PS4 possibly backwards compatible

progamer94
Go to solution Solved by Le Reaper,

My Pc is backward compatable. :P

http://blogs.battlefield.com/2013/09/upgrade-to-nextgen/#comments

If I upgrade to PlayStation 4, what happens with my physical PlayStation 3 disk?
You must have the PlayStation 3 Battlefield 4 disk in your PlayStation 4 in order to play BF4 on PS4.

I found this page when I was searching for games to buy for next gen consoles and was surprised to find this response in the FAQ section of the battlefield website. Link above.

you bought it on the ps3 you can buy it on the ps4 for 10 bucks

+1

yep

If your grave doesn't say "rest in peace" on it You are automatically drafted into the skeleton war.

I know that, but that's not what where talking about, the reason I started this topic is because according to the post in the link you still need to keep and use your ps3 copy of battlefield 4 to put in your ps4, even after you download the digital copy with the upgrade code.

I hope so because I'll pick up a ps4 and play a bunch of ps3 exclusives plus some of the ps4 ones that I wanna play - if Gakai doesn't come to pc that is.

Console optimisations and how they will effect you | The difference between AMD cores and Intel cores | Memory Bus size and how it effects your VRAM usage |
How much vram do you actually need? | APUs and the future of processing | Projects: SO - here

Intel i7 5820l @ with Corsair H110 | 32GB DDR4 RAM @ 1600Mhz | XFX Radeon R9 290 @ 1.2Ghz | Corsair 600Q | Corsair TX650 | Probably too much corsair but meh should have had a Corsair SSD and RAM | 1.3TB HDD Space | Sennheiser HD598 | Beyerdynamic Custom One Pro | Blue Snowball

I know that, but that's not what where talking about, the reason I started this topic is because according to the post in the link you still need to keep and use your ps3 copy of battlefield 4 to put in your ps4, even after you download the digital copy with the upgrade code.

yeah its so u cant keep using the same ps3 disk for friends and just buy bf4 for 10$

If your grave doesn't say "rest in peace" on it You are automatically drafted into the skeleton war.

This would be great ! But only if it does not have any hidden "CLAUSES"

FX 6300 @ 4.2 Gigahurtz 1.325V ,  ASRock 970 Extreme 4 mobo  ,  Kingston Hyperx Blu 2X4GB @1600Mhz  , Asus GTX 960 DCU ii Black OC  , Hyper 212 Evo , Samsung 850 Evo 250 GB , WD 1 TB caviar Green , Xonar DG sound card , Seasonic M12ii Evo 620W PSU , Corsair 200R case ,4 random case fans.

yeah its so u cant keep using the same ps3 disk for friends and just buy bf4 for 10$

yes I understood that but I was wondering if they can do that, how hard would it be to make it backwards compatible?

yes I understood that but I was wondering if they can do that, how hard would it be to make it backwards compatible?

It's not that hard to do what they're doing. Implementating emulation and offering a PS4 game cheaper are two different things.

"It pays to keep an open mind, but not so open your brain falls out." - Carl Sagan.

"I can explain it to you, but I can't understand it for you" - Edward I. Koch

It's not that hard to do what they're doing. Implementating emulation and offering a PS4 game cheaper are two different things.

but there not just making the game cheaper, they made so you have to use a previous gen game disc to play it so therefor the disc must be being read by the console one way or another.

but there not just making the game cheaper, they made so you have to use a previous gen game disc to play it so therefor the disc must be being read by the console one way or another.

I believe all it is doing is verifying the presence of the disc, not reading any data off of it. Emulation of PS3 to PS4 would take a HUGE performance hit because of the wildly different technology

OR  they would need to integrate the PS3 hardware into the PS4, which would be too expensive (And they have confirmed already that this will not happen).

The disc being present is not necessary at all on a technical level, they just want to have some sort of method to curb piracy and disc sharing.

For Sale: Meraki Bundle

iPhone Xr 128 GB Product Red - HP Spectre x360 13" (i5 - 8 GB RAM - 256 GB SSD) - HP ZBook 15v G5 15" (i7-8850H - 16 GB RAM - 512 GB SSD - NVIDIA Quadro P600)

Actually, no. When you buy a game that's part of this program, there's a code that's in the case that you input into your PS4. This makes the game only $10 for the PS4. It has nothing to do with the disc.

"It pays to keep an open mind, but not so open your brain falls out." - Carl Sagan.

"I can explain it to you, but I can't understand it for you" - Edward I. Koch

Get the game on PC : )

Intel I7 2600k @ 4.5ghz, Asetek 510 LC Xtremegear liquid cooling system, PALIT GTX 780 Super Jetstream OC, 8Gb Kingston Hyper X blu series 1600mhz, 64Gb Crucial M4 series SATA III Gaming MLC SSD, 1TB Western Digital HDD 6.0gb/s,  Asus P8z68-v Pro Motherboard, Corsair Vengance K90 Keyboard,950Watt Cyberpower PSU, Cyborg RAT 5 ,  Coolermaster CM 690II case, Dell Ultrasharp U2412M 1920 x 1200

Actually, no. When you buy a game that's part of this program, there's a code that's in the case that you input into your PS4. This makes the game only $10 for the PS4. It has nothing to do with the disc.

if you read my previous posts it does have something to do with the disc cause it needs to be in your ps4 in order to play it, even if I was wrong about it reading any data off of the disc.And yes I know when you use the code you download a digital copy of the game to your ps4, but you still need the disc.

if you read my previous posts it does have something to do with the disc cause it needs to be in your ps4 in order to play it, even if I was wrong about it reading any data off of the disc.And yes I know when you use the code you download a digital copy of the game to your ps4, but you still need the disc.

This doesnt neccesarily mean that the ps4 is bacwards compatible, it could mean that the bf4 disc is forward compatible maybe?

Intel I7 2600k @ 4.5ghz, Asetek 510 LC Xtremegear liquid cooling system, PALIT GTX 780 Super Jetstream OC, 8Gb Kingston Hyper X blu series 1600mhz, 64Gb Crucial M4 series SATA III Gaming MLC SSD, 1TB Western Digital HDD 6.0gb/s,  Asus P8z68-v Pro Motherboard, Corsair Vengance K90 Keyboard,950Watt Cyberpower PSU, Cyborg RAT 5 ,  Coolermaster CM 690II case, Dell Ultrasharp U2412M 1920 x 1200

we had this topic before

its almost impossible  with current hardware

not to mention emulation is HELL a lot of work to deal with

ps2 emulators are still hard to run on current hardware at 1080p

earlier ps3 has a ps2 chip embedded

The only kind of backwards compatibility that has been confirmed by both Sony and Microsoft is via a streaming service (like Sony's Gaikai services). 

COMIC SANS

Hmmm, I don't want to say something that's against the rules, so I won't. But seriously, c'mon, why would you think that the PS4 may be backwards compatible just becuse of a f'in typo, when Sony themselves has officially said that the PS4 isn't backwards compatible? -_-

I personally don't enjoy 9-string guitars, but that doesn't change the fact that they look awesome as hell!

My Pc is backward compatable. :P

AMD FX-8320 @ 4.3 ghz | Corsair H60 (Push/Pull)|  8GB Kingston Hyper X DDR3 1.6 ghz | Sapphire HD 7870 Oc'd | Biostar TA970 MOBO OCZ 750w  PSU | 2TB HDD + 120gb Kingston V300 SSD| Coolermaster CM Storm Enforcer Case | SoundBlaster Audigy SE  Windows 7                                                                                      "I am a leaf on the wind, watch me..."   "You know nothing Jon Snauhh" "Take the risk of thinking for yourself, much more happiness, truth, beauty, and wisdom will come to you that way."

/Steam Profile/Folding@home stats/TekSyndicate Fourms/  \m/  RIP David Gold (1980-2011) \m/ RIP Peter Steele (1962-2010) \m/ RIP Chuck Schuldiner (1967-2001) \m/ RIP Dio (1942-2010) \m/ RIP Cliff Burton (1962-1986) \m/ RIP Dime (1966-2004)