatPenguin said:

yea, for sure

This'll be probably total overkill, but yes it will work just fine

GUITAR BUILD LOG FROM SCRATCH OUT OF APPLEWOOD

- Ryzen Build -

R5 3600 | MSI X470 Gaming Plus MAX | 16GB CL16 3200MHz Corsair LPX | Dark Rock 4

MSI 2060 Super Gaming X

1TB Intel 660p | 250GB Kingston A2000 | 1TB Seagate Barracuda | 2TB WD Blue

be quiet! Silent Base 601 | be quiet! Straight Power 550W CM

2x Dell UP2516D

- First System (Retired) -

Intel Xeon 1231v3 | 16GB Crucial Ballistix Sport Dual Channel | Gigabyte H97 D3H | Gigabyte GTX 970 Gaming G1 | 525 GB Crucial MX 300 | 1 TB + 2 TB Seagate HDD
be quiet! 500W Straight Power E10 CM | be quiet! Silent Base 800 with stock fans | be quiet! Dark Rock Advanced C1 | 2x Dell UP2516D

Reviews: be quiet! Silent Base 800 | MSI GTX 950 OC

Just now, Darel321 said:

hahaha xD what a troll

I don't understand???

5 minutes ago, LAwLz said:

Here's my thread with @legacy99's results in Witcher 3 with his i5 4690K:

0334b6aedd2b1a7d83cd1ab5ee9ac211.jpg

4 minutes ago, FatPenguin said:

It'll be fine. It's only a concern for 1080p 144Hz.

Spoiler

CPU: Intel Core i7 4790K - 4.5 GHz | Motherboard: ASUS MAXIMUS VII HERO | RAM: 32GB Corsair Vengeance Pro DDR3 | SSD: Samsung 850 EVO - 500GB | GPU: MSI GTX 980 Ti Gaming 6GB | PSU: EVGA SuperNOVA 650 G2 | Case: NZXT Phantom 530 | Cooling: CRYORIG R1 Ultimate | Monitor: ASUS ROG Swift PG279Q | Peripherals: Corsair Vengeance K70 and Razer DeathAdder

4 minutes ago, HKZeroFive said:

I imagine any cpu will have some trouble on 144hz in some cases if the game isn't really made for it (feel free to correct me).  My understanding is that those refresh rates should be reserved for more competative games.

11 minutes ago, HKZeroFive said:

0334b6aedd2b1a7d83cd1ab5ee9ac211.jpg

I rate that thread as inconclusive, because it did not actually test if a a faster CPU would give more FPS (and only 1-2 games). You can't just say "well I get 100 FPS and my CPU is at 90% usage, so therefore it must be a CPU bottleneck!".

The "##% CPU/GPU utilization" measurements aren't that reliable either, because not all parts of the GPU are fit to do all types of work. If a certain part of the GPU is 100% taxed then it might still only show up at 30% GPU usage, because the rest of the GPU is sitting there waiting for the part that can't keep up.

In order to prove that it is a bottleneck you have to test with a better CPU.

For example here is a test in DOOM which shows that not even a Phenom II x4 at 3.2GHz will bottleneck a GTX 1060 in general (the RX 480 however, gets heavily bottlenecked like crazy).

1470093346592.png

1 minute ago, LAwLz said:

I rate that thread as inconclusive, because it did not actually test if a a faster CPU would give more FPS. You can't just say "well I get 100 FPS and my CPU is at 90% usage, so therefore it must be a CPU bottleneck!".

For example here is a test in DOOM which shows that not even a Phenom II x4 at 3.2GHz will bottleneck a GTX 1060 in general (the RX 480 however, gets heavily bottlenecked like crazy).

Rate it whatever you want, it's true.

CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 5800X3D GPU: AMD Radeon RX 6900 XT 16GB GDDR6 Motherboard: MSI PRESTIGE X570 CREATION
AIO: Corsair H150i Pro RAM: Corsair Dominator Platinum RGB 32GB 3600MHz DDR4 Case: Lian Li PC-O11 Dynamic PSU: Corsair RM850x White

15 minutes ago, Biggerboot said:

I imagine any cpu will have some trouble on 144hz in some cases if the game isn't really made for it (feel free to correct me).  My understanding is that those refresh rates should be reserved for more competative games.

I doubt that games are made with that sort of mindset. I'd like to think of it that all games are made for 144Hz gaming, it's just a matter of how hard or how easy it is to achieve 144FPS and above.

The higher the FPS, the more load will be placed on the CPU. The higher the resolution, the more load will be placed on the GPU. At 1080p 144Hz, it's in your best interest to go for a i7 with such a powerful GPU.

7 minutes ago, LAwLz said:

I rate that thread as inconclusive, because it did not actually test if a a faster CPU would give more FPS. You can't just say "well I get 100 FPS and my CPU is at 90% usage, so therefore it must be a CPU bottleneck!".

Feel free to ask @legacy99 himself. The whole i5 4690K bottlenecking the GTX 1070 debacle is the reason why he got an i7 6700K.

Spoiler

42 minutes ago, FatPenguin said:

At 1080p it's a bottleneck. AT 1440p no.

Archangel (Desktop) CPU: i5 4590 GPU:Asus R9 280  3GB RAM:HyperX Beast 2x4GBPSU:SeaSonic S12G 750W Mobo:GA-H97m-HD3 Case:CM Silencio 650 Storage:1 TB WD Red
Celestial (Laptop 1) CPU:i7 4720HQ GPU:GTX 860M 4GB RAM:2x4GB SK Hynix DDR3Storage: 250GB 850 EVO Model:Lenovo Y50-70
Seraph (Laptop 2) CPU:i7 6700HQ GPU:GTX 970M 3GB RAM:2x8GB DDR4Storage: 256GB Samsung 951 + 1TB Toshiba HDD Model:Asus GL502VT

Windows 10 is now MSX! - http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/440190-can-we-start-calling-windows-10/page-6

14 minutes ago, HKZeroFive said:

I doubt that games are made with that sort of mindset. I'd like to think of it that all games are made for 144Hz gaming, it's just a matter of how hard or how easy it is to achieve 144FPS and above.

The higher the FPS, the more load will be placed on the CPU. The higher the resolution, the more load will be placed on the GPU. At 1080p 144Hz, it's in your best interest to go for a i7 with such a powerful GPU.

Feel free to ask @legacy99 himself. The whole i5 4690K bottlenecking the GTX 1070 debacle is the reason why he got an i7 6700K.

Games benefit not only from i7's hyperthreading, but also from bigger L3 Cache, all of that helps greatly with frametimes which eliminates stuttering and improves overall gaming experience. Not to mention higher framerates on average.

CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 5800X3D GPU: AMD Radeon RX 6900 XT 16GB GDDR6 Motherboard: MSI PRESTIGE X570 CREATION
AIO: Corsair H150i Pro RAM: Corsair Dominator Platinum RGB 32GB 3600MHz DDR4 Case: Lian Li PC-O11 Dynamic PSU: Corsair RM850x White

2 minutes ago, don_svetlio said:

At 1080p it's a bottleneck. AT 1440p no.

How exactly is it a bottleneck at a lower resolution?

Nothing.

2 minutes ago, TheSuspect said:

How exactly is it a bottleneck at a lower resolution?

At lower resolutions, CPU has to work harder, as the bottleneck is not with GPU and it's able to push higher framerates. The CPU can push only so many framerates, if the GPU is able to push more, it's being bottlenecked. At a higher resolution the GPU is able to push less, therefore the CPU does not bottleneck. Couldn't put it simpler I believe.

2 hours ago, Morgan MLGman said:

At lower resolutions, CPU has to work harder, as the bottleneck is not with GPU and it's able to push higher framerates. The CPU can push only so many framerates, if the GPU is able to push more, it's being bottlenecked. At a higher resolution the GPU is able to push less, therefore the CPU does not bottleneck. Couldn't put it simpler I believe.

I think the reason he was confused was because don only mentioned resolution and not refresh rate.  At that point a cpu bottleneck won't matter though.

What I would take away from all of this is that if you're somebody with the sense to buy a 144hz monitor, you should have some top end CPU/GPU power to go with it.  This is an extreme case though, I wouldn't expect every game to run at 144 fps even with an i7.  That being said, if you have the budget for a 144hz monitor, you probably have the budget for an i7.

For the OP though, I'd say get the i5, but maybe also consider the 1060/480 instead of the 1070 if you want to save money.  More people would consider the 1070 the sweet spot for 1440p.

4 hours ago, HKZeroFive said:

This.

But honestly, Who Cares???

Even if you can have 140 fps instead 130 fps with an i7. Is this worth the Upgrade for YOU?

You need to ask yourself one Thing: The fps your CPU + GPU combination delivers you in your prefered settings. Are those fps enough for you? If yes, everything is fine. Np.

I mean.. As a Gamer you have ALWAYS a Bottleneck. There can Not be a situation, where you don't have a Bottleneck. If your CPU doesnt Bottleneck, your GPU will.

2160p on Maxed out details on dual Titan XP. Even then, the both Titans will Bottleneck. But who cares? You have those Hardware, and they can deliver xx fps to you. The Question is, of these fps are enough for you, or not.

You have the latest Technology with the i5 6600k. Only thing that's missing is Hyperthreading. that's not a big deal. And no reason to upgrade. OC a bit maybe, and you're more than fine.

11 minutes ago, Darkseth said:

This.

But honestly, Who Cares???

Even if you can have 140 fps instead 130 fps with an i7. Is this worth the Upgrade for YOU?

You need to ask yourself one Thing: The fps your CPU + GPU combination delivers you in your prefered settings. Are those fps enough for you? If yes, everything is fine. Np.

I mean.. As a Gamer you have ALWAYS a Bottleneck. There can Not be a situation, where you don't have a Bottleneck. If your CPU doesnt Bottleneck, your GPU will.

2160p on Maxed out details on dual Titan XP. Even then, the both Titans will Bottleneck. But who cares? You have those Hardware, and they can deliver xx fps to you. The Question is, of these fps are enough for you, or not.

You have the latest Technology with the i5 6600k. Only thing that's missing is Hyperthreading. that's not a big deal. And no reason to upgrade. OC a bit maybe, and you're more than fine.

You need to also consider the fact, that if you get a 1070 and a weak CPU, you'd realistically get the same performance as with the 1060. Additionally within the same budget you'd fit the 1060 and an i7 for example, so you won't be forced to upgrade your entire rig next time you need more performance, but instead you can just swap out the GPU.

No.

The i5 6600k just misses Hyperthreading. That isn't doing such a HUGE impact, that it loses 40% performance (even if Hyperthreading would scale 100%, it would barely scratch the +40% theiretical performance in synthetic benchmarks^^).

Even if the CPU bottlenecks a LITTLE BIT (it will NOT be more than that. We are still talking about an overclocked Skylake!), the 1070 will always be faster than the 1060.

You would have to pair it with an non-OC 6+  Year CPU, to have literaly no performance difference between 1060 and 1070.

You need to consider how MUCH it bottlenecks. It's not that it either doesn't bottleneck, or if it does, it jumps directly to -50% performance loss. It can be 0% bottleneck (in GPU intense games, like star wars battlefront), or 10%, or 15%. or 6,79%. ^^

5 minutes ago, Morgan MLGman said:

Rate it whatever you want, it's true.

That video only shows a partial CPU bottleneck, in one game, in a specific area. A single area in a single games is not enough to definitively say that a 1070 gets bottlenecked by a 6600K in general.

4 hours ago, Morgan MLGman said:

Seems like this video has been debunked in this thread:

17 minutes ago, Morgan MLGman said:

You need to also consider the fact, that if you get a 1070 and a weak CPU, you'd realistically get the same performance as with the 1060. Additionally within the same budget you'd fit the 1060 and an i7 for example, so you won't be forced to upgrade your entire rig next time you need more performance, but instead you can just swap out the GPU.

[Citation Needed]

Again, still haven't seen any actual evidence that supports the very broad statement that a 6600K will bottleneck a 1070.

I have so far seen one particular area in a single game showing a difference. That's it. One area in one game. In order to make a broad statement like "it does bottleneck a 1070", you need to have ten, 15 or 20 games tested. You can't make a generalization based on one or two games. So unless someone links me to a trusted reviewer sitting down with a test bench and tests a double digit amount of games, and only changing the CPU from a 6600K to a higher performing one, all these generalizations will be just that. Assumptions based on a insufficient evidence.

Not in general. On CPU-intense Games.

Witcher 3 is known to be quite CPU intense.

Most Games are still GPU-Bound, and the CPU doesnt Matter almost at all.^^

You can absolutely NOT make a general statement just because of ONE single Game.

Just like you can Not make any statement about Vulkan, if there's only One single game out.

And still: Just watch your own Video there in Witcher 3. Watch the i5 fps.

Are those fps enough for you? Yes? no problem.

No? Then you might wanna switch to an i7 (which runs on lower usage%, but still doesnt provide that much more fps).

I mean... Is Witcher 3 unplayable with an i5? Does it stutter? 

What i can see is, the fps are constantly above 60 fps --> smooth, since most people have a 60 Hz monitor, and should use VSync anyway^^

Since the Thread Operator did not mentioned, if he has a 60 Hz Monitor (i5 vs i7 is completely irrelevant), or a 144 Hz Monitor (i5 might bottleneck a bit more than an i7).