A Warning to Obsidian 350D Owners

DaftBehemoth
Go to solution Solved by DaftBehemoth,

You wont get a replacement because they don't cover damage that you did. Sorry.

I saw the title and panicked, ive got like 15 customers with a 350d, they wouldnt touch the fan filters. Wow thats a weights of my chest.

This happened to me a week after I did my 350D build in June. Showing off my airflow to a friend, then went to put the filter back and, yeah, you know.

Ordered the replacement fan five minutes later. :P

I just wanted to update at least a few of you guys. Corsair accepted my request for an RMA on the fan. If this happens to anybody, talk to Corsair. Their customer service is living up to their legendary name for me once again. :P

This is a quick message of caution for anyone who uses a 350D. If you're using two 140mm fans in the front of your case, DO NOT REMOVE THE FAN FILTER WHILE THE COMPUTER IS ON. The blades on a 140mm fan are high enough that the tab for the front filter will collide with the blades if it's pushed in even in the slightest. Just the pressure from my finger pushing in the tab to remove the filter was enough to destroy my top fan. :(

I've contacted Corsair support and I will update this post when I get a response. 

Corsair 900D | MSI MPower Max Z87 AC | i7-4790K @ 4.7Ghz | 1080 Ti SLI | 16GB Corsair Vengeance Pro 2400 
XSPC Raystorm | EK-FC Nickel GPU block/backplate | 2x Alphacool UT60 480mm & XT45 240mm | 11x Linus Edition NF-F12
Schiit Modi/Magni 2 Uber | 5" KRK Rokit G3 | KRK 10S2 | Acer Predator X34 | Dell S2716DG

Main Rig: -FX8150 -32gb Kingston HyperX BLUE -120gb Kingston HyperX SSD -1TB WD Black -ASUS R9 270 DCUII OC -Corsair 300r -Full specs on Profile

Other Devices: -One Plus One 64gb Sandstone Black -Canon T5 -Moto G -Pebble Smartwatch -Nintendo 2DS -G27 Racing Wheel

#PlugYourStuff - 720penis - 1080penis - #KilledMyWife - #LinusButtPlug - #HashtagsAreALifestyle - CAR BOUGHT: 2010 Corolla

Bad luck =\ Be careful next time.

[TRUENO] i7 4770k (~4.4Ghz, 1.28v) || Thermalright Macho 120 || Asus Z87 Gryphon || 2x8Gb Mushkin Blackline|| Reference NVIDIA GTX770 || Corsair Neutron GTX 480GB || 2x3TB WD HDD || Corsair 350D || Corsair RM750

I wouldn't have thought of corsair having an issue like this in one of their cases... Thanks for the advice.

Planning on trying StarCitizen (Highly recommended)? STAR-NR5P-CJFR is my referal link 

ok..... another bit of advice ..... 

if putting ssd mounts on top of hdd cage make sure bottom fan is removed

Cpu: Intel i7 4770k @4.4 Ghz | Case: Corsair 350D | Motherbord: Z87 Gryphon | Ram: dominator platinum 4X4 1866 | Video Card: SLI GTX 980 Ti | Power Supply: Seasonic 1000 platinum | Monitor: ACER XB270HU | Keyboard: RK-9100 | Mouse: R.A.T. 7 | Headset : HD 8 DJ | Watercooled

I saw the title and panicked, ive got like 15 customers with a 350d, they wouldnt touch the fan filters. Wow thats a weights of my chest.

cpu: intel i5 4670k @ 4.5ghz Ram: G skill ares 2x4gb 2166mhz cl10 Gpu: GTX 680 liquid cooled cpu cooler: Raijintek ereboss Mobo: gigabyte z87x ud5h psu: cm gx650 bronze Case: Zalman Z9 plus

Listen if you care.

Cpu: intel i7 4770k @ 4.2ghz Ram: G skill  ripjaws 2x4gb Gpu: nvidia gtx 970 cpu cooler: akasa venom voodoo Mobo: G1.Sniper Z6 Psu: XFX proseries 650w Case: Zalman H1

Yeah that's what I assume, but I'm gonna try anyway. The fan filter is designed to be pushed in to be released and then pulled out, so I'm hoping that they'll understand that this is a possible design flaw. You cannot remove that filter without pushing it in enough to touch a fan blade. We'll just see how it goes. Corsair has been kind to me in the past. 

You should have looked before you installed fans there.

As the specs say that it full supports two 140mm fans in the front (and has the mounting holes for it, of couse) I assumed that it wouldn't be a problem (and you know how well that usually goes).

Just a little tip: turn off your PC before cleaning it. :)

If I was planning on doing anything other than simply removing an extremely accessible fan filter I would have lol. I'm used to my Cosmos 2 that just lets you pop off the filters extremely easily without the possibility of causing issues. In my opinion, the purpose of a carefully designed, convenient fan filter is almost defeated if you have to shut down the system just to access it. Even my old Antec 1200 was more carefully thought out than that. 

Corsair 900D | MSI MPower Max Z87 AC | i7-4790K @ 4.7Ghz | 1080 Ti SLI | 16GB Corsair Vengeance Pro 2400 
XSPC Raystorm | EK-FC Nickel GPU block/backplate | 2x Alphacool UT60 480mm & XT45 240mm | 11x Linus Edition NF-F12
Schiit Modi/Magni 2 Uber | 5" KRK Rokit G3 | KRK 10S2 | Acer Predator X34 | Dell S2716DG

This is a quick message of caution for anyone who uses a 350D. If you're using two 140mm fans in the front of your case, DO NOT REMOVE THE FAN FILTER WHILE THE COMPUTER IS ON. The blades on a 140mm fan are high enough that the tab for the front filter will collide with the blades if it's pushed in even in the slightest. Just the pressure from my finger pushing in the tab to remove the filter was enough to destroy my top fan. :(

I've contacted Corsair support and I will update this post when I get a response. 

I don't know what went wrong man. I have the 350D, with two 140mm fans in the front and I have removed the fan filter, while the computer is on at least 5-6 times and I have never experienced any problems with it. Could this be some kind of defect on your particular case?

CPU: AMD Ryzen 9 - 3900x @ 4.4GHz with a Custom Loop | MBO: ASUS Crosshair VI Extreme | RAM: 4x4GB Apacer 2666MHz overclocked to 3933MHz with OCZ Reaper HPC Heatsinks | GPU: PowerColor Red Devil 6900XT | SSDs: Intel 660P 512GB SSD and Intel 660P 1TB SSD | HDD: 2x WD Black 6TB and Seagate Backup Plus 8TB External Drive | PSU: Corsair RM1000i | Case: Cooler Master C700P Black Edition | Build Log: here

I don't know what went wrong man. I have the 350D, with two 140mm fans in the front and I have removed the fan filter, while the computer is on at least 5-6 times and I have never experienced any problems with it. Could this be some kind of defect on your particular case?

Perhaps. I'll see what the Corsair rep ends up saying. I was shocked that this even happened. Everything seemed to be fine. What fans are you using? I had an AF140 in that top part (just in case that matters). I had a spare AF120 lying around, so I just threw that in there for now, which clears the filter easily.

Perhaps. I'll see what the Corsair rep ends up saying. I was shocked that this even happened. Everything seemed to be fine. What fans are you using? I had an AF140 in that top part (just in case that matters). I had a spare AF120 lying around, so I just threw that in there for now, which clears the filter easily.

I'm using two of the stock Corsair 140mm fans in the front as intakes, which came with my case and also with the H110 (the fans are exactly the same). 

CPU: AMD Ryzen 9 - 3900x @ 4.4GHz with a Custom Loop | MBO: ASUS Crosshair VI Extreme | RAM: 4x4GB Apacer 2666MHz overclocked to 3933MHz with OCZ Reaper HPC Heatsinks | GPU: PowerColor Red Devil 6900XT | SSDs: Intel 660P 512GB SSD and Intel 660P 1TB SSD | HDD: 2x WD Black 6TB and Seagate Backup Plus 8TB External Drive | PSU: Corsair RM1000i | Case: Cooler Master C700P Black Edition | Build Log: here

This happened to me a week after I did my 350D build in June. Showing off my airflow to a friend, then went to put the filter back and, yeah, you know.

Ordered the replacement fan five minutes later. :P

Let me guess the fans were quiet editions?

If so they are about 2mm wider than any other fan I can think of and that would do the trick.

i5-3570k @ 4.4ghz (1.240v) || Asrock extreme 4 || CM Hyper 212 evo

Samsung 840 || WD blue 1tb || WD green 1tb || Powercolor 7870 xt @ (1200 mhz core : 1500 mhz mem)