Thermal compound

Tomorrow I will build my friend a pc. He will have an Pentium G3258 with stock cooler. If I will remove the stock thermal compound and replace it with my MX-4, will it run cooler. Also what overclocks and volts you achieved with Pentium G3258 on stock cooler?

1 minute ago, smolkomartin1 said:

Tomorrow I will build my friend a pc. He will have an Pentium G3258 with stock cooler. If I will remove the stock thermal compound and replace it with my MX-4, will it run cooler. Also what overclocks and volts you achieved with Pentium G3258 on stock cooler?

A degree or two, most likely. The cooler box isn't good, even if you have better paste to couple it with.

Want to help researchers improve the lives on millions of people with just your computer? Then join World Community Grid distributed computing, and start helping the world to solve it's most difficult problems!

1 minute ago, smolkomartin1 said:

the past will make barely any difference if none and on stock im guessing you can go an extra 500mhz but not more otherwise its to hot. I managed an extra 1ghz on my i3 with a stock but it was at 90º load

Elemental 

Spoiler

Intel i5 6500 @3.8ghz - 8GB HyperX - 600w Apex PSU - GTX 1060 G1 GIGABYTE 6GB - s340 Black - 240gb Toshiba Q300 - Cooler master TX3i - MSI z170-A PRO.

Old Build (sold for 290€)

Spoiler

Intel i3 540 @ 3.9ghz (On stock cooler, Hits 80c max) - 8gb ram - 500w power supply - P7H55-M LE  120gb SSD - Talius Drakko case

Project Frug 50$ Water loop

Laptops

Spoiler

13" Macbook Air - Alienware m14x r2 -  2009 15" Macbook Pro (I was give all of these and would never buy them myself)

It'll probably run slightly cooler, but not by much. I've heard of people (on forums and such) hitting 4.4 GHz on the stock cooler. But silicon lottery, so...

MX-4 is great :)

NEW PC build: Blank Heaven   minimalist white and black PC     Old S340 build log "White Heaven"        The "LIGHTCANON" flashlight build log        Project AntiRoll (prototype)        Custom speaker project

Spoiler

Ryzen 3950X | AMD Vega Frontier Edition | ASUS X570 Pro WS | Corsair Vengeance LPX 64GB | NZXT H500 | Seasonic Prime Fanless TX-700 | Custom loop | Coolermaster SK630 White | Logitech MX Master 2S | Samsung 980 Pro 1TB + 970 Pro 512GB | Samsung 58" 4k TV | Scarlett 2i4 | 2x AT2020

Thermal paste makes a big difference on stock coolers only time it becomes 1-2c is when you have high end coolers you should notice upwards of 4c depending on ambient. You might be able to squeeze 4.5Ghz if you are lucky with the stock cooler but probably around 4.2Ghz shouldn't be a problem.

Arctic Silver 5 though ;). But it'd be much more helpful to get a better cooler. Stock Intel heatsinks are... subpar, we'll say.

CPU: i7 6700k (4.7 GHz) | GPU: EVGA GTX 1070 FTW (OC) | Motherboard: ASUS Sabertooth Z170 S | Cooling: Corsair H110i GTX | Storage: 250GB Samsung 850 EVO M.2 + 1TB WD Black | RAM: 16GB (2x8) Corsair Vengeance LED (White) 3000MHz | Case: Phanteks Enthoo Evolv ATX | PSU: Corsair RM850i | WiFi Card: TPLink Archer T9E | Case Fans: Noctua iPPC-2000 PWM (3x 120mm in), 2x Noctua NF-A14 PWM 140mm (radiator, painted black), Fractal Venturi HP-14 (1x 140mm out)  | OS: Windows 10 Home 64-bit

Just now, arch_linuxos said:

Arctic Silver 5 though ;). But it'd be much more helpful to get a better cooler. Stock Intel heatsinks are... subpar, we'll say.

AS5 is getting old now and dries up quicker than MX4 also slightly warmer 

Just now, LeapFrogMasterRace said:

AS5 is getting old now and dries up quicker than MX4 also slightly warmer 

I've heard MX4 is warmer though :).

CPU: i7 6700k (4.7 GHz) | GPU: EVGA GTX 1070 FTW (OC) | Motherboard: ASUS Sabertooth Z170 S | Cooling: Corsair H110i GTX | Storage: 250GB Samsung 850 EVO M.2 + 1TB WD Black | RAM: 16GB (2x8) Corsair Vengeance LED (White) 3000MHz | Case: Phanteks Enthoo Evolv ATX | PSU: Corsair RM850i | WiFi Card: TPLink Archer T9E | Case Fans: Noctua iPPC-2000 PWM (3x 120mm in), 2x Noctua NF-A14 PWM 140mm (radiator, painted black), Fractal Venturi HP-14 (1x 140mm out)  | OS: Windows 10 Home 64-bit

The stock cooler works fine for a nice overclock on the G3258. You'll probably be able to hit 4.0-4.2GHz with it unless you just completely lose the silicon lottery. It will be loud as it ramps up, though. I've got a stock cooler on a G3258 at 4.2GHz right now. Like I said, loud, but it does the job. I'll be switching back to my cheap Zalman soon, though, to bring the temps and volume back down. The hell if I can remember the voltage right now, but I want to say 1.26.

I can hit 4.4GHz at 1.36v with a Cryorig H7 on my G3258. 4.5 is not stable, even at 1.4v.

I enjoy buying junk and sinking more money than it's worth into it to make it less junk.

There would be very little difference if any.

People have gotten up to 4.6ghz if not more with the stock cooler.

If you ever need help with a build, read the following before posting: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/3061-build-plan-thread-recommendations-please-read-before-posting/
Also, make sure to quote a post or tag a member when replying or else they won't get a notification that you replied to them.