Help needed - out of ideas!

Right i really need some advice as i am out of ideas

Setup is:

ASUS Maximus Hero VIII

Zotac 980 GTX TI Amp Extreme in SLI

Lian Li PC-08 Case

My GFX cards in SLI are not working together - top card is reaching 91 degrees under load - bottom is 60-65 MAX!

They are that big there basically touching - which is whats causing the top card to get so hot as its fans are blocked off

I cannot use the third PCIe slot as its not compatible

Ive tried using a PCIe Riser but theres not enough space for it to allow me to drop the bottom card a little creating a gap for air

Im basically out of ideas

Im not experienced enough for a custom loop nor do i think theres enough space

Im thinking either - change the motherboard to one which would allow me to space the cards out more creating more space for air

Maybe liquid cooling the top card? But im not sure it would fit

Any other ideas are welcomed as im at my wits end with it now

Ive attached a picture so you can see how close they are

Thanks

IMG_3299.JPG

Lack of airflow to the top card as you rightly said in your post.

Does your case have enough room so that you could use a PCI-E Riser Cable(s) to separate them or relocate one of them? (may have to getto it up)

Another option would be to LC them.

Intel I9-9900k (5Ghz) Asus ROG Maximus XI Formula | Corsair Vengeance 16GB DDR4-4133mhz | ASUS ROG Strix 2080Ti | EVGA Supernova G2 1050w 80+Gold | Samsung 950 Pro M.2 (512GB) + (1TB) | Full EK custom water loop |IN-WIN S-Frame (No. 263/500)

Just now, Altecice said:

Lack of airflow to the top card as you rightly said in your post.

Does your case have enough room so that you could use a PCI-E Riser Cable(s) to separate them or relocate one of them? (may have to getto it up)

Another option would be to LC them.

Nope i already tried a PCIe riser, not even close to being able to fit

1 minute ago, Sean- said:

Nope i already tried a PCIe riser, not even close to being able to fit

Hmm.... new case and block them would be an expensive solution. Maybe new case and risers? other than that you are out of luck unless you want to change motherboard.

Intel I9-9900k (5Ghz) Asus ROG Maximus XI Formula | Corsair Vengeance 16GB DDR4-4133mhz | ASUS ROG Strix 2080Ti | EVGA Supernova G2 1050w 80+Gold | Samsung 950 Pro M.2 (512GB) + (1TB) | Full EK custom water loop |IN-WIN S-Frame (No. 263/500)

They're too close, I used a fan in the window to help my Crossfire set up but it never fixed the issue just helped

If anyone asks you never saw me.

4 minutes ago, Altecice said:

Hmm.... new case and block them would be an expensive solution. Maybe new case and risers? other than that you are out of luck unless you want to change motherboard.

I would happily change the mobo, that seems the cheapest option at the moment, just worried if i change it, and get a similar problem, would the Asus Maximus Formula VIII be a better option?

Im not sure if i could use the 1st and 3rd PCIe slots on it, giving me a bigger gap?

4 minutes ago, Sean- said:

I would happily change the mobo, that seems the cheapest option at the moment, just worried if i change it, and get a similar problem, would the Asus Maxmum Formula VIII be a better option?

Im not sure if i could use the 1st and 3rd PCIe slots on it, giving me a bigger gap?

Read the motherboards manual for any replacements that you look at. Some will allow you to use slots 1+3 / 1+4 2 / 2+4 so long as you arent using the inbuilt M.2 slot (As they share the link).

4 minutes ago, Altecice said:

Read the motherboards manual for any replacements that you look at. Some will allow you to use slots 1+3 / 1+4 so long as you arent using the inbuilt M.2 slot (As they share the link).

I dont quite understand if its possible or not, ive got the manual in front of me

(http://dlcdnet.asus.com/pub/ASUS/mb/LGA1151/MAXIMUS_VIII_FORMULA/E11081_MAXIMUS_VIII_FORMULA_UM_WEB.pdf?_ga=1.48053991.1954749741.1468153946)

Its my first build, so i need a little help

Can i use slot 2 and 6?

Its page 1-24 if someone can advise me

Thanks

That cooler likes a full slot between the cards to not overheat. It's go with a custom loop.

If anyone asks you never saw me.

Just now, App4that said:

That cooler likes a full slot between the cards to not overheat. It's go with a custom loop.

Yea i know i need a gap, but i think the cheapest fix is a different mobo which allows me to have more space between the cards, but im not sure which mobo would be suitable

I tested the temps with an inch gap and they were perfect, but its not possible on this mobo

Another option may be changing the cards to 2 different 980's which are smaller?

Can anyone advise?

Slap a kraken g10 and any old cheap 120mm cooler on the top one? Should still be a good buy cheaper then a new motherboard. 

Bleigh!  Ever hear of AC series? 

15 minutes ago, Nup said:

Slap a kraken g10 and any old cheap 120mm cooler on the top one? Should still be a good buy cheaper then a new motherboard. 

That looks like a good idea

All depends if theres the space for it, will look into it.

Thanks

Good but costly idea is to go full watercool. You just need to dissasamble the graphic cards, put some tubes etc... and you won't see that again.

Just now, demonaii said:

Good but costly idea is to go full watercool. You just need to dissasamble the graphic cards, put some tubes etc... and you won't see that again.

After considering everything, im going to return the cards, there only 6 days old, and swap for 2x 1080 (which are only 4cm deep, compared to the 5.2cm deep that Zotac 980 GTX ti AMP EXTREME are)

It'll cost me around £400 more but i wanted the 1080 anyway but ha no patience, but there now in stock ha

Thanks for all the suggestions everyone