Power Supply Program Sparking

Goliathx

My Power supply is making a poping sound and sometimes sparks inside the power supply when I turn it on but still working just fine,

its only been doing this for a week, had it over 3 mouths.

Power supply: corsair rm850x

Graphics Card: asus gtx 970 strix

Motherboard: Crosshair V Formula Z AMD 990FX

CPU: Piledriver FX-8 Eight Core 8350 Black Edition 4.00GHz 

Does anyone know why?

SKINS GIVE YOU AIMBOT

ummmm if its popping and sparking... TURN IT OFFFFFFF.... 

Fire inc... 

Community Standards | Fan Control Software

Please make sure to Quote me or @ me to see your reply!

Just because I am a Moderator does not mean I am always right. Please fact check me and verify my answer. 

"Black Out"

Ryzen 9 5900x | Full Custom Water Loop | Asus Crosshair VIII Hero (Wi-Fi) | RTX 3090 Founders | Ballistix 32gb 16-18-18-36 3600mhz 

1tb Samsung 970 Evo | 2x 2tb Crucial MX500 SSD | Fractal Design Meshify S2 | Corsair HX1200 PSU

Dedicated Streaming Rig

Ryzen 7 3700x | Asus B450-F Strix | 16gb Gskill Flare X 3200mhz | Corsair RM550x PSU | Asus Strix GTX1070 | 250gb 860 Evo m.2

Phanteks P300A |  Elgato HD60 Pro | Avermedia Live Gamer Duo | Avermedia 4k GC573 Capture Card

When you turn it on, how? From the switch in the back? That's wouldn't be a spark, it'd be an electrical arc and perfectly normal. It can come and go according to humidity, temperature and so on. As the contacts in the switch come close and closer, at some point even before they touch, they're close enough so that electrons can pass over the air between them, ionizing the air, heating it up creating light and sound. But it's never a bad idea to have a professional take a look at it. 

17 minutes ago, Goliathx said:

My  is making a poping sound and sometimes sparks inside the power supply when I turn it on but still working just fine,

Does anyone know why?

Differently stop using it, Contact Corsair support if it is still under warranty. http://www.corsair.com/en-us/support/warranty

\

contact either corsair or the store you ordered the power supply from, that's a failed PSU right there.

some things to note, i shouldnt have to, but just in case you're not a person who is able to understand how you contact custommer service:

- be friendly, it not the guy's fault your psu is broken.

- explain as clearly as you can what the issue is, how long you had the power supply, and when it started.

- ask what their usual policies are, and (POLITELY!) request a replacement unit.

- when they authorize an RMA, ask specificly what you have to put back in the box, some stores dont really care about the cables or the manual, others wont accept it if not every little widget is back in there.

- when you send it back, pack it as neatly and as close to original as possible, its not only appreciated that it's not just a box of junk, but it also shows you respect your hardware, making them more inclined to work with you to resolve the issue.

4 hours ago, Goliathx said:

My Power supply is making a poping sound and sometimes sparks inside the power supply when I turn it on but still working just fine,

Does anyone know why?

Sounds like you need to take the PSU out and send it back to Corsair right away! Contact the Corsair support page linked below. @Corsair Joseph, @Corsair Georgeand a few others from Corsair browse this forum and can probably help you if you need more help. The RMx is a good PSU, you just got a dud. Happens to the best of us.

|PSU Tier List /80 Plus Efficiency| PSU stuff if you need it. 

My system: PCPartPicker || For Corsair support tag @Corsair Josephor @Corsair Nick || My 5MT Legacy GT Wagon ||

• 2 weeks later...
On 8/7/2016 at 5:20 AM, Goliathx said:

I totally missed this post, my fault. Since this is a late reply, I really hope that you're no longer using that PSU. 

I'd strongly suggest that you take it out and send it back to us via RMA so we can get you a replacement. If you have done that already, post your ticket and I may be able to assist on speeding up the process. 

1 hour ago, Corsair Joseph said:

I totally missed this post, my fault. Since this is a late reply, I really hope that you're no longer using that PSU. 

I'd strongly suggest that you take it out and send it back to us via RMA so we can get you a replacement. If you have done that already, post your ticket and I may be able to assist on speeding up the process. 

i dont usually ask this, but i'm kinda curious if you "agreed" to my post for the "RMA" bit, or for the instructions bit?

(if it was for the instructions, i may add them to future posts as well :P)

2 hours ago, Corsair Joseph said:

You guys should send me failed PSUs for failure analysis, so I can see what went wrong, and optionally post about it on the forums for those interested

I would pay shipping :D

14 hours ago, manikyath said:

i dont usually ask this, but i'm kinda curious if you "agreed" to my post for the "RMA" bit, or for the instructions bit?

(if it was for the instructions, i may add them to future posts as well :P)

I do agree, all those steps are pretty much on point. That's exactly how I would say it :)