Community streaming/hosting all under one roof?

snoopunit

Not sure if this is the correct section for this kind of discussion, so please relocate appropriately if i'm in the wrong place. I'm having this idea for creating a community where people watching streamers can join in on the action and don't have to sit around watching as much. Basically I would be playing/streaming games private server hosting is available legally, and I would host and stream myself. Now I'm here to ask a few questions about the logistics of such an idea. I have never streamed before, and I'm wondering where I can find in-depth guides for begginners for functions like screen sharing and such. I'm most likely be streaming from a laptop with built-in webcam, but playing on my main desktop rig. I also have a dedicated computer for hosting purposes, but I've never hosted more than one server at a single time. Also, I believe bandwidth will become an issue if this takes off as lots of people would be wanting to play. What kind of specs should I be trying to replicate for my streaming and hosting PCs? 

Please let me know if/not you think this is a good idea and please tell me if there's anything i'm overlooking. All input is much appreciated.

all i know about this idea is that you will need a fast internet connection and a really good cpu. i would suggest something like a used xeon with a ton of cores.

Just now, Alexzz_ said:

all i know about this idea is that you will need a fast internet connection and a really good cpu. i would suggest something like a used xeon with a ton of cores.

you're talking about for the hosting application? would a single high-core cpu be better than multiple standard cpus? the specs for my hosting pc right now, is a quad core i5 with 8gb of ram. This has been fine for most applications, but i've only been playing with a handful of friends. obviously I would upgrade to something more suitable if the following gets big enough.

Just now, snoopunit said:

you're talking about for the hosting application? would a single high-core cpu be better than multiple standard cpus? the specs for my hosting pc right now, is a quad core i5 with 8gb of ram. This has been fine for most applications, but i've only been playing with a handful of friends. obviously I would upgrade to something more suitable if the following gets big enough.

yes, however of course it depends on how intensive the application is. most gaming servers have multiple 18 core cpu's and also a lot of ram (forgot to mention that last time)

Depends on games, but I would get another PC dedicated for encoding stream. That way your main PC can just host games. Both will need your internet to be fast. 10m upload is bare minimum.

^^^^ That's my post ^^^^
<-- This is me --- That's your scrollbar -->
vvvv Who's there? vvvv