Ethernet switch or new router?

Mr.Lonewalker
7 minutes ago, legacy99 said:

Yea, if it has antennas it likely has wifi built into it. Without knowing the exact model you have I couldnt tell you for sure. You should be able to go to 192.168.100.1 to login to your modem to view info on it. 

I can't tell you for sure which one it is, but here's a link to a pdf (Bare in mind of it being in danish) of the one that looks exactly like it, and is also used by the same company who supplied me the modem which might not be a modem depending on of a "Fiber Box" is a modem. https://trefor.dk/~/media/Files/Bredbaand Privat/Vejledninger/icotera_fiberboks.pdf

And in around 30 minutes i will be able to contact my modem suppliers and find out exactly which model i have, or they should be able to tell me.

Wait no shit, it's sunday.

11 minutes ago, legacy99 said:

Yea, if it has antennas it likely has wifi built into it. Without knowing the exact model you have I couldnt tell you for sure. You should be able to go to 192.168.100.1 to login to your modem to view info on it. 

I'm currently connection to the router, and are not able to go and login to the modem.

5 minutes ago, Mr.Lonewalker said:

I can't tell you for sure which one it is, but here's a link to a pdf (Bare in mind of it being in danish) of the one that looks exactly like it, and is also used by the same company who supplied me the modem which might not be a modem depending on of a "Fiber Box" is a modem. https://trefor.dk/~/media/Files/Bredbaand Privat/Vejledninger/icotera_fiberboks.pdf

And in around 30 minutes i will be able to contact my modem suppliers and find out exactly which model i have, or they should be able to tell me.

Wait no shit, it's sunday.

Looking at page 4 of that, Are you talking about item #1 on there? That according to my google translate is a TV coaxial connection. 

When I translate : 

Kom godt i gang med Icotera fiberboks med indbygget router

It translates to: Getting started with
Icotera fiber box
with built-in router

So your modem does have a built in router so you would be able to use a dummy switch connected to it since you should be getting DHCP and NAT capabilities from it since it has a router, or layer 3 device built into it. 

Community Standards | Fan Control Software

Please make sure to Quote me or @ me to see your reply!

Just because I am a Moderator does not mean I am always right. Please fact check me and verify my answer. 

"Black Out"

Ryzen 9 5900x | Full Custom Water Loop | Asus Crosshair VIII Hero (Wi-Fi) | RTX 3090 Founders | Ballistix 32gb 16-18-18-36 3600mhz 

1tb Samsung 970 Evo | 2x 2tb Crucial MX500 SSD | Fractal Design Meshify S2 | Corsair HX1200 PSU

Dedicated Streaming Rig

Ryzen 7 3700x | Asus B450-F Strix | 16gb Gskill Flare X 3200mhz | Corsair RM550x PSU | Asus Strix GTX1070 | 250gb 860 Evo m.2

Phanteks P300A |  Elgato HD60 Pro | Avermedia Live Gamer Duo | Avermedia 4k GC573 Capture Card

2 minutes ago, legacy99 said:

Looking at page 4 of that, Are you talking about item #1 on there? That according to my google translate is a TV coaxial connection. 

When I translate : 

Kom godt i gang med Icotera fiberboks med indbygget router

It translates to: Getting started with
Icotera fiber box
with built-in router

So your modem does have a built in router so you would be able to use a dummy switch connected to it since you should be getting DHCP and NAT capabilities from it since it has a router, or layer 3 device built into it. 

Ok, your google translate is correct, and that is good to know that it has a router build in, though i will test if it actually has one build in and is usable later today.

Just to inform you, i live here with my mother and I'm 15 years old, and she doesn't exactly like it when i fiddle with the internet. As an example when i directly connects my PC to the modem. But her morning alarm just rang so she should be waking up very soon.

3 minutes ago, Mr.Lonewalker said:

Ok, your google translate is correct, and that is good to know that it has a router build in, though i will test if it actually has one build in and is usable later today.

Just to inform you, i live here with my mother and I'm 15 years old, and she doesn't exactly like it when i fiddle with the internet. As an example when i directly connects my PC to the modem. But her morning alarm just rang so she should be waking up very soon.

haha, its fun to be young... I wish I was young again :( 

Just because I am a Moderator does not mean I am always right. Please fact check me and verify my answer. 

"Black Out"

Ryzen 9 5900x | Full Custom Water Loop | Asus Crosshair VIII Hero (Wi-Fi) | RTX 3090 Founders | Ballistix 32gb 16-18-18-36 3600mhz 

1tb Samsung 970 Evo | 2x 2tb Crucial MX500 SSD | Fractal Design Meshify S2 | Corsair HX1200 PSU

Dedicated Streaming Rig

Ryzen 7 3700x | Asus B450-F Strix | 16gb Gskill Flare X 3200mhz | Corsair RM550x PSU | Asus Strix GTX1070 | 250gb 860 Evo m.2

Phanteks P300A |  Elgato HD60 Pro | Avermedia Live Gamer Duo | Avermedia 4k GC573 Capture Card

1 minute ago, legacy99 said:

It is fun to be young, in some ways at least. But that doesn't matter for me, i got a job a little more than a year ago, and i want to spend a big part of my free time learning thing i might or might not be able to use in the future, and get a lot of common knowledge before i wander into the big world my self. And i want to spend my time getting ready in my head and to know everything i possibly can while i have the time i have.

But yeah, begin young is great, though I'm not a social guy, so i have fun other ways, and i don't go out and get wasted with friend ;)

28 minutes ago, legacy99 said:

Do you know if you are connected to your router that is connected to your modem, should you still be able to login to your modem?

2 minutes ago, Mr.Lonewalker said:

Do you know if you are connected to your router that is connected to your modem, should you still be able to login to your modem?

You should be able to. All your traffic has to pass through the modem and that IP address I gave you, atleast on the normal Coaxial side is the IP you use to check your signal levels and other information regarding your modem and logs. 

"Black Out"

Dedicated Streaming Rig

2 minutes ago, legacy99 said:

You should be able to. All your traffic has to pass through the modem and that IP address I gave you, atleast on the normal Coaxial side is the IP you use to check your signal levels and other information regarding your modem and logs. 

Hmm, then i begin to think there might not be DHCP build it, though i can't figure out a reason for it to have antennas.

5 minutes ago, Mr.Lonewalker said:

Hmm, then i begin to think there might not be DHCP build it, though i can't figure out a reason for it to have antennas.

Well just because you cant get to it from that IP doesnt mean its not like that. Your ISP could have it disabled and charge to enable it. 

"Black Out"

Dedicated Streaming Rig

Well just because you cant get to it from that IP doesnt mean its not like that. Your ISP could have it disabled and charge to enable it. 

If they charge to enable it, if i got permission from my mother i would try everything that i possibly can do to find a solution to that problem, shouldn't be to hard. Little research first to see if they allow 3rd party modems to be connected, after that a little fiddleling with the modem should make it work, though i will never get that permission.

3 minutes ago, Mr.Lonewalker said:

If they charge to enable it, if i got permission from my mother i would try everything that i possibly can do to find a solution to that problem, shouldn't be to hard. Little research first to see if they allow 3rd party modems to be connected, after that a little fiddleling with the modem should make it work, though i will never get that permission.

lol, yes make sure your got your Mom's permission... dont want to upset the hand that feeds you.

"Black Out"

Dedicated Streaming Rig

lol, yes make sure your got your Mom's permission... dont want to upset the hand that feeds you.

Both that, and also if i change anything then it could ruin her job. She works from home and her job pays for the internet and is setup (from my knowledge) for mainly that purpose, and if i change to much either the internet might be taken away because of me doing something that is not allowed, or something else. So yeah, don't want to change to much of stuff i don't completely understand.

32 minutes ago, legacy99 said:

Good, just talked with my ups dealers if you call them that, but they said it should work. They also said that the modem i have does have a router build in, and that you can go onto their website and login and find your options of the things your internet provider can change, like i will need to change to modem to a static IP address, and that i can do that in there. And i can disable and enable the router functionality in there too, and that function is more than likely disabled right now. So I'm going to purchase the switch, and it should work. Well i would have bough one anyway, just so i have it. Never know when you might need an 5-8 port network switch.

I currently have 5 devices that can use Ethernet, and i have a 30meter Ethernet cable going over from the router to my room... And then it would be nice if i could buy a switch and use it in my room to share the one 30 meter cable to all of my devices ;) And it's easier to setup a local storage server just for myself.

Btw, thanks for the help and chat ;)

Edited by Mr.Lonewalker

13 minutes ago, Mr.Lonewalker said:

Good, just talked with my ups dealers if you call them that, but they said it should work. They also said that the modem i have does have a router build in, and that you can go onto their website and login and find your options of the things your internet provider can change, like i will need to change to modem to a static IP address, and that i can do that in there. And i can disable and enable the router functionality in there too, and that function is more than likely disabled right now. So I'm going to purchase the switch, and it should work. Well i would have bough one anyway, just so i have it. Never know when you might need an 5-8 port network switch.

I currently have 5 devices that can use Ethernet, and i have a 30meter Ethernet cable going over from the router to my room... And then it would be nice if i could buy a switch and use it in my room to share the one 30 meter cable to all of my devices ;) And it's easier to setup a local storage server just for myself.

Btw, thanks for the help and chat ;)

Excellent. Make sure that since your Mom works from home that if she has a VPN or anything like that setup you could interfere with that. Make sure its good with her and how its setup for her and work. 

"Black Out"

Dedicated Streaming Rig

Excellent. Make sure that since your Mom works from home that if she has a VPN or anything like that setup you could interfere with that. Make sure its good with her and how its setup for her and work. 

I will be sure to, she doesn't use things like vpn, the company she works for is not advanced enough to do that ;) Just kidding, but they aren't using vpn. But i will still ask her if she has any special network settings in place. But thanks.