Custom Painting Graphics Card Questions

Hello LTT Forums I have a question. Me and an a friend are looking to custom paint a asus strix 1080 white. We are wondering if we are going to need to take off the heat sink to paint it. What recommendations do you guys have for paints. We are new to the scene of painting PC parts. We are attempting to paint the top outer layer but omitting fans due to the fact they than become unbalanced and cause overheating problems. We were thinking of using plasti-dip so if we make a mistake we can peel it off. Also wondering if anyone has a video of them doing what we are attempting. We are considering buying a custom backplate from V1TECH. Both me and my friend want to hear your guys opinions on this topic. Thank You!

Disassembling a GPU is pretty easy, there is no real reason to avoid doing that if you're going to paint it. Taping everything off in order to paint the heatsink exterior is going to be a pain in the ass, and even then there is no guarantee you tape everything off properly. Not to mention if you're using plastidip, that painting things that don't need to be painted can be a issue in its own. Disassemble the thing as far as you can (a lot of heatsinks and fans can be separated from the outer shroud itself)

And yes, plastidip is almost certainly the material to use for this mod.

I'm not sure about custom backplates, but if you want one then go for it.

Well that guide is a little non-specific, but here is a quick rundown of things to keep in mind when using plastidip on a GPU.

#1. Plastidip is NOT paint. they are completely different. Plastidip is the smart and easy way to paint computer components. You don't need to sand, you don't need to prime, you don't need to do any of that tedious prep work. the ONLY prep work for Plastidip is to ensure you have a clean surface. Also make sure its not even a little bit wet or damp. From there its just spray and pray. Put on several layers for even colour. Also, the more layers you have, the easier it will be to peel off later if you change your mind.

#2. When you disassemble your GPU, make sure you don't yank on that fan connector or LED connector. The wire is usually pretty short, so be delicate when removing the heatsink from the PCB

#3. Your GPU can typically be disassembled as far as you want it do. Take as many screws out as you need to, just remember where they all go so you can put it back together again. Set them aside in a bowl or magnetic parts tray or something so you don't lose them. Try to keep certain crew types and sizes separate when you do this so reassembly is easier and less confusing. If you a masterful tinkerer then maybe you won't need to worry about that. Don't be too paranoid about taking out the wrong screws. Some can be bigger headaches than others to put back in, but any screw that comes out can always go back in so long as you remember where it goes.

#4. Strip your GPU down to just the parts you want to spray (if possible). If you need to use any tape for any reason, make sure you remove the tape on the final layer when the plastidip is still wet. Once it dries that tape can tend to want to pull all the plastidip up rather than tearing cleanly away like normal paint. Idea'ly you shouldn't need to use tape though.

#5. When that is all said and done, reassemble your GPU and make sure you reconnect the fan and LED connections. Also make sure all the thermal pads are in place, and that the thermal paste is replaced (new thermal paste may not be necessary, but certainly a good idea)

#6. This is the most important step. Once you're all done your mod, call all your friends over for a LAN party and show off the boss new setup you have =)

Thank you! This useful information helped out alot. i'll be sure to post my custom build when its done and keep you posted if i have any further questions. 

2 hours ago, Logan Chinni said:

-SNIP-

As mentioned by others you best option is to take off the shroud for painting. If you interested I have a guide on that here under GPU Painting: 

-Moved to Modding Section-