Display randomly goes blank on desktop but not on games?

This is my first ever post on here so be nice :)

In a nutshell my pc has had a chequered life (my very first gaming pc), I had a Crucial m4 SSD that died, then revived itself after a couple of weeks out of nowhere 3 times before I replaced it for a Samsung 850 Evo recently, Case fans dying on my £15 pc case (now have a Corsair 400C, much better) and the most recent being my old GPU (Radeon HD7870) died - random blocks on the screen, booting to windows failed all the time.

Now I have a AMD/XFX RX 480 GPU, and it games in 4k (UHD really) flawlessly, really happy with it. the thing that I cant understand though is on the DESKTOP, sometimes only edge/firefox open, sometimes them with Outlook or Corsair Link, or sometimes NOTHING WHATSOEVER, the screen will just cut out. if I have audio being transmitted, e.g. via Spotify or youtube they still go through fine, but if I turn the tv off/on, still nothing. if I unplug the HDMI cable, nothing. however if I turn the PC off/on again it works fine.

Again I state this NEVER HAPPENS DURING GAMING, which is why I am so confused.

I am wondering if it is the motherboard itself/ due to SSD's & GPU's failing in it (when the SSD died I wasn't kind to it I wont lie) maybe it is starting to show its age, its a ASUS M5A97 PRO with a AMD Phenom II x4 965 3.4GHZ (stock speed), which during gaming holds itself surprisingly well considering the CPU is 7 years old now. But the Reason I think it could be the motherboard is when I went into the desktop Mobo software (AI Suite) and went on BIOS update, the screen went blank at the exact point 2 times in a row when I attempted to go through the various stages of update. 

On this boot I have closed the Mobo software as soon as it loaded on startup, and (touches wooden desk) everything seems ok.

Any help would be useful as this a rather erratic problem, on sunday I had the display on all day and never occurred, where as today it happened twice, and Saturday once, Friday once, Thursday nothing. I am truly at a loss to explain this issue.

what power supply do you have and how old is it?

did you enter the monitors control panel and set it back to factory specs?

its a Corsair HX750i, less than a month old got it the same time as the Samsung SSD and the case, as far as the monitor - tv goes it is on factory specs, only thing I changed on it was turned the brightness down from its factory settings since it was almost blinding me playing star wars battlefront!

on Corsair Link on desktop it averages around 160/170watts, 90% efficiency if that helps at all

tv, different realm for me. do you have it selected to pc or just have the hdmi slot enabled for the the hdmi cable.

did you try a different cable?

or swap the cable around so the ends are swapped for tv and pc?

did you try s different hdmi slot on the card?

does the motherboard have on board graphics? if so, bypass the card and hook to that for testing purposes.