Coaxial Router & Modem

Gomo

Hello guys,

In short, I'm looking for a modem & router combo that supports coaxial cable internet input (preferably with external antennas). Price: max $200. I looked it up a bit but can't seem to find a single combo router, just modems.. Your help would be appreciated!

Who is your ISP? It would be pretty futile to suggest combo units if the ISP won't support them.

Current Network Layout:

Current Build Log/PC:

Prior Build Log/PC:

ATM they don't support combo units, but they will starting next month, due to the new consumer law taking effect. Hence the reason why I'd like to buy new one.

28 minutes ago, Gomo said:

ATM they don't support combo units, but they will starting next month, due to the new consumer law taking effect. Hence the reason why I'd like to buy new one.

Yah but I doubt they support every one available and instead a specific set of them. I could be wrong though but I would call them up and see if there is a list of ones they will support and then we can help you narrow down the best from that liast.

Current Network Layout:

Current Build Log/PC:

Prior Build Log/PC:

5 hours ago, Lurick said:

Yah but I doubt they support every one available and instead a specific set of them. I could be wrong though but I would call them up and see if there is a list of ones they will support and then we can help you narrow down the best from that liast.

No, they don't have a list and I seriously doubt that they'll ever put one up. Why? Because they're 'power/control hungry' like every other provider out there. My current modem/router has it's firmware reduced to bare minimum, meaning I have almost no control over my router. And if they did put up a list, I wouldn't be here asking for help..

6 hours ago, Gomo said:

No, they don't have a list and I seriously doubt that they'll ever put one up. Why? Because they're 'power/control hungry' like every other provider out there. My current modem/router has it's firmware reduced to bare minimum, meaning I have almost no control over my router. And if they did put up a list, I wouldn't be here asking for help..

What type of service do you have. DSL, Cable, Fiber? That matters. Most Combo Units with Coax will be cable modems. I only mention this because Verizon Fiber service uses a special modem that connects from the ONT to router via Coax. 

If you have a cable internet, I would say look at a Motorola modem. I cant recommend any because I dont like Combo units. But I have a standard Motorola cable modem and it has been rock solid going on at least 2 years. Its saved up at least $120. 

I just want to sit back and watch the world burn. 

17 hours ago, Gomo said:

Hello guys,

In short, I'm looking for a modem & router combo that supports coaxial cable internet input (preferably with external antennas). Price: max $200. I looked it up a bit but can't seem to find a single combo router, just modems.. Your help would be appreciated!

Arris/Motorola Cable Modems are awesome - especially the SB series (I have an SB standalone modem). Here's an all-in-one unit:

https://www.amazon.com/ARRIS-SURFboard-SBG6580-DOCSIS-Router/dp/B0040IUI46/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1469509125&sr=8-1&keywords=motorola+cable+modem+router

This is a more basic unit w/ Wireless N

Here's a higher end model w/ Wireless AC:

https://www.amazon.com/SURFboard-SBG6700AC-DOCSIS-AC1600-Router/dp/B00QQ7SG48/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1469509383&sr=8-1&keywords=cable+modem+router+ac

EDIT: Obviously check compatibility w/ your ISP before purchasing. Some ISP's will limit which model of modems they let you use, and some even specify specific firmware/hardware revisions.

For Sale: Meraki Bundle

iPhone Xr 128 GB Product Red - HP Spectre x360 13" (i5 - 8 GB RAM - 256 GB SSD) - HP ZBook 15v G5 15" (i7-8850H - 16 GB RAM - 512 GB SSD - NVIDIA Quadro P600)

12 hours ago, Donut417 said:

What type of service do you have. DSL, Cable, Fiber?

I've got cable (coaxial cable).

1 hour ago, dalekphalm said:

Arris/Motorola Cable Modems are awesome - especially the SB series (I have an SB standalone modem). Here's an all-in-one unit:

https://www.amazon.com/ARRIS-SURFboard-SBG6580-DOCSIS-Router/dp/B0040IUI46/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1469509125&sr=8-1&keywords=motorola+cable+modem+router

How's the range? Any complains in general?

6 hours ago, Gomo said:

I've got cable (coaxial cable).

How's the range? Any complains in general?

I couldn't say how the WIFI range (assuming that's what you're talking about) does.

But it has internal antenna's, so don't expect ground breaking range.

If you need really good WIFI range, you're much better off getting a standalone Modem such as the SB6121 + a really nice WIFI Router (Eg: TP-Link Archer, Nighthawk, high end ASUS, etc).

For Sale: Meraki Bundle

iPhone Xr 128 GB Product Red - HP Spectre x360 13" (i5 - 8 GB RAM - 256 GB SSD) - HP ZBook 15v G5 15" (i7-8850H - 16 GB RAM - 512 GB SSD - NVIDIA Quadro P600)