What air cooler should I get?

vberl

I am currently buying the things need to build my first pc. I have no idea what type of cooler I need for my cpu. This is my parts list so far. Please inform me if I am missing any parts. I have already bought a Gtx 1060.

Intel i5 6500 

Corsair DDR4 8gb 

MSI tomahawk AC 

Corsair CX650W 

Kingston SSD 

Seagate barracuda 2tb

Corsair spec 03 

BenQ XL2430T 24” 

Also are there any keyboards that you could recommend with mechanical keys?

Just now, vberl said:

I am currently buying the things need to build my first pc. I have no idea what type of cooler I need for my cpu. This is my parts list so far. Please inform me if I am missing any parts. I have already bought a Gtx 1060.

Intel i5 6500 

Corsair DDR4 8gb 

MSI tomahawk AC 

Corsair CX650W 

Kingston SSD 

Seagate barracuda 2tb

Corsair spec 03 

BenQ XL2430T 24” 

For the cooler do you have a budget? Also you have a z170 motherboard when you don't need it as you have a non overclocking motherboard. You might consider a h170 motherboard to save some money

CPU: Intel i7-4790K @ stock for now --- RAM: Corsair Vengeance 16Gb --- MOBO: Asus Maximus VII Formula --- GPU: MSI Gaming GTX 980ti --- PSU: Corsair AX860i  ---  Storage: Samsung 850 250gb(OS), 3x Western Digital Blue 3tb (one for game and programs, two for media), 3tb WD Green(somewhat backup) and a Crucial M550 120gb SSD (caching games and programs drive)  --- Case: Fractal Define R5 --- Cooler: Corsair H100i with Noctua 2000rpm, Industrial Fans --- OS: Windows 10 --- Monitor: Asus PB298q + AOC l2260SWD --- Mouse: Logitech G502 Spectrum --- Keyboard: Corsair K70 (Cherry MX Red) Red LED's --- Audio: Audio Engine A2's (yes the originals), Sennheiser HD 58x Jubilee Audio-Technica ATH-AD900x, Audio-Technica ATH-M50x, Ant Lion Mod Mic V4 --- Laptop: Dell XPS 9750 

2 minutes ago, vberl said:

Again do you have a budget?

CPU: Intel i7-4790K @ stock for now --- RAM: Corsair Vengeance 16Gb --- MOBO: Asus Maximus VII Formula --- GPU: MSI Gaming GTX 980ti --- PSU: Corsair AX860i  ---  Storage: Samsung 850 250gb(OS), 3x Western Digital Blue 3tb (one for game and programs, two for media), 3tb WD Green(somewhat backup) and a Crucial M550 120gb SSD (caching games and programs drive)  --- Case: Fractal Define R5 --- Cooler: Corsair H100i with Noctua 2000rpm, Industrial Fans --- OS: Windows 10 --- Monitor: Asus PB298q + AOC l2260SWD --- Mouse: Logitech G502 Spectrum --- Keyboard: Corsair K70 (Cherry MX Red) Red LED's --- Audio: Audio Engine A2's (yes the originals), Sennheiser HD 58x Jubilee Audio-Technica ATH-AD900x, Audio-Technica ATH-M50x, Ant Lion Mod Mic V4 --- Laptop: Dell XPS 9750 

for the cooler i have a budget of about 50$ and for the keyboard i have a budget of about 75$.

Just now, vberl said:

for the cooler i have a budget of about 50$ and for the keyboard i have a budget of about 75$.

USD?

You don't need a Z170 motherboard as said before, you can save a bit of money that way. And since you don't plan on buying an overclockable CPU, you will not need an expensive cooler. Something like a Pure Rock or Hyper 212 will be just fine, like any sub-50$ cooler.

Corsair mechanical keyboards are incredible when it comes to build quality, but they're not cheap.

CPU : i7 8700k @5GHz, GPU : ASUS GTX 1080 Ti STRIX, RAM : 2x8Go 3000MHz Corsair Vengeance, MB : ASUS Prime Z370-A, PSU : CM V850, Case :  NZXT S340, CPU Cooler : NZXT Kraken x62, Monitor : Acer Predator XB271HU 27" 1440p 165Hz, OS : Windows 10 Home 64 bits  

I live in sweden and currently the i5 6600k is only 11 usd more expensive than the i5 6500.

Just now, vberl said:

All would be good choices for coolers

http://pcpartpicker.com/product/93Crxr/cryorig-cpu-cooler-h7

http://pcpartpicker.com/product/PJYXsY/cooler-master-cpu-cooler-rr212x20pmr1

http://pcpartpicker.com/product/gc8Zxr/phanteks-cpu-cooler-phtc12dxbk

As for keyboards they are harder to recommend as they come down to personal preference especially for mechanicals. I'd suggest to go to a physical store or friends to try some out as the keys feel different

Just now, vberl said:

I live in sweden and currently the i5 6600k is only 11 usd more expensive than the i5 6500.

Prices in Pc part picker can be changed to a near by country the closest for you seems to be the UK or germany

32 minutes ago, astrosheen said:

For the cooler do you have a budget? Also you have a z170 motherboard when you don't need it as you have a non overclocking motherboard. You might consider a h170 motherboard to save some money

25 minutes ago, roylapoutre said:

You don't need a Z170 motherboard as said before, you can save a bit of money that way. And since you don't plan on buying an overclockable CPU, you will not need an expensive cooler. Something like a Pure Rock or Hyper 212 will be just fine, like any sub-50$ cooler.

Corsair mechanical keyboards are incredible when it comes to build quality, but they're not cheap.

You can BCLK overclock this CPU pretty well with a Z170 as I just found out today. He might also want to get a K processor in the future maybe with Kaby Lake. Unless he denies both of those things I would not specifically advise him to not get such a board.

38 minutes ago, vberl said:

You might have a look at Ducky Keyboards and what they cost in your country. Incredible build quality with very basic and minimalistic looks. I love it.

Depending on whether you want to overclock your CPU or maybe upgrade it to something better in the future I'd go with a bigger noctua one. If that is not the case just get a 212 Evo and spend the extra money you get from the cooler (and obviously the money cou can safe on the motherboard too if you don't want to OC/upgrade to a K processor) on the keyboard.

CPU AMD Ryzen 5 5600X | Cooler Noctua NH-D15S | MB Asus ROG Strix B550 A-Gaming | RAM 2 x G.Skill Trident Z Royal silver 16 GB @ 3200 MHz CL14 | GPU Gigabyte GeForce RTX 3070 Vision OC 8G

Case Fractal Design Define C TG | SSD(s) Boot: Samsung 970 EVO 250 GBPrograms: Samsung 970 EVO 1 TBData: Samsung 860 EVO 500 GB | PSU Seasonic Focus GX 750W

Screen(s) Main: ViewSonic VX2758-2KP-mhd, Second: Asus PB277Q, Third: LG Flatron E2240T | Keyboard Ducky One (MX Blues) | Mouse Logitech G Pro Gaming

Sound Card: Asus Xonar D2X PCIe, System: Edifier R1280DB | OS Windows 10, 64 Bit