help choosing new PCI wifi card!

kofman13

Hey all,

My pre-built gaming rig is awesome, but the makers really skimped out on the network card and put in some really crappy Wifi N/bluetooth pcie card. I have had really annoying lag in games on my windows 10 gaming rig, but my older windows 7 laptop on the same home network with a built in Intel N radio has no problems, and cpu and GPU-wise, my gaming rig is a beast, so im guessing its my crappy wifi N pci card. So I am going to pick up a new AC card tomorrow just to see if it fixes the issue since i should probably use an AC adapter with my new AC router.
A few people on this forum recommended the TP-Link T6E: https://www.amazon.com/TP-LINK-Archer-T6E-Wireless-Low-profile/dp/B016K0896K/

But another one in the same class (AC1300) is catching my eye: https://www.amazon.com/ASUS-Wi-Fi-Express-Adapter-PCE-AC56/dp/B00JNA337K/
Kind of interested in the Asus because it looks awesome but also has the ability to mount the antennas via a screw on cable that lets me put the antennas on top of my desk away from the computer, which seems like an awesome idea in terms of dealing with interference. And also i hear it has better drivers for windows 10 BUT it is $20+ more than the TP Link.

Also, since my laptop with Intel wifi drivers works so well should i just try to get an Intel pcie card for my desktop as well? like this one http://www.microcenter.com/product/451556/AC_7260_Dual_Band_Wireless_Bluetooth_40_Adapter 

Any advice?

Each of these lines of cards have a step up model with 3 antennas. would that be even better for me? (i dont need AC1900 speed that comes with the 3 antenna variants of both of these)

CPU: Intel 5820K OC 4GHZ | RAM: 16GB Corsair | GPU: ASUS STRIX 1070 8GB OC | Samsung EVO 980 500GB

2 minutes ago, kofman13 said:

Hey all,

My pre-built gaming rig is awesome, but the makers really skimped out on the network card and put in some really crappy Wifi N/bluetooth pcie card. I have had really annoying lag in games on my windows 10 gaming rig, but my older windows 7 laptop on the same home network with a built in Intel N radio has no problems, and cpu and GPU-wise, my gaming rig is a beast, so im guessing its my crappy wifi N pci card. So I am going to pick up a new AC card tomorrow just to see if it fixes the issue since i should probably use an AC adapter with my new AC router.
A few people on this forum recommended the TP-Link T6E: https://www.amazon.com/TP-LINK-Archer-T6E-Wireless-Low-profile/dp/B016K0896K/

But another one in the same class (AC1300) is catching my eye: https://www.amazon.com/ASUS-Wi-Fi-Express-Adapter-PCE-AC56/dp/B00JNA337K/
Kind of interested in the Asus because it looks awesome but also has the ability to mount the antennas via a screw on cable that lets me put the antennas on top of my desk away from the computer, which seems like an awesome idea in terms of dealing with interference. And also i hear it has better drivers for windows 10 BUT it is $20+ more than the TP Link.

Also, since my laptop with Intel wifi drivers works so well should i just try to get an Intel pcie card for my desktop as well? like this one http://www.microcenter.com/product/451556/AC_7260_Dual_Band_Wireless_Bluetooth_40_Adapter 

Any advice?

Each of these lines of cards have a step up model with 3 antennas. would that be even better for me? (i dont need AC1900 speed that comes with the 3 antenna variants of both of these)

This one: 

http://pcpartpicker.com/product/tTdqqs/gigabyte-wireless-network-card-gcwb867di

If it's still manufactured I thought the ASUS PCE-N15 was great. Two antennas, 300mbps max. Not sure about ping/latency which is more important than bandwidth for your circumstance but I liked it. Really if you NEED low latency/ping you cannot beat a solid Ethernet cable. WiFi would be somewhere around 10-40ms pings or higher while solid Ethernet cable would be < or = to 1ms to/from the router.

Can you not use a cable?

It will save you a bit of money and it will give you better performance

14 minutes ago, Grx said:

Can you not use a cable?

It will save you a bit of money and it will give you better performance

the modem and coax cable is in the room next to my room, in my fathers office. so the only way to use wires would be to run it along wall molding all the way around a short hallway to my room would be a real hassle. or drill a hole through the wall to connect ethernet between our rooms

CPU: Intel 5820K OC 4GHZ | RAM: 16GB Corsair | GPU: ASUS STRIX 1070 8GB OC | Samsung EVO 980 500GB

Just now, kofman13 said:

the modem and coax cable is in the room next to my room, in my fathers office. so the only way to use wires would be to run it along wall molding all the way around a short hallway to my room would be a real hassle. or drill a hole through the wall to connect ethernet between our rooms

You could just use a powerline.

22 minutes ago, Windows7ge said:

If it's still manufactured I thought the ASUS PCE-N15 was great. Two antennas, 300mbps max. Not sure about ping/latency which is more important than bandwidth for your circumstance but I liked it. Really if you NEED low latency/ping you cannot beat a solid Ethernet cable. WiFi would be somewhere around 10-40ms pings or higher while solid Ethernet cable would be < or = to 1ms to/from the router.

not practical unfortunately because modem/router/coax cable is in a different room id have to router miles of ethernet or drill walls. i dont think powerline system will be good either because we live in a 1960s apartment building with different rooms of apartment split up on different circuits

1 minute ago, Starelementpoke said:

You could just use a powerline.

I will try it but it might suck since we live in a 1960s apartment building with old wiring and different rooms of apartment split up on different circuits.  i could always pick up a cheap starter kit and return if it sucks in my building

Just now, kofman13 said:

not practical unfortunately because modem/router/coax cable is in a different room id have to router miles of ethernet or drill walls. i dont think powerline system will be good either because we live in a 1960s apartment building with different rooms of apartment split up on different circuits

Feel free to ignore my comment from above then.

Just now, kofman13 said:

I will try it but it might suck since we live in a 1960s apartment building with old wiring and different rooms of apartment split up on different circuits.  i could always pick up a cheap starter kit and return if it sucks in my building

That works. I still recommend the Gigabyte GC: http://pcpartpicker.com/product/tTdqqs/gigabyte-wireless-network-card-gcwb867di 

3 minutes ago, kofman13 said:

If low latency is important you're pretty screwed. You should be able to game OK on a decent quality WiFi NIC but from time to time you may experience lag. Cannot be helped.

so guys i got the Asus PCE-AC56 and its super AWESOME!! thanks for yall help