Modding DT 990 pros?

Go to solution Solved by Volbet,

While I don't want to take away the joy of a good modding job, have you considered just buying a pair of DT990 Premiums through the Beyerdynamic workshop?

That way you can have the wire and colour you want without the risk of breaking anything.

While I can't give you a step-by-step guide, I can confirm that it is a pretty simple job.

You just have to take take the left earcup apart by removing the screws, and then you just desolder the wire and solder in your own wire.

You could also just cut the wire and solder a male TRS on the wire, essentially copying the Superlux solution. 

So I'm looking to buy a pair of DT 990 pros and one of the big downers about the pair is the curly annoying cable. 

I know its possible to mod these headphones, i've seen plenty of pictures of modded 770's and 880's. I am quite confident in my soldering skills and was wondering if there was any downsides

to modding headphones like this? Is there any chance of loss of sound quality? I'm guessing not really. Was also hoping someone could show me a guide if there is any on the process, I hear its actually pretty simple.

The second looking to do was a bit of a paint job. Really I just need to know the best type of paint to use and maybe a few pointers. I have a silver and blue setup and was planning on 

painting the grill and cup around it a blue color with the head adjust more silver.

Thanks for any help you can give!

While I don't want to take away the joy of a good modding job, have you considered just buying a pair of DT990 Premiums through the Beyerdynamic workshop?

That way you can have the wire and colour you want without the risk of breaking anything.

While I can't give you a step-by-step guide, I can confirm that it is a pretty simple job.

You just have to take take the left earcup apart by removing the screws, and then you just desolder the wire and solder in your own wire.

You could also just cut the wire and solder a male TRS on the wire, essentially copying the Superlux solution. 

Nova doctrina terribilis sit perdere

Audio format guides: Vinyl records | Cassette tapes

Easy peasy lemon squeezy.

Need one of these (this is a 10 pack, but its a dollar...)

http://www.ebay.com/itm/10-Pcs-3-Pins-Chassis-Mount-Female-3-5mm-Mono-Jacks-Socket-Connectors-T8-/171995261431?hash=item280bb769f7:g:V9cAAOSwwbdWQq-F

You open up the heapdhones, cut the regular wire, solder the 3 wires to the (correct) terminals (you will have to look up diagrams to see what color wire goes to what terminal).

Then glue the little conector in a good place so you can plug a wire into the hole.

Then you are done, just need a 3.5mm cable.

I recabled headphones before, but did not make them removable due to space constraints.

n0ah1897, on 05 Mar 2014 - 2:08 PM, said:  "Computers are like girls. It's whats in the inside that matters.  I don't know about you, but I like my girls like I like my cases. Just as beautiful on the inside as the outside."

7 minutes ago, Volbet said:

Thanks! I didn't even know Beyerdynamic had a workshop, i'll be sure to check it out, and thank you for the help here :)