4790 vs 4790k

Im looking to but a new CPU, but am also on a little bit of a budget. I know i want an i7 but cant decide if i need a k edition processor or not. I want to be able to stream. Will overclocking by say .5GHz show significant enough improvement in my streaming performance to justify the extra money? (i know that overclocking does not do all that much for FPS)

I recommend going with 6700/6700k insted and there should be diffrence in perf if you oc

''Daddy CumTits 2.0'' (pc):

CPU - Intel i7 8700k

GPU - Asus Strix 1080 8gb

RAM - 2x8gb Corsair Vengance 

MOBO - Asus Prime Z370-p

PSU - Corsair RM750x

something to note is the 4790k ships out the box with a higher clock speed already.

that said, for streaming, you'll have more performance to your disposal as clock speed increases, the question is if you're gonna be able to make use of it. (which depends on the game you're streaming, and the specific setup of your livestream. it's more of a "trial and error" approach than an actual math question)

4 minutes ago, MKeefeus said:

Im looking to but a new CPU, but am also on a little bit of a budget. I know i want an i7 but cant decide if i need a k edition processor or not. I want to be able to stream. Will overclocking by say .5GHz show significant enough improvement in my streaming performance to justify the extra money? (i know that overclocking does not do all that much for FPS)

The stock clock speeds are higher on the 4790k without even overclocking, but unless you can upgrade for a very low cost, going from a 4790 to a 4790k wouldn't be worth it.

@Simon771  just did the upgrade from 4790 to 4790k and I'd imagine in a few days he'll be able to give you feedback.

16 minutes ago, done12many2 said:

The stock clock speeds are higher on the 4790k without even overclocking, but unless you can upgrade for a very low cost, going from a 4790 to a 4790k wouldn't be worth it.

@Simon771  just did the upgrade from 4790 to 4790k and I'd imagine in a few days he'll be able to give you feedback.

Get i7 4790k or i7 6700k.

I will always recommend going for K version.

I did mistake 6 months ago when I bought i7 4790 non K version ... had to pay almost extra 100€ now, to swap it for i7 4790k. So don't make same mistake as me, and go get K version.

6 months ago I was like: nah, I won't be overclocking. Just few months later I went for water cooling and was mad that I didn't spend extra 30$ back then to get K version.

Even if you don't want to OC now, you might want in the future.

Keep in mind that i7 4790 will work on 3,8GHz when all cores are active.

Meanwhile you can set multiplier for i7 4790k to work all cores on 4,7GHz without any problem. So you are looking at almost 1GHz increase per core.

I hope, I will be able to give you some results after few days ... right now I'm having hard time with water cooling set up, but once it's done, I will do some benchmarking so you can see how much better K version actually is.

For the sake of PC master race, get K version xD 

Don't be like other guys with non K version .... like @done12many2 for example. I kinda feel bad for him not having K version CPU :P

Intel i7 12700K | Gigabyte Z690 Gaming X DDR4 | Pure Loop 240mm | G.Skill 3200MHz 32GB CL14 | CM V850 G2 | RTX 3070 Phoenix | Lian Li O11 Air mini

Samsung EVO 960 M.2 250GB | Samsung EVO 860 PRO 512GB | 4x Be Quiet! Silent Wings 140mm fans

WD My Cloud 4TB

59 minutes ago, Simon771 said:

Get i7 4790k or i7 6700k.

I will always recommend going for K version.

I did mistake 6 months ago when I bought i7 4790 non K version ... had to pay almost extra 100€ now, to swap it for i7 4790k. So don't make same mistake as me, and go get K version.

6 months ago I was like: nah, I won't be overclocking. Just few months later I went for water cooling and was mad that I didn't spend extra 30$ back then to get K version.

Even if you don't want to OC now, you might want in the future.

Keep in mind that i7 4790 will work on 3,8GHz when all cores are active.

Meanwhile you can set multiplier for i7 4790k to work all cores on 4,7GHz without any problem. So you are looking at almost 1GHz increase per core.

I hope, I will be able to give you some results after few days ... right now I'm having hard time with water cooling set up, but once it's done, I will do some benchmarking so you can see how much better K version actually is.

Don't be like other guys with non K version .... like @done12many2 for example. I kinda feel bad for him not having K version CPU :P

I got the 4790K because "screw the i5 4440 any further" (it started bottlenecking my GTX 970 in games at maximum shadow settings).

"We also blind small animals with cosmetics.
We do not sell cosmetics. We just blind animals."

"Please don't mistake us for Equifax. Those fuckers are evil"

This PSA brought to you by Equifacks.
PMSL

I have the K version, and am truly happy I went with it. Speedy little number, and does all I want. 

I mostly game, but do some recording, 3D rendering and image manipulation.

CPU: i7 4790K @ 4.5ghz | Mobo: Asus B85MG | RAM: Corsair Vengence 16GB 1600Mhz | GPU: R9 390X 

SSD: Kingston 240GB | PSU: Corsair CXM 600W | Case: CIT Dominator + 6 Corsair AF120 Fans all around | 

CPU Cooler: Cooler Master TX3 | Monitor: BenQ XL2730z 144Mhz 1440p | 

Keyboard: Corsair STRAFE | Mouse: Razer DeatherAdder Chroma

5 hours ago, Simon771 said:

Damn it!  I just realized that I didn't get a K version.  That was a mistake!

Think about this.

The 4790K...

- Can be overclocked

- Is at a higher clock speed out of the box

- Generally performs better

- Has a higher boost clock

- Is more recent

But...

- Is more expensive

- Has a higher tdp

- Needs motherboards that support overclocking (which are generally more expensive)

- Outputs more heat (if overclocked)

The 4790...

- Is cheaper (albeit by not that much)

- Has a lower tdp

- Code named Haswell (I like that word lol)

But...

- Is at a lower clock and boost

- Is impossible to overclock (well. nearly)

- Performs in the shadow of the 4790K

- Isn't as recent at the K

- Has one less letter on the specifications

Tight budget looks towards the 4790. But if you can afford a $20 - 30 delta, the K is calling your name.

Nothing.

5 hours ago, TheSuspect said:

Think about this.

The 4790K...

- Can be overclocked

- Is at a higher clock speed out of the box

- Generally performs better

- Has a higher boost clock

- Is more recent

But...

- Is more expensive

- Has a higher tdp

- Needs motherboards that support overclocking (which are generally more expensive)

- Outputs more heat (if overclocked)

The 4790...

- Is cheaper (albeit by not that much)

- Has a lower tdp

- Code named Haswell (I like that word lol)

But...

- Is at a lower clock and boost

- Is impossible to overclock (well. nearly)

- Performs in the shadow of the 4790K

- Isn't as recent at the K

- Has one less letter on the specifications

Tight budget looks towards the 4790. But if you can afford a $20 - 30 delta, the K is calling your name.

About the 4790K's motherboard-even my Asus H87M Pro can overclock my 4790K to 4.8GHz stable. So that's actually not a problem-that only applies to Haswell and Broadwell chips though as they are the only CPU with a FIVR

"We also blind small animals with cosmetics.
We do not sell cosmetics. We just blind animals."

"Please don't mistake us for Equifax. Those fuckers are evil"

This PSA brought to you by Equifacks.
PMSL

27 minutes ago, Dabombinable said:

About the 4790K's motherboard-even my Asus H87M Pro can overclock my 4790K to 4.8GHz stable. So that's actually not a problem-that only applies to Haswell and Broadwell chips though as they are the only CPU with a FIVR

Okay. Disregard the motherboard statement. 

Nothing.