LTE bullsh*t and secondary phone as LTE modem

thunderysteak

I live in a shithole where all major mobile providers charge you 25 bucks for 3 gigs of "Unlimited" (yes they call it unlimited) and then throttle it to 16kbps

Now there's a provider that offers Unlimited LTE internet with FUP limit to 100GB for only 5 bucks a month, but there's a catch. They use the infamous internet fast lanes and limit all streaming (Including Youtube) and P2P services to 1mbps with a 10GB limit and drop your whole connection if they notice that you're using a VPN. Yes, it's legal in this third world country even when it's shady as tits and there's no FTC or FCC to stop these jews.

Should I take this 5 bucks deal if I'm using a lot of internet on the go?

Now, I have Lumia 640 XL dual sim as my secondary phone with one slot free. Is it a good choice to use this phone as a mobile hotspot or should I invest into a proper portable wifi LTE modem that will probably cost more than the phone itself?

3 minutes ago, thunderysteak said:

shady as tits

judging by your diction, you can get by with out needing a "LTE modem that will probably cost more than the phone itself" so why bother, save them dollar dood, you need it for food

A proper WiFi hotspot won't drain your phone battery and will give you more options(like 5Ghz, channel selection, port forwarding, etc.), but if you don't need this stuff you will be fine. I've been using my phone as a hotspot for most of my internet needs, works most of the time but I have to make sure my batteries stay charged and understand that it is "mobile internet".

1 hour ago, thunderysteak said:

I live in a shithole where all major mobile providers charge you 25 bucks for 3 gigs of "Unlimited" (yes they call it unlimited) and then throttle it to 16kbps

Now there's a provider that offers Unlimited LTE internet with FUP limit to 100GB for only 5 bucks a month, but there's a catch. They use the infamous internet fast lanes and limit all streaming (Including Youtube) and P2P services to 1mbps with a 10GB limit and drop your whole connection if they notice that you're using a VPN. Yes, it's legal in this third world country even when it's shady as tits and there's no FTC or FCC to stop these jews.

Should I take this 5 bucks deal if I'm using a lot of internet on the go?

Now, I have Lumia 640 XL dual sim as my secondary phone with one slot free. Is it a good choice to use this phone as a mobile hotspot or should I invest into a proper portable wifi LTE modem that will probably cost more than the phone itself?

FYI, $25 for 3GB of Mobile Data would be considered a fucking awesome deal in Canada. Yep, a first world nation. I pay $72 CAD (including taxes) for my Mobile Smartphone Plan, and I only get 1GB of Data.

Anyway, I wouldn't bother with an LTE modem, unless you're planning on using a ton of devices on that $5/mo plan. If you're just gonna use your "Primary" phone, then just use the built in WIFI Hotspot of your Limia 640 XL. Decent LTE Modems start at like $200+ here in Canada, but I've no idea what your local prices are like.

For Sale: Meraki Bundle

iPhone Xr 128 GB Product Red - HP Spectre x360 13" (i5 - 8 GB RAM - 256 GB SSD) - HP ZBook 15v G5 15" (i7-8850H - 16 GB RAM - 512 GB SSD - NVIDIA Quadro P600)

9 hours ago, dalekphalm said:

FYI, $25 for 3GB of Mobile Data would be considered a fucking awesome deal in Canada. Yep, a first world nation. I pay $72 CAD (including taxes) for my Mobile Smartphone Plan, and I only get 1GB of Data.

Anyway, I wouldn't bother with an LTE modem, unless you're planning on using a ton of devices on that $5/mo plan. If you're just gonna use your "Primary" phone, then just use the built in WIFI Hotspot of your Limia 640 XL. Decent LTE Modems start at like $200+ here in Canada, but I've no idea what your local prices are like.

The $25 is on top of a $30 phone plan which has only data, 30 free minutes and no free SMS, it's basically called a pure data plan with a cherry on top with the free minutes

4 hours ago, thunderysteak said:

The $25 is on top of a $30 phone plan which has only data, 30 free minutes and no free SMS, it's basically called a pure data plan with a cherry on top with the free minutes

Hmm, so $55 for 30 minutes, no SMS, and 3GB of Data?

Interesting deal. The calling and SMS features are very substandard here (Almost everything is unlimited Nationwide for both now), but a $55 plan here in Ontario would likely have less than 1GB of Data (Probably 500 MB). So I guess you're trading one for the other (Although frankly most people use Data way more than they use Calling these days lol).

For Sale: Meraki Bundle

iPhone Xr 128 GB Product Red - HP Spectre x360 13" (i5 - 8 GB RAM - 256 GB SSD) - HP ZBook 15v G5 15" (i7-8850H - 16 GB RAM - 512 GB SSD - NVIDIA Quadro P600)