"Static" IP keeps changing.

KieranFretwell

I am hosting a Teamspeak 3 server and a Garry's Mod server from my second computer but even though my IP is apparently set to static it still changes every 24 hours. This is pretty annoying as i need to keep telling my friends the new Teamspeak IP. What are some of the things that i can do to fix this? I will provide some screenshots of my router settings. 

fdfd.png

gfhfghfg.png

Have you set the OS to use the static address?

¸„»°'´¸„»°'´ Vorticalbox `'°«„¸`'°«„¸
`'°«„¸¸„»°'´¸„»°'´`'°«„¸Scientia Potentia est  ¸„»°'´`'°«„¸`'°«„¸¸„»°'´

Change the lease time to zero so it is infinite (or change it to 9 billion or something) . The lease time is the amount of time the server/router/modem will assign you that IP before it changes it.

Edit: Actually, change it to 21 since that is the max, according to your router. That reduces the frequency that it changes but I'd recommend buying a less stupid router.

2 minutes ago, vorticalbox said:

Have you set the OS to use the static address?

Yes,, but i am not an expert at this so i could have made a mistake. 

R8dt9xP.png

Set the static IP through the server, not the router. Chances are, the server is still sending DHCP requests and the lease runs out every 24 hours. 

PS: There's no point in blocking your local IP addresses, we can't do anything with them. Your public IP is one you don't want to show. For you, anything starting with 192.168.1 is safe to show. 

Your default gateway looks wrong. That will be the same IP you enter into your browser to login to your router settings, usually be 192.168.1.1

Community Standards | Fan Control Software

Please make sure to Quote me or @ me to see your reply!

Just because I am a Moderator does not mean I am always right. Please fact check me and verify my answer. 

"Black Out"

Ryzen 9 5900x | Full Custom Water Loop | Asus Crosshair VIII Hero (Wi-Fi) | RTX 3090 Founders | Ballistix 32gb 16-18-18-36 3600mhz 

1tb Samsung 970 Evo | 2x 2tb Crucial MX500 SSD | Fractal Design Meshify S2 | Corsair HX1200 PSU

Dedicated Streaming Rig

Ryzen 7 3700x | Asus B450-F Strix | 16gb Gskill Flare X 3200mhz | Corsair RM550x PSU | Asus Strix GTX1070 | 250gb 860 Evo m.2

Phanteks P300A |  Elgato HD60 Pro | Avermedia Live Gamer Duo | Avermedia 4k GC573 Capture Card

Just now, legacy99 said:

Your default gateway looks wrong. That will be the same IP you enter into your browser to login to your router settings, usually be 192.168.1.1

I use 192.168.1.254 to access my router settings. 

1 minute ago, KieranFretwell said:

Yes,, but i am not an expert at this so i could have made a mistake. 

What IP address are you using for the server? If it's within your DHCP pool's range, it may be forcefully being taken. 

1 minute ago, legacy99 said:

192.169.1.254 is pretty common for a default gateway address. It's typically right at the beginning or right at the end of the address range. 

5 minutes ago, Oshino Shinobu said:

What IP address are you using for the server? If it's within your DHCP pool's range, it may be forcefully being taken. 

It is in the range but i can't choose the IP of the teamspeak server. 

Just now, Oshino Shinobu said:

192.169.1.254 is pretty common for a default gateway address. 

Just now, KieranFretwell said:

I use 192.168.1.254 to access my router settings. 

ive never personally seen that myself. I have always had .1 as my gateway on any router I have ever owned. Even when I do provisions for customers, we use .1 as the default gateway. 

Community Standards | Fan Control Software

Please make sure to Quote me or @ me to see your reply!

Just because I am a Moderator does not mean I am always right. Please fact check me and verify my answer. 

"Black Out"

Ryzen 9 5900x | Full Custom Water Loop | Asus Crosshair VIII Hero (Wi-Fi) | RTX 3090 Founders | Ballistix 32gb 16-18-18-36 3600mhz 

1tb Samsung 970 Evo | 2x 2tb Crucial MX500 SSD | Fractal Design Meshify S2 | Corsair HX1200 PSU

Dedicated Streaming Rig

Ryzen 7 3700x | Asus B450-F Strix | 16gb Gskill Flare X 3200mhz | Corsair RM550x PSU | Asus Strix GTX1070 | 250gb 860 Evo m.2

Phanteks P300A |  Elgato HD60 Pro | Avermedia Live Gamer Duo | Avermedia 4k GC573 Capture Card

1 minute ago, Oshino Shinobu said:

192.169.1.254 is pretty common for a default gateway address. It's typically right at the beginning or right at the end of the address range. 

Could i just change the gateway instead of the IP that my server uses? 

7 minutes ago, byalexandr said:

Change the lease time to zero so it is infinite (or change it to 9 billion or something) . The lease time is the amount of time the server/router/modem will assign you that IP before it changes it.

Edit: Actually, change it to 21 since that is the max, according to your router. That reduces the frequency that it changes but I'd recommend buying a less stupid router.

That is what i was thinking of doing as a temporary solution, but would this disconnect all of my devices from my router? If so i can't do that. I get this message. 

1234.png

Just now, KieranFretwell said:

-snip- It is in the range but i can't choose the IP of the teamspeak server. 

The server should have a 192.168.1.X address for the local network. The Teamspeak address should be your public IP + a port number. 

I would advise editing that IP out of your post as it's probably your public IP. Try a "what's my IP" site to check if it's the same. 

1 minute ago, Oshino Shinobu said:

The server should have a 192.168.1.X address for the local network. The Teamspeak address should be your public IP + a port number. 

I would advise editing that IP out of your post as it's probably your public IP. Try a "what's my IP" site to check if it's the same. 

Thanks, and yes it is the same. 

1 minute ago, KieranFretwell said:

Could i just change the gateway instead of the IP that my server uses? 

The gateway address is the local address of your router. Changing it to something else will cause you to lose connection to the internet. 

From my understanding, your Teamspeak server's IP shouldn't be changing, as it's a public IP. What should be changing is the port association. Unless Teamspeak is hosted in a different way than local hosted servers. I'm unsure on that. 

4 minutes ago, legacy99 said:

ive never personally seen that myself. I have always had .1 as my gateway on any router I have ever owned. Even when I do provisions for customers, we use .1 as the default gateway. 

.1 is what I tend to use myself, but at stock, many routers/gateways come with .254 as standard. I've had quite a couple that I've come across like that, though most of them are business oriented devices. Most consumer routers use .1 from what I've seen. 

15 minutes ago, KieranFretwell said:

It is in the range but i can't choose the IP of the teamspeak server. 

Choose one that is not within the DHCP range. The DHCP uses it's range to hand out IPs to devices that ask for one. You're not asking for one because you want it to be static. Try 192.168.1.50 for example, with your current subnet mask and default gateway settings.

Folding@Home ~75k points per day | My Simple Air-cooled Machine Maintenance Guide | Dutch Talk | Building a Wooden Popsicle Stick House

Main rig: i7-3770 stock - ASUS P8Z77-M - 8GB DDR3 1600MHz - 2x Radeon HD6970 2GB - SilverStone GD05-B - Corsair RM650x

Basically if the IP of the teamspeak server you are handing out to people who connect from outside your home network (assuming it's a home network), that's something your ISP DHCP is doing most likely.

That would mean your public IP keeps changing every 24 hours.

From the pictures you've shown the DHCP lease time of your home network matches the issue but unless you live with your friends it's hard for me to grasp how they could connect to a server with 192.168.X.X address.

So, is the address you give to your friends within 192.168.X.X range?

If not, and if the IP that changes that you give to your friends is a public IP (not within 10.X.X.X or 172.16.X.X-172.32.X.X or 192.168.X.X ranges), I think you might need to get yourself a dynamic dns service so your friends can connect even though your IP changes.

I think there's a rule against advertising so I'll just say there are plenty of those services available and you can probably get one for free for a lightweight service like teamspeak.

I'm pretty sure the issue here is that the IP adress BT is providing you is changing, not the internal IP that the server is on. You normally have to pay for business class internet to get a static public IP. You can use dynamic DNS services that give you a domain name that always updates to your current IP. 

Looking to buy GTX690, other multi-GPU cards, or single-slot graphics cards: 

9 hours ago, KieranFretwell said:

That is what i was thinking of doing as a temporary solution, but would this disconnect all of my devices from my router? If so i can't do that. I get this message. 

1234.png

If those devices are being renewed once a day then this will just keep doing that but every 21 days. So if you haven't disconnected all of your devices each time you set up a new Teamspeak, then changing it to 21 days will not affect it any differently.

11 hours ago, brwainer said:

I'm pretty sure the issue here is that the IP adress BT is providing you is changing, not the internal IP that the server is on. You normally have to pay for business class internet to get a static public IP. You can use dynamic DNS services that give you a domain name that always updates to your current IP. 

There's so much bad/incorrect advice in this thread. I'm 99% sure you're correct in your assessment.

@KieranFretwell it seems like the issue is that the Public IP that you connect to to log into the Teamspeak Server (Which is the same Public/WAN IP Address of your modem) is what keeps changing.

This is because your ISP is using DHCP (as is pretty standard for consumer internet) to assign your WAN IP address. There's literally nothing you can do in the modem to ENSURE that your IP never changes. You can try messing with the DCHP lease times all you want, but your ISP uses it's own mechanisms from their DHCP Server to determine how long you keep the same IP.

As @brwainer said, you can use a Dynamic DNS service (Such as Dyndns.org or no-ip.org - there are dozens of them) to get a URL that's always mapped to your WAN IP Address.

Basically a Dynamic DNS service will run a client on your network that constantly checks to see what the WAN IP Address is. This client is either a desktop program on one of your computers, or a feature in your Router. Many routers have Dynamic DNS clients built right into them.

The Dynamic DNS Service will then assign you a permanent URL (something like "kieransteamspeak.no-ip.org" or "dyndns.org/kiernsteamspeak" or whatever, you will get some choice in the URL). Then, every time your WAN IP Address changes, the client will update the DNS record (or the link) between the URL and your WAN IP Address.

So when connecting to the Teamspeak server, people will use the Dynamic DNS URL in place of the WAN IP Address (keeping any required port information the same as before).

For Sale: Meraki Bundle

iPhone Xr 128 GB Product Red - HP Spectre x360 13" (i5 - 8 GB RAM - 256 GB SSD) - HP ZBook 15v G5 15" (i7-8850H - 16 GB RAM - 512 GB SSD - NVIDIA Quadro P600)