PC Random Crash/Freeze When Playing CSGO?

Go to solution Solved by Nord,

Well if literaly everything else but CS:GO seems to work, the downclocking did not show effect and we ruled out a thermal issue... all thats left is a software problem.

Which could originate from basicaly everything.

You could try to fiddle with the Nvidia control panel settings a bit for CS:GO and see if that makes a difference.

If not, all thats left would be a re-install of windows and while you are at it, might aswell go back to win 7 or 8.1, as both will generaly give you less issues than win10. And less spying. and less end-user testing... hell even the win10 update notifications are gone now.

Hi guys!

Recently when im playing CSGO more than 1 hour or so, my computer start to freeze randomly sometimes Red Screen, White Screen, or sometime Yellow-whiteish Screen,

the only way to fix it to hard restart my computer, and my computer cannot do anything in this State. The Problem started about 2 weeks ago.

I'm Using :

i5 3570K (w/ CM Hyper 212 Evo)

Gigabyte ZA77X D3H

Zotac GTX 660TI

Corsair Vengeance 8GB (2 x 4GB)

Samsung 850 Evon 250GB

Hitachi 1TB Drive 7200RPM

Corsair CXM 750W

Windows 10 Pro 64bit.

At first i thought that my OC is untable (but it not most likely cause i almost running this OC more than 3 Years and got zero problems, I only OC my i5 to 4.0GHZ w/ stock voltages,

and only set the power limit on my GPU to Max) and again, for almost 4 years im not geeting any problem with this config.

The Temps was also fine, The CPU never reaching 75C on even Prime95 Stress Test, anymy GPU never reach beyond 85C (Note here im living in Indonesia, and the ambient hover around the

low 30 Celcius)

But The funny thing is every game exept CSGO, didn't , make the PC crashing like : GTA V, Dota 2, Far Cry, Rocket League, ETC. Not even crashing the pc if playing even for 6 Hours Straight. :/ 

- Tried to validate game from Steam, No use

- Reinstalling CSGO, Nothing work

- Updating / Reverting Nvidia Driver seems not working also, and Currently Using Game Ready 368.81 :D 

- Tried to set everything to normal speed, but the random crashing still occur.

- Tried to replug all the cable (PSU,sata,etc) still happens.

- Tried To Searching Online, about this problem but nothing seems to work.

So yeah, I'm confused w/ this Problems, any of you guys ever had this kind off problems? ;)

I'm Starting to Thing That my GTX 660TI is aging cause it almost 4years (on this years August), but in other games still runs fine...

so maybe it's not most likely also...  :/ 

Anyway any help will be Very Grateful! 

Thanks Before. ;) 

Life Is About What We Are, Not We Were..

Reinstall 

Ryzen 5 3600 stock | 2x16GB C13 3200MHz (AFR) | GTX 760 (Sold the VII)| ASUS Prime X570-P | 6TB WD Gold (128MB Cache, 2017)

Samsung 850 EVO 240 GB 

138 is a good number.

3 minutes ago, themctipers said:

Reinstall 

Thanks for Your Quick Reply! 

I already tried to reinstalled it but The problem still occur.. so yeah...

Just now, Crusader325 said:

Thanks for Your Quick Reply! 

I already tried to reinstalled it but The problem still occur.. so yeah...

That used to happen to me also. 

:P i resolved my problem my reinstalling windows...

Ryzen 5 3600 stock | 2x16GB C13 3200MHz (AFR) | GTX 760 (Sold the VII)| ASUS Prime X570-P | 6TB WD Gold (128MB Cache, 2017)

Samsung 850 EVO 240 GB 

138 is a good number.

1 minute ago, themctipers said:

That used to happen to me also. 

:P i resolved my problem my reinstalling windows...

Whoa, i thought before you refer to reinstalling the csgo. :P 

You also had this same problem also? 

Hmm, i see reinstalling the windows, maybe i gonna try that for the last resort ! (cause it really unconvenient or it is just me? :D) hahaha.. :D 

1 minute ago, Jstone said:

does this happen in any other games?

It Seems Not, Playing other game even on longer period for say like 4 or more, this problem never occur to my PC.

Just now, Crusader325 said:

Hmm, i see reinstalling the windows, maybe i gonna try that for the last resort ! (cause it really unconvenient or it is just me? :D) hahaha.. :D 

It Seems Not, Playing other game even on longer period for say like 4 or more, this problem never occur to my PC.

Yeah..  I had the exact same thing as you. 

Samsung 850 EVO 240 GB 

138 is a good number.

5 minutes ago, Crusader325 said:

reinstall windows 10

have fun

doublepost, see below

@Nord or quote me if you want me to reply back. I don't necessarily check back or subscribe to every topic.

Amdahls law > multicore CPU.

Validate CS:GO installation via steam.

Use DDU to get rid of all GPU drivers and re-install the driver clean, just consult google to which is considered the "best driver version" for CS.

If both does not help and assuming you are playing CS:GO like everybody, w/o VSync and settings that give you max FPS and adding that your system freezes with odd colours, I'd guess your VRam is overheating.

4 Years is old for a GPU, if it does have thermal pads for the VRAM check if they are still seated properly and it could not hurt to re-place the thermal paste while you are at it.

Or if you dont want to unscrew your GPU, you could just open your PC-case, take a normal room-fan and make it blow on your GPU, if the problem is fixed, its GPU overheating.

Especially with 30°C ambient thats not very unlikely to happen on old-ish hardware.

To why its only happening in CS:GO ->

If you compare CS to the other games you play, assuming you do play with mentioned settings, you easily get 3x the amount of FPS. And that specific workload may cause the ovearheat, even when the card fairs ok in other games.

Additonal edit:

I just saw you are using a Zotac 660 Ti, I owned that card myself and I actually had to downclock mine for almost all games that would max out the GPU, else the driver would crash. Since I got it as an free RMA upgrade from a 570 I never did bother to complain to the store I got it from about it, as it was still a considerable upgrade even when downclocked a bit.

Also I had to re-apply thermal paste after not even 2 years on mine, because it was almost reaching 90°C. Also the fan would scratch on the metal plate sometimes... so out of my experiance, the particular card in itself is crap. Which even more makes me think its the VRam overheating problem.

@Nord or quote me if you want me to reply back. I don't necessarily check back or subscribe to every topic.

22 hours ago, Nord said:

Validate CS:GO installation via steam.

Use DDU to get rid of all GPU drivers and re-install the driver clean, just consult google to which is considered the "best driver version" for CS.

If both does not help and assuming you are playing CS:GO like everybody, w/o VSync and settings that give you max FPS and adding that your system freezes with odd colours, I'd guess your VRam is overheating.

4 Years is old for a GPU, if it does have thermal pads for the VRAM check if they are still seated properly and it could not hurt to re-place the thermal paste while you are at it.

Or if you dont want to unscrew your GPU, you could just open your PC-case, take a normal room-fan and make it blow on your GPU, if the problem is fixed, its GPU overheating.

Especially with 30°C ambient thats not very unlikely to happen on old-ish hardware.

To why its only happening in CS:GO ->

If you compare CS to the other games you play, assuming you do play with mentioned settings, you easily get 3x the amount of FPS. And that specific workload may cause the ovearheat, even when the card fairs ok in other games.

Additonal edit:

I just saw you are using a Zotac 660 Ti, I owned that card myself and I actually had to downclock mine for almost all games that would max out the GPU, else the driver would crash. Since I got it as an free RMA upgrade from a 570 I never did bother to complain to the store I got it from about it, as it was still a considerable upgrade even when downclocked a bit.

Also I had to re-apply thermal paste after not even 2 years on mine, because it was almost reaching 90°C. Also the fan would scratch on the metal plate sometimes... so out of my experiance, the particular card in itself is crap. Which even more makes me think its the VRam overheating problem.

Thanks for your detailed reply!

hmm, nvidia kepler didnt had temp sensor in the vram. so its maybe could be the reason..

but for the thermal paste, every year when i cleaning out dust from my case, i always changing the thermal paste both on

the cpu and gpu, and for the thermal pads on top of the vram last January (recent pc cleaning) the thermal paste is still intact.

It could probably the vram overheating, but still we still cant confirm it, cause well kepler doesnt had temp sensor on the vram.

Maybe im gonna try to downclock it a bit, for reference how many mhz did you underclock the 660ti?

110 Power
-60 Core
-40 Memory

Thats how I had to run mine to make it stable, yours will most likely differ however.

I mean for the hell of it you could just go -100/-100 core/mem and set power to 100%.

In case of CS:GO thats probably 10FPS you will miss, so nothing you realise really.. and it should also be sufficient enough to rule out any overheating / age caused problems.

Basically it is equally likely that its the workload as the, possible, heat/age issue. So you check both either way.

Heyy..

Sorry for the late reply guys

anyway, i tried to clean out the dust and change the thermal paste on my gpu, the temps were decreasing quite a bit , now its never reach the 80 C.

But for the random crass still occur even i already tried to downclock the card to -50/-50 on the core and the memory, but it still happening :/

I'm started to doubt its not about the VRAM overheating issue, cause in any lighter games like : Dota 2, Command & Conquer, Simcity (2013), Starcraft 2

the random crashes never happened.

So maybe it is really the Windows 10 Fault....? :/ 

Anyway, Thanks Before... ;) 

Well if literaly everything else but CS:GO seems to work, the downclocking did not show effect and we ruled out a thermal issue... all thats left is a software problem.

Which could originate from basicaly everything.

You could try to fiddle with the Nvidia control panel settings a bit for CS:GO and see if that makes a difference.

If not, all thats left would be a re-install of windows and while you are at it, might aswell go back to win 7 or 8.1, as both will generaly give you less issues than win10. And less spying. and less end-user testing... hell even the win10 update notifications are gone now.

Yeah maybe if i got the time i will just tried to Re-installed the windows cause for some reason the revert file to my windows 7 seems missing ...

Thanks for your help Nord ! really appreciate it.

• 3 weeks later...

I am also facing this same exact issue. CS GO was working perfectly fine on my high end laptop but since last week, it has been randomly freezing most of the time during server search causing me to reboot my laptop manually using power button. I have intel core i7 with Nvidia 920M (driver updated) and windows 10 anniversary update installed. I have also validated game cache.