Windows 7 deauthorization

Go to solution Solved by Matsy,

Open command prompt as admin and type

slmgr.vbs -upk

That will invalidate the win 7 license on that machine, so you can put it on another (assuming its not an OEM license key)

Ok I am upgrading my cpu and motherboard from amd to intel(Xeon E3-1230V3 and Asus z87-A). I know this will require a new authorization for my windows 7 key. I want to deauthorize windows 7 for my current computer, so I can have more installs with my license key, for the future. I am not going to use windows 7 now since I am upgrading to a SSD with windows 8.1. Just incase I do other builds it would be nice to not run into validation problems. 

I did a bit of research but I haven't found a lot of answers that confirm each other. I am hoping to not have to call microsoft. Anyone know how to do this?

Each key gets one computer. You can't spread it over multiple computers, unless it's an enterprise class version.

"Say it, do it, preach it, shout it, but never, absolutely never, believe your own bullshit"   

Credited with the whole female avatar trend

Your thoughts here http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/67178-your-top-three/

Each key gets one computer. You can't spread it over multiple computers, unless it's an enterprise class version.

I am not so sure about that but I want to basically invalidate my current validated computer so I can install it on another if need be.

slmgr.vbs -upk

That will invalidate the win 7 license on that machine, so you can put it on another (assuming its not an OEM license key)

PC SYSTEM: Fractal Design Arc Midi R2 / i5 2500k @ 4.2ghz / CM Hyper 212 EVO / Gigabyte 670 OC SLI / MSI P67A-GD53 B3 / Kingston HyperX Blue 8Gb / 

WD 2tb Storage Drive / BenQ GW2750HM - ASUS VE248H - Panasonic TX-P42ST60BCorsair AX750 / Logitech K360 / Razer Naga / Plantronics Gamecom 380 /

Asus Xonar DGX / Samsung 830 256gb / MEDIA eMachine ER1401 running OpenELEC XBMC with Seagate STBV3000200 3TB Hard Drive - Panasonic TX-P42ST60B

slmgr.vbs /upk

That will invalidate the win 7 license on that machine.

This is how you do it? I saw this in another forum but I wanted to be sure it was a valid method. Have you done this personally before?

This is how you do it? I saw this in another forum but I wanted to be sure it was a valid method. Have you done this personally before?

Yes this is how you do it, and yes I have done it before, works just fine.

You will get This copy of Windows is not genuine at the bottom right corner of your desktop and when you restart you will be presented with an option to activate if you wish or leave it alone, so then you can install 8.1 etc over the top of it etc

If its an OEM key (look on the sticker on your case or the window 7 box you have) this won't work however.

PC SYSTEM: Fractal Design Arc Midi R2 / i5 2500k @ 4.2ghz / CM Hyper 212 EVO / Gigabyte 670 OC SLI / MSI P67A-GD53 B3 / Kingston HyperX Blue 8Gb / 

WD 2tb Storage Drive / BenQ GW2750HM - ASUS VE248H - Panasonic TX-P42ST60BCorsair AX750 / Logitech K360 / Razer Naga / Plantronics Gamecom 380 /

Asus Xonar DGX / Samsung 830 256gb / MEDIA eMachine ER1401 running OpenELEC XBMC with Seagate STBV3000200 3TB Hard Drive - Panasonic TX-P42ST60B

slmgr.vbs -upk

I assume OEM license keys require calling support? 

That is frustrating.

† Christian Member †

For my pertinent links to guides, reviews, and anything similar, go here, and look under the spoiler labeled such. A brief history of Unix and it's relation to OS X by Builder.

I assume OEM license keys require calling support? 

That is frustrating.

You can only use a windows 7 OEM key on one machine (locked to the motherboard), you can't change it(well...you can), the most you can do is de-activate it with slmgr.vbs -upk on the machine, then do this on the machine you want it on:

1. Go into regedit

2. navigate too HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Setup\OOBE

3. Double click on MediaBootinstal and change the value data to 0

4. Run a command prompt as admin, and type slmgr -rearm

5. Reboot your computer

6. Run the activation utility and enter the key and it MIGHT accept it.

That doesn't work every time though.

The only other option with OEM keys is to be a "bad boy" and well ermm, yeh....bad :) depends on if you are willing to be alittle naughty or not.

You can only use a windows 7 OEM key on one machine (locked to the motherboard), you can't change it(well...you can), the most you can do is de-activate it with slmgr.vbs -upk on the machine, then do this on the machine you want it on:

1. Go into regedit

2. navigate too HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Setup\OOBE

3. Double click on MediaBootinstal and change the value data to 0

4. Run a command prompt as admin, and type slmgr -rearm

5. Reboot your computer

6. Run the activation utility and enter the key and it MIGHT accept it.

That doesn't work every time though.

It sounds like calling India would be easier in all honesty.

If you have issues with such a joke, know that I only use stereotypical jokes when I feel they are true enough of the time to be valid.

† Christian Member †

For my pertinent links to guides, reviews, and anything similar, go here, and look under the spoiler labeled such. A brief history of Unix and it's relation to OS X by Builder.

If you have issues with such a joke, know that I only use stereotypical jokes when I feel they are true enough of the time to be valid.

Lol, I don't care ;p

And yeh they make you jump through hoops with OEM keys, kinda silly.

They got rid of that with windows 8, I believe though.

Lol, I don't care ;p

And yeh they make you jump through hoops with OEM keys, kinda silly.

They got rid of that with windows 8, I believe though.

Orly? Awesome. Installing it in a VM will be easier then.

† Christian Member †

OK thanks guys I'll mark it as solved, when I do it myself and verify it works for me.

De-authorization is not required. When you install a your Windows on your new system, Windows Activation will automatically deactivate the old computer.

Nothing to worry about. No one had any trouble. Even Microsoft says so:

http://channel9.msdn.com/Shows/The-Defrag-Show/Defrag-Cloning-to-SSD-Extracting-Wifi-PW-UAC-Triggers#time=03m35s

Just commenting to point out the over the phone activation is really painless with no long distance calls to India. It's all automated where all you'd have to do is follow prompts when giving the key for activation. Had to do this before with OEM Windows.

Just commenting to point out the over the phone activation is really painless with no long distance calls to India. It's all automated where all you'd have to do is follow prompts when giving the key for activation. Had to do this before with OEM Windows.

Oh, I know. But sometimes, the voice system fails and can't understand the numbers you are saying. Which causes you to need to be transferred to a person. 

† Christian Member †

Oh, I know. But sometimes, the voice system fails and can't understand the numbers you are saying. Which causes you to need to be transferred to a person.

You can use the numbers keys on your phone :)

You can use the numbers keys on your phone :)

Kevin-Butler-Mind-Blown.gif

Well I feel stupid.

† Christian Member †

The copy I bought a oem one on Ncix has currently 3 working installs. But to get it use a 1use on another call Microsoft worked for me

Aselwyn1

The copy I bought a oem one on Ncix has currently 3 working installs. But to get it use a 1use on another call Microsoft worked for me

You are not suppose to be doing this. As per license agreement, Microsoft can void your license entirely. Making you forced to buy a new Windows, and not have the current one work on even 1 system.

In other words, Microsoft is being cool, but the day the decide to tight things up, you'll be in for a surprise, and an unexpected rush at the retail store to buy 3 licenses of Windows. Not cheap.

You are not suppose to be doing this. As per license agreement, Microsoft can void your license entirely. Making you forced to buy a new Windows, and not have the current one work on even 1 system.

In other words, Microsoft is being cool, but the day the decide to tight things up, you'll be in for a surprise, and an unexpected rush at the retail store to buy 3 licenses of Windows. Not cheap.

This.

To be honest, M$ usually doesn't care unless you are a business. And they don't care how many times you validate the same license key, as long as you have a receipt for every single one.

Product and License keys don't mean anything. You could pirate it for all they care, as long as you have a receipt saying "Hey, I bought a copy of the version of Windows I'm using at some point from a Microsoft validated seller." 

... That's effectively how it works. Contracts and licenses say different, but they don't care as long as you can prove they got paid.

† Christian Member †

Yeeaaa... we are talking about Microsoft, not "M$" Corporation.

Please stay on topic.

Yeeaaa... we are talking about Microsoft, not "M$" Corporation.

Please stay on topic.

They are the same thing. M$ is an abbreviation for Microsoft that is usually used when talking about them being money hungry or something equivalent.

† Christian Member †

They are the same thing. M$ is an abbreviation for Microsoft that is usually used when talking about them being money hungry or something equivalent.

Ok, Moneyliu$.

Be genuine, support the software / music artists you enjoy.