AMD FX-6350 w/ GTX 970 or 960?

So currently i have a 650ti loool. I want to upgrade, but I'm not sure which is better or are none of them any good? 

2 minutes ago, Paul N said:

So currently i have a 650ti loool. I want to upgrade, but I'm not sure which is better or are none of them any good? 

None...you first need to upgrade your CPU and then you can look at a GPU

I'm a educated fool with money on my mind.

They say i got to learn but nobody here to teach me,if they can't understand it how can they reach me

Power and the money,money and the power,minute after minute,hour after hour

My Motivation

3 minutes ago, Dresta said:

None...you first need to upgrade your CPU and then you can look at a GPU

Ahhhh crap. What CPU and GPU do u recommend? I want something where I can run mostly very high settings. I think everything else in my system is fine. 

I think if you were to stick with that CPU, then it could handle a 960, and even a 970 in some favorable situations.  Some cpu heavy games are going to throttle it regardless, but it'll be fairly balanced with a 960.

And of course, don't overpay for a 960.  You should able to get one for under $150 used in this GPU 'economy'.

9 minutes ago, Paul N said:

Ahhhh crap. What CPU and GPU do u recommend? I want something where I can run mostly very high settings. I think everything else in my system is fine. 

Again, with the FX it's going to depend on the game.  I don't think it would be worth it to upgrade on your current platform to another AMD chip, because it won't improve your IPC all that much.  If you really want to upgrade you'll have to jump to an intel skylake i5 at least, or wait for AMD's next platform coming later this year (Zen).  That combined with a gtx 1060/rx 480 or better will max out most 1080p games.

11 minutes ago, Paul N said:

i recommend a i5 6500 the cheapest board and a GTX 1060 if it performs something in between a 970 and 980 if not that a 390 would be better value than a 970

I'm a educated fool with money on my mind.

They say i got to learn but nobody here to teach me,if they can't understand it how can they reach me

Power and the money,money and the power,minute after minute,hour after hour

My Motivation

33 minutes ago, ONOTech said:

Yes, your 6350 will bottleneck, but get the best GPU you can afford, which is the 970, and here's why:

Although the difference between the 960 & 970 won't be drastic with a 6350, when you upgrade your CPU, you won't have to worry about upgrading your graphics card. If you get a 960 now & plan on picking up an i5 down the line, you're only hurting yourself.

Bottlenecks stink, but they won't damage your system. You can always upgrade.

As for the CPU, get the cheapest i5 you can afford. Preferably Skylake if you can, but if not, pretty much any i5 made within the last 5 years will be an upgrade from the 6350.

So, basically you're saying either 

A. Just get the 970 and keep the 6350

B.  get a 960 and i5 rn I will basically be fine?

C. what do u mean by  "If you get a 960 now & plan on picking up an i5 down the line, you're only hurting yourself". You mean If I wait too long to get the CPU? 

Why buy a Maxwell GPU at all? Any of the new AMD offerings will be price competitive and dumpster it

2 minutes ago, Brian McKee said:

Why buy a Maxwell GPU at all? Any of the new AMD offerings will be price competitive and dumpster it

idk what ya mean i'm basically a noob at this stuff. 

2 minutes ago, Paul N said:

idk what ya mean i'm basically a noob at this stuff. 

Don't get a 9xx GTX card is all. The high end is beaten out by the 1070 and 1080 and the low/mid end is currently beaten out by the RX 470 and 480. An RX 480 right now beats the living snot out of a 960 and will match a 970 in DX11 titles (while crushing it in vulcan/dx12). You could also wait for the benchmarks on the 1060 so I'd say wait for now and evaluate your choices.