Gtx 1070 showing only 4gb of vram

Alexaldin
Go to solution Solved by Alexaldin,

Oh. I... my bad, didn't noticed it xD I'm pretty dumb, maybe I'm a bit too tired today >.> Thank you guys xD

I'm pretty new to this kind of stuff, so I don't know if there is something I have no clue about. Why ASUS GPU TweakII show me only 4365 Mb of Vram instead of 8 Gb?

40deec539ca7587f0d20a1d03aaeba71.png

Looks like it goes up to 8GB but you've only used 4GB so far (the bit on the left shows 8GB). I might be wrong though.

I edit my posts a lot.

I think that's showing you the peak amount of VRAM that has been used while the software has been running. The total amount of memory is on the y-axis, shown as 8191 MB.

Oh. I... my bad, didn't noticed it xD I'm pretty dumb, maybe I'm a bit too tired today >.> Thank you guys xD

You have to raise the limit in the settings to see all 8g.

If anyone asks you never saw me.

Just now, typographie said:

I think that's showing you the peak amount of VRAM that has been used while the software has been running. The total amount of memory is on the y-axis, shown as 8191 MB.

The Y axis shows 8GB but the max is only 4GB and he's only using 1GB.

Intel Xeon E5 1650 v3 @ 3.5GHz 6C:12T / CM212 Evo / Asus X99 Deluxe / 16GB (4x4GB) DDR4 3000 Trident-Z / Samsung 850 Pro 256GB / Intel 335 240GB / WD Red 2 & 3TB / Antec 850w / RTX 2070 / Win10 Pro x64

HP Envy X360 15: Intel Core i5 8250U @ 1.6GHz 4C:8T / 8GB DDR4 / Intel UHD620 + Nvidia GeForce MX150 4GB / Intel 120GB SSD / Win10 Pro x64

HP Envy x360 BP series Intel 8th gen

AMD ThreadRipper 2!

5820K & 6800K 3-way SLI mobo support list

download moar VRam!1!

R9 3900XT | Tomahawk B550 | Ventus OC RTX 3090 | Photon 1050W | 32GB DDR4 | TUF GT501 Case | Vizio 4K 50'' HDR

1 minute ago, NumLock21 said:

I think it's max usage so far not max that can be used. They're not going to pull a Oneplus on us.

I edit my posts a lot.

Just now, NumLock21 said:

"Max" is the peak amount of memory in use while the software has been up. In this case, apparently 4365 MB was the largest amount of VRAM use that the software recorded. Current usage is 1106 MB. The program sees the 8 GB total, but whatever the OP ran during that time only needed 4365 MB.

That's my interpretation anyway. It looks identical to MSI Afterburner's graphs.

1 minute ago, MrDrWho13 said:

I think it's max usage so far not max that can be used. They're not going to pull a Oneplus on us.

You mean they advertise their phone at 4GB but only comes with 3.5GB?!

:0 :P

Just now, typographie said:

"Max" is the peak amount of memory in use while the software has been up. In this case, apparently 4365 MB was the largest amount of VRAM use that the software recorded. Current usage is 1106 MB. The program sees the 8 GB total, but whatever the OP ran during that time only needed 4365 MB.

That's my interpretation anyway. It looks identical to MSI Afterburner's graphs.

Someone has to download the program themselves to test it out. No point for me to run it when my gpu only has 1GB of vram.

Intel Xeon E5 1650 v3 @ 3.5GHz 6C:12T / CM212 Evo / Asus X99 Deluxe / 16GB (4x4GB) DDR4 3000 Trident-Z / Samsung 850 Pro 256GB / Intel 335 240GB / WD Red 2 & 3TB / Antec 850w / RTX 2070 / Win10 Pro x64

HP Envy X360 15: Intel Core i5 8250U @ 1.6GHz 4C:8T / 8GB DDR4 / Intel UHD620 + Nvidia GeForce MX150 4GB / Intel 120GB SSD / Win10 Pro x64

HP Envy x360 BP series Intel 8th gen

AMD ThreadRipper 2!

5820K & 6800K 3-way SLI mobo support list

17 minutes ago, NumLock21 said:

You mean they advertise their phone at 4GB but only comes with 3.5GB?!

:0 :P

I was more talking about having lots of RAM but not even using half. Yours works too but that was the GTX 970 ;) 

I edit my posts a lot.

1 hour ago, NumLock21 said:

Someone has to download the program themselves to test it out. No point for me to run it when my gpu only has 1GB of vram.

Alright, you asked for it. :P

The following image dump was done using a GTX 770 4 GB. The rest of my system specs are in my profile. I closed and re-opened the app to reset the data after each test.

1. A baseline, just sitting at the Windows desktop. Max is 181 MB.
    Y7PsNpA.png

2. Guild Wars 2. Extremely low VRAM usage. I loaded into one of the more complicated expansion maps, Tangled Depths, and ran around until it looked like it was as high as it was going to get. Maxed at 931 MB, but usually more like 600-800 MB.
    90b3miR.png

3. The Witcher 3. Moderate VRAM usage. I loaded into Beauclair and looked around a bit, but it was clearly capping hard around 1900 MB and didn't want to budge. This is a game that knows what it wants.
    kFhOEgv.png

4. Rise of the Tomb Raider, irrationally high VRAM usage with Very High textures enabled (which cases noticeable stuttering and terrain pop-in on my system). I ran the in-game benchmark and then quit the game right after. I think it would've landed somewhere in the 6 GB range if I'd had that much.
    P3eWGpG.png

So the moral of the story is that the OP sees "Max: 4365" because that's the peak amount that was needed while running whatever application they ran. They just need a more demanding game to see > 4 GB in use.