Anti Virus Program

Nudgy

Hey, I know LMG Has the best viewers in the world, I own a windows 10 computer, I was wondering what Anti-Virus Programs I should use besides Windows defender, I want something that stronger, and will help my system, and protect me from website malware,

Thanks, Adam

Malware Bytes

Rigs I've Built

The Striker i5 4590 @ 3.7 ||  MSI GTX 980 Armor X2 || Corsair RMX 750 || Team Elite Plus 8 GB || Define S || MSI Z97S SLI Krait

The Office PC i3 4160 @ 3.6 || Intel 4600 || EVGA 500B || G.Skill 8 GB || Cooler Master N200 || ASRock H97M Pro4

The Friend PC G3258 @ 4.3 || Sapphire R9 280X Tri-X || EVGA 600B || 8 GB Dell Ram || Cooler Master N200 || ASRock H97M- iTX/ac

The Mom Gaming PC A10-7890K @ 4.4 || iGPU + ASUS R7 250 ||  8 GB Klevv DDR3-2800 Mhz

360 Total Security.

"It pays to keep an open mind, but not so open your brain falls out." - Carl Sagan.

"I can explain it to you, but I can't understand it for you" - Edward I. Koch

Do you want to pay for it? If not, and if you are fairly tech-savvy and therefore aren't that scared about getting a virus, use Malwarebytes free. If you want more security (like if people who have a higher risk of getting you a virus will use the computer), maybe pay for Malwarebytes or something else such as Bitdefender and Vipre, both of which I have had good experiences with, or maybe Avast which I haven't tried but I've heard is good as well.

Lenovo Ideapad 720s 14 inch ------ One day I'll have a desktop again...

3 minutes ago, Jonnyswboy said:

I've never used an anti virus and have gotten almost no malware ever besides trusted programs that were infected.

Just be smart.

And you just proved the point that I've been trying to state for years.

It doesn't matter if you only go to "safe" websites or not. Your PC is always at risk to be infected by malware in all forms, and using "common sense" or being "smart" is a lousy way of protecting you and your data.

"It pays to keep an open mind, but not so open your brain falls out." - Carl Sagan.

"I can explain it to you, but I can't understand it for you" - Edward I. Koch

3 hours ago, 007agentHP said:

Malware Bytes

That's anti malware. Still a very nice and helpful program though for sure. 

webroot

Red (Soon to be Retired)CPU: FX-8350 Cooler: CM 212 Evo  GPU: Gigabyte GTX 1060 6GB RAM: 16 GB Kingston HyperX 1866MHz Mobo: Asus M5A97 LE R2.0 SSD: Kingston 128 GB (Boot), Samsung 860 EVO 500 GB (Main Games) HDD: WD Black 1 TB (Storage + Older Games) PSU: EVGA W1 500W Monitor: Dell ST2220l 21.5". Peripherals: Razer Blackwidow Ultimate 2013 Keyboard, Razer Deathadder Mouse, SteelSeries mosepad, 

I use Webroot SecureAnywhere, AVG Free, and ClamWin. Regardless of how smart you think you are, you're dumb as a rock compared to most of the hackers you're up against and recommending to people you don't know not to use AV software is both ignorant and part of the problem. Just because you don't care about your data, hardware, or network doesn't mean other people don't care about theirs.

-KuJoe

I just use AVG Internet Security right now.
You can get a whole year, free, using this key

IBY9X-ESYXT-W4BZQ-QI4WX-A9LI7-INRS3

along with the "paid"(not trial) download version of it (activate the serial during install)
http://www.avg.com/ca-en/download.prd-isc

I also run Malwarebytes like once a month, just in case. (never find anything though, because I'm actually careful on the web...)

CPU: AMD Ryzen 3700x / GPU: Asus Radeon RX 6750XT OC 12GB / RAM: Corsair Vengeance LPX 2x8GB DDR4-3200
MOBO: MSI B450m Gaming Plus / NVME: Corsair MP510 240GB / Case: TT Core v21 / PSU: Seasonic 750W / OS: Win 10 Pro

I personally use a combo of ESET NOD32 and Malwarebytes Pro as both are apparently a good suggestion. Malwarebytes has a free version, but NOD32 costs money.

I DO NOT KNOW why everyone asks this question.  It's a good question, thats one reason.  It's not you, don't feel like it's you.  It's because I still have to support many people on other sites and have to answer similar questions.  It's not a simple answer for me, it's a long answer.  If you actually care about your system security you will read this whole comment, because I genuinely care about everyone and want everyone to have the best security. 

in short, the answer is Windows Defender because it's built into Windows and that means that the built in protection of the Microsoft operating system can protect the memory blocks allocated to Windows Defender.  I've been in the security industry for 5 years, which may not seem like much but I'm only 16, and did work for AVG since the age of 12.  I have experience. 

Antivirus SUCKS and it's known, it is known...  This isn't because their detection is horrible, it's not, it isn't because they are bad coded, they are coded much better than I could code, it isn't because they aren't good at all.  It's because like every other peice of software they are vulnerable.  Antivirus software normally integrates itself deep into the OS. 

Installing filter drivers, sometimes servers to allow certain functionality and often integrate partially into the Windows Kernel. 

This in itself is risky, Symantec, AVG, Kaspersky, Trend Micro, Mcafee, Avast.  They all have one thing in common.  They have all had HUGE vulnerabilities that allowed administrative access to the kernel level of the Windows Operating system.  It's almost like giving a highly skilled attacker access to your system in exchange for protection against crappy viruses. 

You've got to remember, antiviruses don't protect you from much, and what they protect you from is normally viruses that may cause damage but are always recoverable.  If someone hacks into your system THROUGH a remote code execution vulnerability, combined with a buffer overflow attack like Trend Micro had earlier this year, then planted a rootkit into your bios or onto the master boot record of your hard drive.  You would be screwed. 

People who say being smart protects you, that is only a nugget of truth. The real truth is that protection comes from being locked down and secure. This means locking down every device you have.  Have your firewall enabled (Windows Firewall is great), and have a system backup running, make sure your passwords are NOT stored on your computer in plain text and make sure your network is behind a NAT with a router that is up-to-date.  Make sure you have a sectools such as Sysinternals to check for malware should you be suspicious.  

There are other ways you can boost your security.  If you have an old machine you can actually turn it into a UTM for free! and have an IDS and Malware scanner intergrated! 

But the biggest part of being secure is keeping everything up-to-date and keeping up to date on the latest hacks.  This will keep you aware of what is going on. And knowledge is power, but it also comes at a risk, don't get into conspiracies right now, focus on the certainties and focus on them well.  

clear your browser cookies every time you exit, this will prevent attacks using cookies.  And NEVER add an extra trusted certificate to your system! 

If you need any help doing any of this or want to ask me any questions, pm me and I will help however I can.  Thanks!!