Disabling Cortana After Windows 10 Anniversary Update August 2016

Read this thread if you believe that the NSA is listening to you via Cortana.

It is astonishingly easy to disable Cortana (well, not even close to as easy as it should be, Microsoft needs to get it together)

Before you read this thread you should know that we will be changing the Windows registry which can lead to some irreversible problems if you are careless, that said, these are very straight forward instructions, anyone can do it!

Step #1:

-Go to the settings for Cortana and disable everything that has to do with Cortana. This step is not necessary but if you believe in being extra careful, do this.

Step #2:

-Enter the windows registry editor by holding down the start menu key and pressing 'r', and then type in 'regedit', press enter and when a dialog box appears, press 'yes'

-In the registry, navigate to Computer\HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Policies\Microsoft\

-Now that you are at the 'Microsoft' folder, right click the 'Windows' folder and select New>Key, name this key 'Windows Search'

-All you have to do now is right click the 'Windows Search' folder and select New>DWORD (32-bit) Value and, name it 'AllowCortana', now double click it and make sure the value is set to 0, and it's a hexadecimal (not sure if it has to be)

Step #3:

-Finally you are ready to get rid of Cortana, all you need to do is a restart and you will now be back to the good old "Search Windows" bar

*It is important noting that if you want to get Cortana back in the future, it is as easy as navigating back to the 'AllowCortana' file, double clicking it, setting the value to 1. If that fails, just delete it.

Microsoft, there is a huge number of people who hate Cortana, just make it easier to disable!

I don't check back in here regularly, but when I do I would be happy to answer any questions!

@PhotonicThat is another option I suppose, however it is a download, and is probably fine but for security freaks who don't want to download things and want to do it on their own, this is an alternative option.

16 minutes ago, Conflix said:

@PhotonicThat is another option I suppose, however it is a download, and is probably fine but for security freaks who don't want to download things and want to do it on their own, this is an alternative option.

Linux. 

Ryzen 5 3600 stock | 2x16GB C13 3200MHz (AFR) | GTX 760 (Sold the VII)| ASUS Prime X570-P | 6TB WD Gold (128MB Cache, 2017)

Samsung 850 EVO 240 GB 

138 is a good number.

Just now, themctipers said:

Linux. 

I have a very strong urge to mark that as solved. But I wont.

Just now, Conflix said:

I have a very strong urge to mark that as solved. But I wont.

Do it :3 

Ryzen 5 3600 stock | 2x16GB C13 3200MHz (AFR) | GTX 760 (Sold the VII)| ASUS Prime X570-P | 6TB WD Gold (128MB Cache, 2017)

Samsung 850 EVO 240 GB 

138 is a good number.

1 minute ago, wcreek said:

Eh MS hasn't forced 1607/Redwood 1 on this laptop yet and I'm not going to force it either.

Well, make sure you have plenty of battery, it is a long update. Also, you have to reconfigure quite a few things once its done, I had to redo my shortcuts and fix my resolution.

Just now, Conflix said:

Well, make sure you have plenty of battery, it is a long update. Also, you have to reconfigure quite a few things once its done, I had to redo my shortcuts and fix my resolution.

Eh like I said not worried about it until it figures out that it has an update available.

Just now, Wedsea040 said:

What does that mean?

1607 is the Version

Redwood 1 is one of the names for the anniversary update.

a Moo Floof connoisseur and curator.

:x@handymanshandle x @pinksnowbirdie || Jake x Brendan :x
Youtube Audio Normalization

1 minute ago, Wedsea040 said:

What does that mean?

That's just the version of Windows, the brand new one that just came out.

I had it disabled before the update....NOW I CANT ENABLE IT! WTF MS

Laptop: 2019 16" MacBook Pro i7, 512GB, 5300M 4GB, 16GB DDR4 | Phone: iPhone 13 Pro Max 128GB | Wearables: Apple Watch SE | Car: 2007 Ford Taurus SE | CPU: R7 5700X | Mobo: ASRock B450M Pro4 | RAM: 32GB 3200 | GPU: ASRock RX 5700 8GB | Case: Apple PowerMac G5 | OS: Win 11 | Storage: 1TB Crucial P3 NVME SSD, 1TB PNY CS900, & 4TB WD Blue HDD | PSU: Be Quiet! Pure Power 11 600W | Display: LG 27GL83A-B 1440p @ 144Hz, Dell S2719DGF 1440p @144Hz | Cooling: Wraith Prism | Keyboard: G610 Orion Cherry MX Brown | Mouse: G305 | Audio: Audio Technica ATH-M50X & Blue Snowball | Server: 2018 Core i3 Mac mini, 128GB SSD, Intel UHD 630, 16GB DDR4 | Storage: OWC Mercury Elite Pro Quad (6TB WD Blue HDD, 12TB Seagate Barracuda, 1TB Crucial SSD, 2TB Seagate Barracuda HDD)

6 hours ago, DrMacintosh said:

I had it disabled before the update....NOW I CANT ENABLE IT! WTF MS

That's odd, the update should have re enabled it, it re enabled Cortana for me which is why I posted this thread.

One thing you could try is to follow the steps and instead of setting AllowCortana to 0, try setting it to 1.