What is your ideal display size for pc gaming?

What is your preferred display size for pc gaming?  

31 members have voted

1. 1. What size do you prefer (assume zero constraints on preferred costs and feature sets - i.e. gysnc/freesync/hdr/strobing/4k/120-144Hz/etc/panel type)

• 23-27"
    • 32"
    • 40-43"
    • 44" on up
    • 34" on up with widescreen (21:9 ratio)
    • other

I ask all this because there is a definite size I want to get to, but whenever I post this somewhere invariably a lot of people comment that the sizes I want to play pc games at are way too big, and that they want to stay smaller.  So I come to you all, the vast font of untapped Linus throngs, you will forever settle the true desires of people.

Ignore current feature differentials on actual production displays, if you could all the features you wanted at whatever size you wanted, what would that idealized size and shape be?

I am impelled not to squeak like a grateful and frightened mouse, but to roar...

something that fills 110%of my FOV

aka just an image, nothing else

~New~  BoomBerryPi project !  ~New~

new build log : http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/533392-build-log-the-scrap-simulator-x/?p=7078757 (5 screen flight sim for 620$ CAD)LTT Web Challenge is back ! go here  :  http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/448184-ltt-web-challenge-3-v21/#entry601004

your poll makes nobsense

why condense the 99% and expand the 1% of used screens ?

new build log : http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/533392-build-log-the-scrap-simulator-x/?p=7078757 (5 screen flight sim for 620$ CAD)LTT Web Challenge is back ! go here  :  http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/448184-ltt-web-challenge-3-v21/#entry601004

I currently have a 25.5" monitor, would love to have a bigger one. Though I'm not sure if 32" would be too big or not...

CPU: AMD Ryzen 3700x / GPU: Asus Radeon RX 6750XT OC 12GB / RAM: Corsair Vengeance LPX 2x8GB DDR4-3200
MOBO: MSI B450m Gaming Plus / NVME: Corsair MP510 240GB / Case: TT Core v21 / PSU: Seasonic 750W / OS: Win 10 Pro

1 minute ago, givingtnt said:

your poll makes nobsense

why condense the 99% and expand the 1% of used screens ?

I genuinely though if cost was no issue, there would be more of a spread of interest in sizes, but it seems like almost everyone likes small screens.  And yes, I still consider a 27 inch monitor a relatively small screen compared to what is out there.

I am the lone (so far) voter of a 40-43 inch size.  I want that size, because a 4k screen around that size will have a similar ppi to my current 27" 1440p display at a given distance, but now I could increase my field of view with the display and go larger and have a more immersive experience.  I don't expect people who only play mobas and shooters to care to go larger, but imagine the difference in experience playing a mass effect andromeda on a 40 inch 4k display vs some 23-27 inch.

But now I see, to most people here, 27 inches is probably the ultra large display and anything larger is like a cartoonishly large monstrosity.

I am impelled not to squeak like a grateful and frightened mouse, but to roar...

4 minutes ago, TetraSky said:

I currently have a 25.5" monitor, would love to have a bigger one. Though I'm not sure if 32" would be too big or not...

Just to add some commentary on the differences in attitudes here.  If I had the means and the space and the hardware to drive a high enough resolution, I woul have a display that went from the corner of the ceiling all the way down to the floor, or close to it.  I do not think of things being too big, I would go to the absolute limit because in my mind, bigger display = more immersion.  

2 minutes ago, Sammael said:

I genuinely though if cost was no issue, there would be more of a spread of interest in sizes, but it seems like almost everyone likes small screens.  And yes, I still consider a 27 inch monitor a relatively small screen compared to what is out there.

I am the lone (so far) voter of a 40-43 inch size.  I want that size, because a 4k screen around that size will have a similar ppi to my current 27" 1440p display at a given distance, but now I could increase my field of view with the display and go larger and have a more immersive experience.  I don't expect people who only play mobas and shooters to care to go larger, but imagine the difference in experience playing a mass effect andromeda on a 40 inch 4k display vs some 23-27 inch.

But now I see, to most people here, 27 inches is probably the ultra large display and anything larger is like a cartoonishly large monstrosity.

40+ is mostly tv's not monitors

they are not the same

1 minute ago, givingtnt said:

40+ is mostly tv's not monitors

they are not the same

Ah, but that does not have to be.  Just like the 1440p revolution from before, the korean off brand display makers are leading the way for larger sizes.

There is no reason we can't have the same sorts of pc monitor features on larger displays, but it's going to be a slog getting there if these companies (rightly going of these poll results) think no one is interested in larger pc gaming displays.

1 minute ago, Sammael said:

Ah, but that does not have to be.  Just like the 1440p revolution from before, the korean off brand display makers are leading the way for larger sizes.

There is no reason we can't have the same sorts of pc monitor features on larger displays, but it's going to be a slog getting there if these companies (rightly going of these poll results) think no one is interested in larger pc gaming displays.

but is it because thry don't want it ?

or just because its not avalable ?

tv's can't stop getting bigger nowadays

11 minutes ago, Sammael said:

Just to add some commentary on the differences in attitudes here.  If I had the means and the space and the hardware to drive a high enough resolution, I woul have a display that went from the corner of the ceiling all the way down to the floor, or close to it.  I do not think of things being too big, I would go to the absolute limit because in my mind, bigger display = more immersion.  

Have you thought about just getting a projector? Would be a lot cheaper than a TV/Monitor the size of a wall. (considering that would probably cost as much as a brand new Tesla)

CPU: AMD Ryzen 3700x / GPU: Asus Radeon RX 6750XT OC 12GB / RAM: Corsair Vengeance LPX 2x8GB DDR4-3200
MOBO: MSI B450m Gaming Plus / NVME: Corsair MP510 240GB / Case: TT Core v21 / PSU: Seasonic 750W / OS: Win 10 Pro

Stuck with 24" 1080p now. But im looking into 34" 3440*1440p immersionss! 

Did you try turning it on and off first?

21.5 here, it's perfect for 1080P content, PPI is nice too. Ordered a AOC 28 inch 4K monitor though.

Core i7 6700k @ 4800mhz 1.33v * 16GB Corsair Vengeance LPX @ 3000mhz * ASUS Z170-A * Corsair H100i * ASUS GTX 1080 STRIX @ 2100mhz * XFX Pro Black Edition 80+ Gold 850w * Phanteks ECLIPSE P400S * AOC U2879VF 28" 4K

27 is perfect for me, any larger and i think a curved screen and more head/eye movement would be necessary.  

I don't have the money to buy anything bigger than that. And then i have to upgrade my GPU. But the 27" would done just right. And you could put of them a side. :) But now i have 23" because, i don't have enough space for the 27" screen.

3 hours ago, Dan Castellaneta said:

21.5", 1360x768.

I hope this is just what you have and not your ideal.  Remember guys, this was about what you'd want if resources were no constraint, or space, or technology.

To give a better sense, If I had the space and means and technology, THIS is what I would prefer to have as a computer display.

Going off most of your choices, your heads have now exploded.  But imagine loading up an 8k mass effect andromeda on that thing!

It is time you all took off the shackles of only ever desiring tiny little screens for your tiny little rooms, free yourself, and escape into a new world.