The NSA Has 'Social Network' Maps That Can Index Everyone You Know

fletch to 99
original.jpg

The New York Times is reporting that the NSA is using all the data it’s collecting on US citizens to make giant “social networks” of everyone their targets know.

At this point it is no secret that the NSA has been slurping up as much data as it can, but this is new information on exactly how it all fits together into a horrifying surveillance state, courtesy of our good friend Edward Snowden. From the New York Times:

Since 2010, the National Security Agency has been exploiting its huge collections of data to create sophisticated graphs of some Americans’ social connections that can identify their associates, their locations at certain times, their travelling companions and other personal information, according to newly disclosed documents and interviews with officials.

According to documents seen by the Times, the data for these graphs comes from bank codes, insurance information, Facebook profiles, passenger manifests, voter registration rolls, GPS location information, property records and unspecified tax data, and more. And, as a bonus, there seem to be no restrictions on the use of any of this data to create these so-called social networks on US citizens. Delightful.

Of course, the fact that the NSA has been doing this for foreign individuals should come as no surprise, but it’s the seemingly unhindered extension to US citizens that’s particularly problematic. The NSA (naturally) declined to comment to the New York Times on how many US citizens were being mapped, or what databases are being used to get this data. But the documents indicate that at least part of the collection process is tapping directly into fibre optic cables coursing with raw internet.

Source: http://www.gizmodo.com.au/2013/09/the-nsa-makes-giant-social-network-graphs-to-track-everyone-you-know/

My thoughts: Seems like the book 1984 was pretty accurate about the future.

There are 10 types of people in this world, those who can read binary and those who can't.

There are 10 types of people in this world, those who can read hexadecimal and F the rest.

~Fletch

Wont the NSA be taking a hit because of the US Government shutdown?

Main Rig: -FX8150 -32gb Kingston HyperX BLUE -120gb Kingston HyperX SSD -1TB WD Black -ASUS R9 270 DCUII OC -Corsair 300r -Full specs on Profile

Other Devices: -One Plus One 64gb Sandstone Black -Canon T5 -Moto G -Pebble Smartwatch -Nintendo 2DS -G27 Racing Wheel

#PlugYourStuff - 720penis - 1080penis - #KilledMyWife - #LinusButtPlug - #HashtagsAreALifestyle - CAR BOUGHT: 2010 Corolla

Wont the NSA be taking a hit because of the US Government shutdown?

The NSA skirts around all government action and regulation, so probably not.

At this point, the NSA is basically a separate entity from the United States, and just does whatever it wants. 

Follow me on Twitter!

Technology Journalist at TechnologyTell, NextPowerUp, and others. 

twitter and fb already know everyone i know and suggest them as friends even if i've only spoke about that person in person.

Don't see why the NSA can't do the same thing.

Intel 4670K /w TT water 2.0 performer, GTX 1070FE, Gigabyte Z87X-DH3, Corsair HX750, 16GB Mushkin 1333mhz, Fractal R4 Windowed, Varmilo mint TKL, Logitech m310, HP Pavilion 23bw, Logitech 2.1 Speakers

I only communicate with about 5 of my 10-20 real life friends over the internet or other networks like texting so joke's on you NSA...

Meanwhile many people are in search for a job, need medical assistance and are being ripped off with the laughable 7.25usd an hr minimum wage while these government jerkoffs play James Bond. Sickening waste of tax payer money.