What lav Mic does Linus use?

Pause122

I was what lavalier mic Linus uses on his wireless thing

1 hour ago, Pause122 said:

I was what lavalier mic Linus uses on his wireless thing

$600-700 Sennheiser EW G3's probably.

Guide: DSLR or Video camera?, Guide: Film/Photo makers' useful resources, Guide: Lenses, a quick primer

Nikon D4, Nikon D800E, Fuji X-E2, Canon G16, Gopro Hero 3+, iPhone 5s. Hasselblad 500C/M, Sony PXW-FS7

ICT Consultant, Photographer, Video producer, Scuba diver and underwater explorer, Nature & humanitarian documentary producer

1 hour ago, ALwin said:

$600-700 Sennheiser EW G3's probably.

well in one of his videos he said "i have this cheap mic that is tiny and I can put it anywhere"

44 minutes ago, Pause122 said:

well in one of his videos he said "i have this cheap mic that is tiny and I can put it anywhere"

Cheap is a relative term to someone's budget.  Many lav mics are cheap, wireless systems are not.

Guide: DSLR or Video camera?, Guide: Film/Photo makers' useful resources, Guide: Lenses, a quick primer

Nikon D4, Nikon D800E, Fuji X-E2, Canon G16, Gopro Hero 3+, iPhone 5s. Hasselblad 500C/M, Sony PXW-FS7

ICT Consultant, Photographer, Video producer, Scuba diver and underwater explorer, Nature & humanitarian documentary producer

The mic is the cheap bit, the bit which costs the money is the box which the mic plugs into and enables him to roam around without being tripped up by a mic cable.

Good wireless audio gear is not cheap.

8 hours ago, cragger89 said:

The mic is the cheap bit, the bit which costs the money is the box which the mic plugs into and enables him to roam around without being tripped up by a mic cable.

Good wireless audio gear is not cheap.

10 hours ago, ALwin said:

Cheap is a relative term to someone's budget.  Many lav mics are cheap, wireless systems are not.

Yea I already have a system but the mic sucks I like the one he has because you never hear the scratching in like the shirt or whatever

7 minutes ago, Pause122 said:

Yea I already have a system but the mic sucks I like the one he has because you never hear the scratching in like the shirt or whatever

@LinusTech could you shed some light on this? We can only really guess, unless you said the model in a WAN Show.

1 hour ago, JoeyDM said:

@LinusTech could you shed some light on this? We can only really guess, unless you said the model in a WAN Show.

yes @LinusTech that would be very helpful.

27 minutes ago, Pause122 said:

Even high end ones will have noise if improperly placed.  Like scratching against the clothes because the person wearing it or the person who put it on placed it in a spot that has lots of movement.

If you are looking for a Sennheiser lav microphone. One of most known ones is the ME 2 lav. Keep in mind that it has the proprietary screw on 3.5mm connector that only works with Sennheiser Products. This is a more common one, and would not surprise me if it's the one that Linus uses. 

i found the mic and @ahw6224 you were right but I saw this white clip thing and have no idea what it is called he uses it instead of the included clip

If someone finds out please post the exact models for each the mic and the wireless setup used.

I imagine it will be expensive, so does anyone have a good recommendation for a decent budget wireless set for DSLR cameras? I have a mic I can use for now, and was using the Zoom before, but I want to connect it straight to the camera. Thanks.

14 minutes ago, MrJDubYou said:

If someone finds out please post the exact models for each the mic and the wireless setup used.

I imagine it will be expensive, so does anyone have a good recommendation for a decent budget wireless set for DSLR cameras? I have a mic I can use for now, and was using the Zoom before, but I want to connect it straight to the camera. Thanks.

Look at RodeLink wireless system, it is primarily designed for DSLR shooters.

As I said, the ones used by LTT are probably Sennheisers.  I own two sets of the EW G3 wireless lavs and the receivers come with both a cable to connect to an XLR input and a 2.5mm TRS input.

1 minute ago, ALwin said:

Look at RodeLink wireless system, it is primarily designed for DSLR shooters.

Anything more budget for just starting out? like maybe <150?

Just now, MrJDubYou said:

Anything more budget for just starting out? like maybe <150?

Are you just looking for one set or to buy two sets with $150 max budget?

Probably these:

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/999981-REG/polsen_cam_2w_g3_2_channel_vhf_camera_mount.html

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/3656-REG/Azden_WLX_PRO_WLX_Pro_Wireless_Lavalier.html

Just keep in mind you are getting what you pay for.  The build quality and design of these are not as robust as the Rode or Sennheisers.

This video below sort of explains what I mean.

4 minutes ago, ALwin said:

Are you just looking for one set or to buy two sets with $150 max budget?

Probably these:

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/999981-REG/polsen_cam_2w_g3_2_channel_vhf_camera_mount.html

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/3656-REG/Azden_WLX_PRO_WLX_Pro_Wireless_Lavalier.html

Just keep in mind you are getting what you pay for.  The build quality and design of these are not as robust as the Rode or Sennheisers.

This video below sort of explains what I mean.

Just one set for now. Thanks I'll look at this. I may just stick with the zoom for now and do it in post. At least I learned that using a mic with 2.4 is better than vhf.

The packs look for sure to be from the Sennheiser EW G3 line which is pretty much the standard budget wireless for live events, I'm sure it's popular in video too.

In one of the older videos Linus mentions using Countryman mic elements, if that hasn't changed I would guarantee they're running either the B3 element or maybe the B6 depending on accessory needs and budget.

hello!

If you are looking a Lav Microphone and you are not going to shoot a full size (whit that i mean, you can hide a cable behind you)
I sincerely recomend not taking a wireless set, it's an overkill, and with my expirience you will do just fine with:

Tram TR-50 (With a XLR adapter included) http://www.bhphotovideo.com/spanish/c/product/258077-REG/Tram_TR50BPS_TR50_Omnidirectional_Lavalier.html

or

Rode Smart Lav http://www.bhphotovideo.com/spanish/c/product/730766-REG/Rode_LAVALIER_Lavalier_Microphone.html

On the Rode model you can buy several types of Micon adapters to Sennheiser, XLR, Jack... and the cable itseltf is replacable, buuuut, the cable picks a lot

of fabric noise (i looked to me like a material issue) and Micon connection looked to me very delicate.

Thanks!