RX 490 speculation

pyr0

RX 490 Speculation  

10 members have voted

1. 1. What will the RX 490 Be?

• Early release for Vega
    • Dual Polaris 10 Card
    • Other (Please specify)

Recently, AMD listed the RX 490 on their website, and rumors say that it will release in 2016. Based on this, and the fact that AMD said they are only releasing 2 Polaris GPUs, in the form of Polaris 11 (RX 460) and Polaris 10 (RX 470 and 480) Along with the fact that AMD have said that the 480 uses the full fat Polaris 10, Do you think the RX 490 marks an early release for Vega, do you think it will be a dual Polaris 10 Chip, or do you think it is something else. If you think it will be something else, please detail in replies.

Isn't it confirmed its a duel Polaris 10 card?

If anyone asks you never saw me.

Just now, App4that said:

No, I don't believe it has

I have heard some ware that it is using Hbm2 which is vega so i suppose so...

System:  CPU: A6-6400k Motherboard: Asus A88xm-Plus RAM: 2x4GB muskin ddr3 1333mhz GPU: Integrated Case: Aerocool aero-800 

Storage: 1TB Toshiba 7200rpm PSU: Cti 500w Display(s): 1x28" Tv Cooling: Amd Stock Fan

Yeah the update for GPUZ lists it as a duel Polaris 10 card. So I think all we don't know is if it will be a cut down GPU

Also looking at this chart (underneath) Polaris is looking to be released mid 2016 which it was and Vega late 2016 

Capsaicin-Presented-by-AMD-Radeon_FINAL-page-012-635x357.jpg

System:  CPU: A6-6400k Motherboard: Asus A88xm-Plus RAM: 2x4GB muskin ddr3 1333mhz GPU: Integrated Case: Aerocool aero-800 

Storage: 1TB Toshiba 7200rpm PSU: Cti 500w Display(s): 1x28" Tv Cooling: Amd Stock Fan

4 minutes ago, pyr0 said:

Recently, AMD listed the RX 490 on their website, and rumors say that it will release in 2016. Based on this, and the fact that AMD said they are only releasing 2 Polaris GPUs, in the form of Polaris 11 (RX 460) and Polaris 10 (RX 470 and 480) Along with the fact that AMD have said that the 480 uses the full fat Polaris 10, Do you think the RX 490 marks an early release for Vega, do you think it will be a dual Polaris 10 Chip, or do you think it is something else. If you think it will be something else, please detail in replies.

I think it will use a beefed up polaris chip

M1 MacBook Air 256/8 | iPhone 13 pro

Just now, RGProductions said:

I think it will use a beefed up polaris chip

OK, just that AMD said they were only releasing 2 polaris chips, and that the 480 uses the full polaris 10 chip

AMD can't afford to wait until 2017 to answer Nvidia with their line of cards. They'll bring the 490 out before the holidays 

Just now, pyr0 said:

OK, just that AMD said they were only releasing 2 polaris chips, and that the 480 uses the full polaris 10 chip

:( I would have done 3, can't wait for VEGA

M1 MacBook Air 256/8 | iPhone 13 pro

1 minute ago, App4that said:

AMD can't afford to wait until 2017 to answer Nvidia with their line of cards. They'll bring the 490 out before the holidays 

A couple of weeks before Black Friday.

Just now, TheRandomness said:

giphy.gif

Is my reaction now to all speculation threads

Mainly because fanboy wars

Oh god not that cyanide and happiness episode

12 minutes ago, App4that said:

xp8CYgx.jpg

Want to help researchers improve the lives on millions of people with just your computer? Then join World Community Grid distributed computing, and start helping the world to solve it's most difficult problems!

Just now, Imakuni said:

xp8CYgx.jpg

I don't believe so, and if that is the case then I will not buy it at christmas. I was going to crossfire two 390s instead of buying a faster card, so if that's the case then the 490 is just as bad.

1 minute ago, Imakuni said:

xp8CYgx.jpg

I see you're not only never run crossfire, but have triggered my trap card. Muahahahahaha!!!

j/k I messed that up

Just now, App4that said:

I see you're not only never run crossfire, but have triggered my trap card. Muahahahahaha!!!

j/k I messed that up

Oh, would you recommend that I buy a second 390 instead of getting a 1070/490/480x?

Just now, pyr0 said:

I don't believe so, and if that is the case then I will not buy it at christmas. I was going to crossfire two 390s instead of buying a faster card, so if that's the case then the 490 is just as bad.

Er... what are you talking about? I was just making a joke with the word "dual", which was mistyped as "duel". You know, I just love that picture; the meme status also makes it perfect for a speculations thread.

Want to help researchers improve the lives on millions of people with just your computer? Then join World Community Grid distributed computing, and start helping the world to solve it's most difficult problems!

1 minute ago, Imakuni said:

Er... what are you talking about? I was just making a joke with the word "dual", which was mistyped as "duel". You know, I just love that picture; the meme status also makes it perfect for a speculations thread.

oh, I wanted to quote the quote above the picture, whoops.

12 minutes ago, pyr0 said:

Oh, would you recommend that I buy a second 390 instead of getting a 1070/490/480x?

Both crossfire and SLI are spotty at best. If you want the best performance you'll be buying your games based off support rather than what looks good. And you'll be buying older games as both usually take weeks or even months to get support. Always better to get the strongest single card you can buy.

Let's just wait and see what AMD has to say speculations are not facts so uh... ?good luck?

1 minute ago, demonaii said:

Let's just wait and see what AMD has to say speculations are not facts so uh... ?good luck?

this isn't so much about who is right or wrong. I know speculations aren't facts, I am just curious what people think. I don't know myself, but I hope it is a vega chip, instead of a dual polaris chip, which means I'll be forced to go Nvidia, which is a shame as I found a really nice cheap freesync panel, that I can't buy If I go Nvidia (Well I can but I won't get many of the advantages

Personally, as much as I want Vega to drop with HBM2 around Christmas, I just can't see it. Vega will have two iterations, just like Polaris with Vega 10 and Vega 11, only this time around Vega 11 will be the performance one and 10 will be it's little brother. That's what we know that was kinda officially confirmed. Now, if you take this info into account and that Raja been slowly hyping up Vega 10 release on his twitter, we can make safe assumption that 490 that will drop soon won't be HBM2 card and only new Vega 11 that will be Fury replacement in earlyish 2017 will have HBM2. All this means that 490 is GDDR5 gpu most likely being competitor to 1070 and not 1080 killer:(