Question about water cooling a graphics card

TopWargamer

I'm like 99% sure I should water cool my GPU now, not because of "silence" but out of necessity. I keep my room fairly cool, but whenever I play games the GPU goes way to 85 degrees Celsius and it heats up my entire room, making it very uncomfortable. I would like a simple water cooling solution. Would something as simple as attaching an H100i (or something like this) to the chip work well, if that's even possible? Because normally I see people getting these expensive blocks and pumps and stuff, and then having to deal with the water and replacing it every once in a while... I just don't necessarily want to deal with that.

COMIC SANS

Just now, TopWargamer said:

I'm like 99% sure I should water cool my GPU now, not because of "silence" but out of necessity. I keep my room fairly cool, but whenever I play games the GPU goes way to 85 degrees Celsius and it heats up my entire room, making it very uncomfortable. I would like a simple water cooling solution. Would something as simple as attaching an H100i (or something like this) do the trick, if that's even possible? Because normally I see people getting these expensive blocks and pumps and stuff, and then having to deal with the water and replacing it every once in a while... I just don't necessarily want to deal with that.

yes you can actually "attach" a h100i cooler on it by using a bracket by Corsair

Just now, k2711000 said:

yes you can actually "attach" a h100i cooler on it by using a bracket by Corsair

Link to said bracket? Or does it come with the cooler?

COMIC SANS

1 minute ago, Ichi said:

Which GPU we're talking about here?

Well right now I have an R9-290, but I'm going to be upgrading to either a 1070 or 1080 very soon, and I'll most likely water cool that instead of my 290. I'm just assuming that I'm going to have the same heating issues when I upgrade cards, so I'm preparing for it, if I have to do water cooling.

COMIC SANS

Just now, TopWargamer said:

Link to said bracket? Or does it come with the cooler?

wait a minute

1 minute ago, TopWargamer said:

Well right now I have an R9-290, but I'm going to be upgrading to either a 1070 or 1080 very soon, and I'll most likely water cool that instead of my 290. I'm just assuming that I'm going to have the same heating issues when I upgrade cards, so I'm preparing for it, if I have to do water cooling.

1070/1080 with aftermarket cooler will be fine, they usually hover around 6x~7x, never reach 80 degrees even under OC, only founders edition does that.

If you still going to keep that 290 for long then it's okay to consider watercooling.

But since you say "very soon", just deal with the heat for awhile until you upgrade.

NZXT also makes a bracket for attaching AIO water-coolers to GPUs:

https://www.nzxt.com/products/kraken-g10-white

Just make sure that for whatever you use, check the compatibility before buying.

Also, key thing here: water cooling your graphics cards WILL lower the gpu temperatures almost certainly, but it WILL NOT keep your room from getting just as hot as it was with the regular GPU cooler. Water cooling is basically just a faster and more efficient way to exhaust heat from a component than air cooling.

CodeMaster (Name Due for Update):

CPU: FX-8320 @ 4.6GHz | Motherboard: ASUS Sabertooth 990FX R2.0 | RAM: 24GBs Crucial DDR3-1600

GPU: Gigabyte GTX 970 Windforce OC | Case: Fractal Design Define S | PSU: Corsair AX860i