1070 or used 980?

So I recently built my first computer and I am pretty proud of the thing. I've been using the graphics on my i5 6600k and its been fine for games like Dota and Half Life 2 but I want to get a graphics card. I was really hyped when I saw the 1070 but sadly it's really nowhere close to its MSRP.......so should I wait for it to go down in price or get a "used like new 980". oh, and I game on a 1080p 144hz monitor, I love me some high frame-rates!  

1 minute ago, Calvin Flowers said:

So I recently built my first computer and I am pretty proud of the thing. I've been using the graphics on my i5 6600k and its been fine for games like Dota and Half Life 2 but I want to get a graphics card. I was really hyped when I saw the 1070 but sadly it's really nowhere close to its MSRP.......so should I wait for it to go down in price or get a "used like new 980". oh, and I game on a 1080p 144hz monitor, I love me some high frame-rates!  

I would wait for the 1070. It has considerable performance gains from the 980. I love me some 144hz too haha.

I have many leather-bound books.

CPU: Intel Core i7 6800K - 4.3 GHz | Motherboard: ASUS X99 Deluxe II | RAM: 16GB Hyper-X Fury | SSD: Samsung 850 EVO - 500GB | HDD: WD Blue 1TB GPU:  Gigabyte GTX 1080 G1 | PSU: Corsair RM750i | Case: NZXT Switch 810 | Cooling: Corsair H100i v2 Hydro | Monitors: Acer G257HU - Acer GN246HL | Peripherals: Razer Blackwidow Chroma - Razer Mamba -  Astro A50

1070 for sure, just wait about a month or so.

When more are in stock prices will go down a bit.

Much better than a 980.

NEW PC build: Blank Heaven   minimalist white and black PC     Old S340 build log "White Heaven"        The "LIGHTCANON" flashlight build log        Project AntiRoll (prototype)        Custom speaker project

Spoiler

Ryzen 3950X | AMD Vega Frontier Edition | ASUS X570 Pro WS | Corsair Vengeance LPX 64GB | NZXT H500 | Seasonic Prime Fanless TX-700 | Custom loop | Coolermaster SK630 White | Logitech MX Master 2S | Samsung 980 Pro 1TB + 970 Pro 512GB | Samsung 58" 4k TV | Scarlett 2i4 | 2x AT2020

4 minutes ago, Calvin Flowers said:

You can easily play DOTA on a 144Hz 1080p monitor on a 980 and you won't have to wait and it will cost a hell of a lot less. I don't see a reason to even buy a 1070...

|PSU Tier List /80 Plus Efficiency| PSU stuff if you need it. 

My system: PCPartPicker || For Corsair support tag @Corsair Josephor @Corsair Nick || My 5MT Legacy GT Wagon ||

Definitely wait until the prices for some of the high-end cards come down, and watch the Zotac Amp! and the Asus ROG Strix.

I will most likely not respond to you in a thread unless you quote me.

$500 PC | $800 PC | $1000 PC | $1200 PC | $1500 PC | $2000 PC | $2500 PC | $3000 PC | $4000 PC

Spoiler

Damnit Carl (My portable POS):

CPU: Core i7-6700HQ

Motherboard: Toshiba L55-C5392 Mobo

RAM: 8GB DDR3 (even though I have Skylake)

GPU: Intel HD Graphics 530

Case: Toshiba L55-C5392 Case

Storage: 525 GB Crucial MX300 SSD

PSU: Whatever power jack comes with it

Display: Some 1366 x 768 garbage + an OK 1080p monitor

Cooling: Not enough + an external laptop tray

Keyboard: The included one

Mouse: $4 Lenovo 3D Optical Mouse (not as bad as you (rightly) assumed)

Sound: The Skullcandy branding right under the power button should clue you in

Operating System: Windows 10 Home

PCPartPicker URL: pcpartpicker.com/i-wish-i-had-enough-money-for-a-desktop-my-laptop-is-so-sh*t-its-not-even-on-portablepicker

Alright, haha how much longer do you think until the card goes down in price? I hope to have a graphics card by the fall

Just now, STRMfrmXMN said:

You can easily play DOTA on a 144Hz 1080p monitor on a 980 and you won't have to wait and it will cost a hell of a lot less. I don't see a reason to even buy a 1070...

I love triple A titles but I can't play them on my i5 

2 minutes ago, Calvin Flowers said:

You will be happy you waited for the 1070 price to fall. Better performance and latest gen. No brainer.

CPU: Intel Core i7 6800K - 4.3 GHz | Motherboard: ASUS X99 Deluxe II | RAM: 16GB Hyper-X Fury | SSD: Samsung 850 EVO - 500GB | HDD: WD Blue 1TB GPU:  Gigabyte GTX 1080 G1 | PSU: Corsair RM750i | Case: NZXT Switch 810 | Cooling: Corsair H100i v2 Hydro | Monitors: Acer G257HU - Acer GN246HL | Peripherals: Razer Blackwidow Chroma - Razer Mamba -  Astro A50

11 minutes ago, Calvin Flowers said:

You should have no trouble playing any triple A title on an i5. What i5 do you have? Also, what does that have to do with what I said?

EDIT: realized I sound angry xD I'm not angry, just wondering why you mentioned your i5. Are you referring to the onboard graphics?

My system: PCPartPicker || For Corsair support tag @Corsair Josephor @Corsair Nick || My 5MT Legacy GT Wagon ||

5 minutes ago, Oakley said:

You will be happy you waited for the 1070 price to fall. Better performance and latest gen. No brainer.

It's definitely a brainer. A used 980 costs at least 150 dollars less than a 1070 and neither of the games he plays are going to utilise the extra oomph of a 1070.

Just now, STRMfrmXMN said:

It's definitely a brainer. A used 980 costs at least 150 dollars less than a 1070 and neither of the games he plays are going to utilise the extra oomph of a 1070.

It said that he wants too play triple A titles? Besides why not spend the extra 150 and future proof yourself a little more...

Just now, Oakley said:

It said that he wants too play triple A titles? Besides why not spend the extra 150 and future proof yourself a little more...

Depends on the triple A titles at hand. A 980 still maxes out many games. OP can get a 1070 if he wants but I'd save money and wait for 1070 prices to come down to earth.

Why do people think the 1070 will drop in price?

The MSRP of aftermarket cards are already a fact, an EVGA SC+ has an MSRP 420 and their FTW+ has an MSRP of 440. The FE, 449.

None of the cards will be touching 379.

As long as everybody else is still buying the 1070 at its current price there will be no price drops anytime.

When the price of the 1070 does indeed drop it's probably already time to look at other better options which will be out.

Either grab a 1070 now or look at cheaper (980ti or lower) options. For example a brand new 980ti for $390 or less would be cheap since its 10% less pricey yet performs within ±5%.

In that regard a 980 for 300 is a solid buy as well.

Honestly I wouldnt hold my breathe on the 1070s coming down to MSRP anytime soon. If you can get the 980 at a good price (About $250 Id say) go for it. Maybe look at some low priced 1060s even, since Ive been seeing them close to or even at MSRP and they are at the 980's performance.

CPU: I5 4590 Motherboard: ASROCK H97 Pro4 Ram: XPG 16gb v2.0 4x4 kit  GPU: Gigabyte GTX 970 PSU: EVGA 550w Supernova G2 Storage: 128 gb Sandisk SSD + 525gb Mx300 SSD Cooling: Be Quiet! Shadow Rock LP Case: Zalman T2 Sound: Logitech Z506 5.1 Mouse: Razer Deathadder Chroma Keyboard: DBPower LED