GTX 1070 display intermittent on boot

Hi,

I have swapped out my GTX 970 for a GTX 1070.

I am having an issue where sometimes on boot I get no display, but windows boots fine, ASUS motherboard gives 1 long beep and 3 short beeps indicating "no vga detected"  https://www.asus.com/support/faq/1029959/

Swapping back to the 970 and no such issue.

I've updated the mobo BIOS to the latest, still an issue. I've reset the bios, same issue.

Mobo: ASUS Z170M-PLUS

Card: Palit GeForce GTX 1070 GameRock Premier Edition

PSU: ThermalTake SP-530PCWEU 530W

Any ideas? PSU? RMA the card?

How do you know windows boots fine if there is no display?

And you should probably replace that PSU anyway just in case.

NEW PC build: Blank Heaven   minimalist white and black PC     Old S340 build log "White Heaven"        The "LIGHTCANON" flashlight build log        Project AntiRoll (prototype)        Custom speaker project

Spoiler

Ryzen 3950X | AMD Vega Frontier Edition | ASUS X570 Pro WS | Corsair Vengeance LPX 64GB | NZXT H500 | Seasonic Prime Fanless TX-700 | Custom loop | Coolermaster SK630 White | Logitech MX Master 2S | Samsung 980 Pro 1TB + 970 Pro 512GB | Samsung 58" 4k TV | Scarlett 2i4 | 2x AT2020

Reinstall the driver for your card. And make sure that any old overclocking profiles are not done to the new card. Clear things done to things like GPU Tweak or nvidiainspector or msi afterburner as those may be applying setting from your old card to the new card. If it's not helping, maybe check the power connection before RMAing the card

Blue screens eh? Did you try setting it to Wumbo?

have you tried a new bios on the card? im not sure where you might find one but if you can find the stock bios for your card try flashing it.

Its automatic, just press this button!

3 minutes ago, Damocles said:

Reinstall the driver for your card. And make sure that any old overclocking profiles are not done to the new card. Clear things done to things like GPU Tweak or nvidiainspector or msi afterburner as those may be applying setting from your old card to the new card. If it's not helping, maybe check the power connection before RMAing the card

drivers wouldn't make a difference if the card is not recognized at boot. because the card sets overclocks once in windows, that is probably not the issue either.

3 minutes ago, Enderman said:

How do you know windows boots fine if there is no display?

And you should probably replace that PSU anyway just in case.

I get the windows boot sound.

I've swapped out the PSU for a Corsair 550W PSU CMPSU-550VXUK I had. same issue. Works fine for x hours, reboot and poof, no display.

I'll look for a gfx card bios update..

2 minutes ago, mikepegg said:

I get the windows boot sound.

I've swapped out the PSU for a Corsair 550W PSU CMPSU-550VXUK I had. same issue. Works fine for x hours, reboot and poof, no display.

I'll look for a gfx card bios update..

Graphics cards have firmware, and updating it risks bricking the card.

I would test the card in another PC first, because it could definitely be a defective GPU.

Then RMA it and get a replacement.

NEW PC build: Blank Heaven   minimalist white and black PC     Old S340 build log "White Heaven"        The "LIGHTCANON" flashlight build log        Project AntiRoll (prototype)        Custom speaker project

Spoiler

Ryzen 3950X | AMD Vega Frontier Edition | ASUS X570 Pro WS | Corsair Vengeance LPX 64GB | NZXT H500 | Seasonic Prime Fanless TX-700 | Custom loop | Coolermaster SK630 White | Logitech MX Master 2S | Samsung 980 Pro 1TB + 970 Pro 512GB | Samsung 58" 4k TV | Scarlett 2i4 | 2x AT2020

graphics cards have firmware, not BIOS, and updating it risks bricking the card.

I would test the card in another PC first, because it could definitely be a defective GPU.

Then RMA it and get a replacement.

GPU bios, also known as a VGA bios, is the exact same thing as the firmware, just a different term. Look it up if you dont believe me.

2 minutes ago, mrgooglegeek said:

GPU bios, also known as a VGA bios, is the exact same thing as the firmware, just a different term. Look it up if you dont believe me.

http://www.howtogeek.com/210186/what-is-the-difference-between-bios-and-firmware/

As others have already stated, BIOS is the specific name for the motherboard Firmware in older PCs. New computers these days have a technically and somewhat different kind of Firmware called UEFI or EFI.

Please note that any computer will also contain other Firmware (besides BIOS/UEFI/EFI). Network cards, video cards, raid controllers, hard-drives, flash drives, SSDs, and sound cards (just to name a few) can all have Firmware embedded inside.

Weirdly enough, the Firmware for video cards is often called video BIOS. This is technically incorrect. BIOS is only appropriate for referring to the start up Firmware of the motherboard itself.

Spoiler

18 minutes ago, mrgooglegeek said:

while it may not be the technically correct term, it is still widely used. kind of like ain't not being a word, but still being in the dictionary.

It is a word, it is a contraction.

Contractions are words.

Spoiler

It is a word, it is a contraction.

Contractions are words.

oh never mind arguing with someone who is stuck on technicalities is pointless

Thanks guys, plumed for a replacement PSU, a Supernova G2 650W.

Cant make the error consistent so PSU would make sense, will post back in x months if it doesn't happen anymore and PSU fixed it.

update:

The PSU was not the issue. Looks like the BIOS update or CMOS pin refresh I did either failed or was not enough.

ASUS Support provided the following steps which worked:

In this case I recommend that you remove the graphics card from the motherboard. Then to do a Load Optimal Defaults in BIOS and a CMOS reset of the BIOS by taking out the battery for 3-5 minutes while the PSU is unplugged. While the power cord from the PSU is still unplugged, press the power button down for 30 seconds to power discharge the unit. Then place the CMOS battery back in, plug in the PSU and try again.

Then to do a Re-flash of the BIOS to the latest version, once the re-flash is done to do another Load Optimal Defaults in the BIOS and to test the GTX1070 graphics card again.

update again, stopped booting again.

Had the following slightly unbelievable response from ASUS:

In this case if the motherboard still does not work with the GTX1070, then it is most likely that there is an incompatibility between the motherboard and the graphics card. Also after checking with the QVL list of the motherboard, I can see that the GTX1070 does not appear in the QVL list, this means that the graphics card has not been tested on the motherboard and it is not supported.

So because the list https://www.asus.com/uk/Motherboards/Z170M-PLUS/HelpDesk_QVL/ for devices is dated 2015/08/05 which is before any geforce 10-series cards were even released, that's the end from them. yeah thanks.