Mixing different RAM types in my home server

Go to solution Solved by SLAYR,
4 minutes ago, Blucyrik said:

In short to possibly clear up confusion, I don't feel like replacing the RAM I currently have in the system. I would prefer to use it rather than replace it to save some money. However, due to my current configuration I can't get all of the RAM at the same timing or clock speed. I need opinions if I should just get a 16GB kit of 1600MHz or continue using the RAM that's already in the system and just add more.

I would just add more ram and then see if that ram would overclock to a higher frequency.

Also ddr3 ecc unbuffered is quite cheap used, if your motherboard has support for it you could save some money then having to buy new ddr3. Just make sure your motherboard supports it and the it is unregistered ddr3 ecc. It will not work with ddr3 non-ecc though.

Hey guys,

I'm in a bit of a problem here, I upgraded my home server build from an i3 6300 w/8GB DDR4 to an X79 board, E5-2670, and 8GB DDR3 RAM. My issue is the DDR3 RAM I'm using is some old parts I found from a system I had years ago. Instead of having 2x4GB sticks like I did with the i3 setup and DDR4, I actually have one 4GB stick of DDR3-1333MHz and two 2GB sticks of DDR3-1333MHz, all running in triple channel according to CPU-Z.

I want to upgrade away from using triple and rather just do quad channel with 4x4GB sticks of DDR3-1600MHz instead of buying slower, more expensive 1333MHz RAM. If I replace all of the RAM in my system, I will have a total of 16GB all running at 1600MHz. However, if I purchase a 4x4GB kit of 1333MHz, I'll have a total of 20GB, since I want all of my RAM to be at the same speed, since I'm primarily using the rig for video rendering/local Minecraft server/file storage.

TL;DR: If I buy higher 1600MHz RAM for my current 1333MHz setup, will I see incompatibility issues or will they all just lower their clock speed to 1333MHz?

Want to build yourself a NAS? Check here!

I dont fully understand your post but if your board supports XMP maybe get 4x4 16gb ram @1600mhz and underclock it other than that I cant really help because I dont understand the problem hope this helps

1 minute ago, lonleh kitty said:

I dont fully understand your post but if your board supports XMP maybe get 4x4 16gb ram @1600mhz and underclock it other than that I cant really help because I dont understand the problem hope this helps

In short to possibly clear up confusion, I don't feel like replacing the RAM I currently have in the system. I would prefer to use it rather than replace it to save some money. However, due to my current configuration I can't get all of the RAM at the same timing or clock speed. I need opinions if I should just get a 16GB kit of 1600MHz or continue using the RAM that's already in the system and just add more.

Want to build yourself a NAS? Check here!

4 minutes ago, Blucyrik said:

I would just add more ram and then see if that ram would overclock to a higher frequency.

Also ddr3 ecc unbuffered is quite cheap used, if your motherboard has support for it you could save some money then having to buy new ddr3. Just make sure your motherboard supports it and the it is unregistered ddr3 ecc. It will not work with ddr3 non-ecc though.

•E5-2670 @2.7GHz • Intel DX79SI • EVGA 970 SSC• GSkill Sniper 8Gb ddr3 • Corsair Spec 02 • Corsair RM750 • HyperX 120Gb SSD • Hitachi 2Tb HDD •