Why does my cpu hit 90c under water?

Go to solution Solved by JewishBacon,

I changed the orientation of my rad fans to exhaust air out the top. MY desktop sits under my desk,  I have a feeling it was pulling in hot air that was trapped under the table. I also cleaned my radiator and made sure the water block was on TIGHT. Now under prime95 i hit 70 under load. 

I recently installed this neat hardware monitoring software called CAM (https://camwebapp.com/).

Yesterday I was converting some video files from one format to another, when I noticed that my 4770k takes about 2 mins to go from idle at 32-33c to 90-94c under 100% load. I'm using an H100i with some arctic silver. I even tried reapplying it and it still gets SO HOT. I know its the proper amount of thermal paste, and I know my pump is working (corsair LINK says its running at ~2300 rpm). Any ideas?

STEAM NAME: JewishBacon GPU  Sapphire dual x R9 280x OC edition CPU core i7 4770k stock speed COOLER H100i  CASE Fractal R4 Window Black  MOBO MSI gd-65 gaming Storage 1TB WD Blue drive, 1TB Samsung 7200 rpm, 120 GB OCZ SSD, 64 GB WD Blue ssd  RAM 12 GB @ 1600 Ghz kingston RAM  MiscNZXT HUE, disk read/write, 2x 21 inch 1920x1080 monitors   

Are the fans on your radiator working properly and increasing in speed when your CPU heats up?  Or maybe the software is reporting your temps wrong.

i5 12600k | ASRock Z690M-ITX 32GB Corsair Vengeance LPX DDR4 3200MHz | EVGA 2080 Super Black | Samsung 970 EVO Plus 500GB + 980 1TB | Corsair RMx 650W | Thermaltake Tower 100 White

Just now, Gamessys said:

Are the fans on your radiator working properly and increasing in speed when your CPU heats up?  Or maybe the software is reporting your temps wrong.

I also installed a secondary temp gauge that reported the same temps. im looking into the fan profiles now. maybe that the issue.

STEAM NAME: JewishBacon GPU  Sapphire dual x R9 280x OC edition CPU core i7 4770k stock speed COOLER H100i  CASE Fractal R4 Window Black  MOBO MSI gd-65 gaming Storage 1TB WD Blue drive, 1TB Samsung 7200 rpm, 120 GB OCZ SSD, 64 GB WD Blue ssd  RAM 12 GB @ 1600 Ghz kingston RAM  MiscNZXT HUE, disk read/write, 2x 21 inch 1920x1080 monitors   

Try HWMonitor, but first make sure the fans are spinning (like @Gamessys said) and the pump is making noise.

Edited by ShadowTechXTS

✨PC Specs✨

AMD Ryzen 7 3800X | MSI MPG B550 Gaming Plus | 16GB Team T-Force 3400MHz | Zotac GTX 1080 AMP EXTREME

BeQuiet Dark Rock Pro 4 Samsung 850 EVO 250GB | NZXT 750W | Phanteks Eclipse P400A

Extras: ASUS Zephyrus G14 (2021) | OnePlus 7 Pro | Fully restored Robosapien V2, Omnibot 2000, Omnibot 5402

4 minutes ago, JewishBacon said:

I recently installed this neat hardware monitoring software called CAM (https://camwebapp.com/).

Yesterday I was converting some video files from one format to another, when I noticed that my 4770k takes about 2 mins to go from idle at 32-33c to 90-94c under 100% load. I'm using an H100i with some arctic silver. I even tried reapplying it and it still gets SO HOT. I know its the proper amount of thermal paste, and I know my pump is working (corsair LINK says its running at ~2300 rpm). Any ideas?

Try Intel Power Gadget to monitor temps. The 4770K and 4670K had problems over heating with some of them, so they replaced them with the 4790K and 4690K.

Just now, ShadowTechXTS said:

Try HWMonitor, but first make sure the fans are spinning (like @Gamessys said) an the pump is making noise.

the fans are definitely spinning. I guess ill pull up the BIOS to look at fan profiles now.  Also, HW monitor agrees with CAM

1 minute ago, JewishBacon said:

the fans are definitely spinning. I guess ill pull up the BIOS to look at fan profiles now.  Also, HW monitor agrees with CAM

If the fans are spinning and you know you installed the water block correctly with an adequate amount of thermal paste then I would check to make sure the radiator is free of dust buildup.

Either the software isnt good at monitoring temperature or you mounted it wrong. When I mounted on a 3570k there was a specific way you had to do it. There is a notch that lifts the cooler up when installed wrong

9 minutes ago, JewishBacon said:

Remount the cooler and make sure the pump is at absolute full speed.

✨PC Specs✨

AMD Ryzen 7 3800X | MSI MPG B550 Gaming Plus | 16GB Team T-Force 3400MHz | Zotac GTX 1080 AMP EXTREME

BeQuiet Dark Rock Pro 4 Samsung 850 EVO 250GB | NZXT 750W | Phanteks Eclipse P400A

Extras: ASUS Zephyrus G14 (2021) | OnePlus 7 Pro | Fully restored Robosapien V2, Omnibot 2000, Omnibot 5402

Have you tried actually touching the top of the pump to feel if there is vibration coming from it so you know it's actually working?

Current Network Layout:

Current Build Log/PC:

Prior Build Log/PC:

20 minutes ago, JewishBacon said:

and I know my pump is working (corsair LINK says its running at ~2300 rpm). Any ideas?

What are the CPU (motherboard), core, and water temperatures reported by Corsair Link?

3 minutes ago, ShadowTechXTS said:

Remount the cooler and make sure the pump is at absolute full speed.

Already tried that. good call.

6 minutes ago, LabRat said:

hook the pump to a fan header instead of the cpu header.

I'll give this a shot. dont know what it will do exactly though...

1 minute ago, Lurick said:

Have you tried actually touching the top of the pump to feel if there is vibration coming from it so you know it's actually working?

Touched it, can confirm its  vibrating. 

8 minutes ago, JewishBacon said:

Touched it, can confirm its  vibrating. 

( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)

Spoiler

I had to...

✨PC Specs✨

2 hours ago, ShadowTechXTS said:

( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)

Hide contents

I had to...

;) huehuehuehue....

2 hours ago, LabRat said:

makes the pump spin at a constant rate.

i dont think this pump goes to a cpu or fan header. it connects to a USB header inside the case and sata power. then the 2 radiator fans get plugged into the pump itself. I have my fans on intake. should they be set to exhaust?

Just now, JewishBacon said:

i dont think this pump goes to a cpu or fan header. it connects to a USB header inside the case and sata power. then the 2 radiator fans get plugged into the pump itself. I have my fans on intake. should they be set to exhaust?

I DID move the rad fans off the h100i controller and back onto the cpu 1/2 fan headers and it looks like when I run prime95 I hold steady at around 82 now. better than 94 i guess.,... 

drag air from inside the case to outside through the rad.

where is the rad located?

55 minutes ago, LabRat said:

drag air from inside the case to outside through the rad.

where is the rad located?

rad is on the top. I have 2 fans in the front as intake. 1 (much higher CFM) in the back as exhaust, and the 2 on the rad as intake

what voltage/clock speed are you at?  I know your sig says stock but I know how that goes.  Prime 95 running at 82°c isn't too bad

LTT Community Standards                                               Welcome!-A quick guide for new members to LTT

Man's Machine- i7-7700k@5.0GHz / Asus M8H / GTX 1080Ti / 4x4gb Gskill 3000 CL15  / Custom loop / 240gb Intel SSD / 3tb HDD / Corsair RM1000x / Dell S2716DG

The Lady's Rig- G3258@4.4GHz(1.39v) on Hyper 212 / Gigabyte GA-B85M / gtx750 / 8gb PNY xlr8 / 500gb seagate HDD / CS 450M / Asus PB277Q

5 minutes ago, 0ld_Chicken said:

what voltage/clock speed are you at?  I know your sig says stock but I know how that goes.  Prime 95 running at 82°c isn't too bad

all stock on everything CPU. 

good spot for the rad. you should be pulling air from inside out the top of the case. you should change your name to wrong way corrigan.

7 minutes ago, LabRat said:

you should change your name to wrong way corrigan.

wat