New Card, 10 years in the making.

Feeterican

Ok <---cause that's how I start off a conversation. Now I'm looking into getting a new sound card and I know what to get. Only thing is, and it's a dumb one, I go through video card more than I go through shoe's, and I was wondering if changing out a sound card is the same as a vid card. I'm running win 7 and should I go into the device manager and uninstall the old drivers or just pop the card in and install new drivers? I always just pop in a vid card and install drivers I don't uninstall anything is it the same way?

Proc: Intel Core i9 9900K 5GHz OC MoBo: ASUS Maximus XI Formula Z390 Ram: Corsair Dominator Platinum 3200MHz 32GB  Vidcard: ASUS RTX 2080 ROG STRIX OC Sound: Creative Sound Blaster AE-5 SSD: Samsung 970 EVO 240GB  HDD: 4X WD Black 2TB PSU: Corsair HX 850i Case: Corsiar 760T Black Monitor: ASUS PG278QE 165Hz 1ms  Peripheral: Razer Huntsman Elite - Deathadder V2 - Sabertooth Controller

I suggest reading the FAQ before buying a sound card.

As to your original question, you're going to have a fun time with drivers, it's worse than video cards, but yes, just uninstall the drivers, take it out, and put a new one in.

I purchased an Xonar DG, and boy was it a nightmare.

Have fun, what sound cad are you getting?

Main PC: https://ca.pcpartpicker.com/list/FNsFVY

Secondary PC: https://ca.pcpartpicker.com/list/7sv7xY

Former Intel Response Squad Member, May Class.

Member of the LTT Forums since January 3rd, 2013.

I took out my Sound Blaster XF-i Titanium to move it to a different slot, I didn't think it would cause any issues since I was putting the same exact card back in just in a different slot but noooooooooooo when I booted back up the software(Creative Audio control panel etc..) that came bundled with my sound card said "Your soundcard is not compatible with this software" I was like

rage.gif

but then I reinstalled and my computer was like

happycomputer.gif

and then I was like

happy_man.gif

The end

-The Bellerophon- Obsidian 550D-i5-3570k@4.5Ghz -Asus Sabertooth Z77-16GB Corsair Dominator Platinum 1866Mhz-x2 EVGA GTX 760 Dual FTW 4GB-Creative Sound Blaster XF-i Titanium-OCZ Vertex Plus 120GB-Seagate Barracuda 2TB- https://linustechtips.com/main/topic/60154-the-not-really-a-build-log-build-log/ Twofold http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/121043-twofold-a-dual-itx-system/ How great is EVGA? http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/110662-evga-how-great-are-they/#entry1478299

I took out my Sound Blaster XF-i Titanium to move it to a different slot, I didn't think it would cause any issues since I was putting the same exact card back in just in a different slot but noooooooooooo when I booted back up the software(Creative Audio control panel etc..) that came bundled with my sound card said "Your soundcard is not compatible with this software" I was like

rage.gif

but then I reinstalled and my computer was like

happycomputer.gif

and then I was like

happy_man.gif

The end

cool story bro

Well I have 2 PC's, and I was going to take out this Audigy 2z from my old PC, replace it with the one that's in my Gaming PC witch is a XF-I fatality. I'm sold on the Sound Blaster Z gaming card. I like the microphone and I saw a vid on youtube and it worked well. I don't like using headphones I mean I hate using headphones, I have to wear them at work for 8+ hours a day and when I get home it's the last thing I want to do is toss something on my head. Also I will finally not have to use my headset Mic (around my neck) anymore and switch modes on my sound card to ware if I'm going to game or watch a movie. I've always used Creative and really like them, I know I could go with an asus but the only one I would want from them is the Phobos (I think that's what it's called) or the Essence I don't want to spen 200 on it.

Proc: Intel Core i9 9900K 5GHz OC MoBo: ASUS Maximus XI Formula Z390 Ram: Corsair Dominator Platinum 3200MHz 32GB  Vidcard: ASUS RTX 2080 ROG STRIX OC Sound: Creative Sound Blaster AE-5 SSD: Samsung 970 EVO 240GB  HDD: 4X WD Black 2TB PSU: Corsair HX 850i Case: Corsiar 760T Black Monitor: ASUS PG278QE 165Hz 1ms  Peripheral: Razer Huntsman Elite - Deathadder V2 - Sabertooth Controller

I purchased an Xonar DG, and boy was it a nightmare.

Have fun, what sound cad are you getting?

Asus's thoughts are probably: "gg no re lol"

Enjoy those tacos now, for in 1000 years they will be illegal... eh Ha Ha Ha! I think we all know why.

༼ つ ◕_◕ ༽つ Give tacos ༼ つ ◕_◕ ༽つ Poker 2 KB Review

Well I have 2 PC's, and I was going to take out this Audigy 2z from my old PC, replace it with the one that's in my Gaming PC witch is a XF-I fatality. I'm sold on the Sound Blaster Z gaming card. I like the microphone and I saw a vid on youtube and it worked well. I don't like using headphones I mean I hate using headphones, I have to wear them at work for 8+ hours a day and when I get home it's the last thing I want to do is toss something on my head. Also I will finally not have to use my headset Mic (around my neck) anymore and switch modes on my sound card to ware if I'm going to game or watch a movie. I've always used Creative and really like them, I know I could go with an asus but the only one I would want from them is the Phobos (I think that's what it's called) or the Essence I don't want to spen 200 on it.

Again, I highly suggest you read the FAQ at the top of the audio forum.

You don't need a sound card for what you are doing, and if you don't plan on using headphones, they're pretty much a waste.

Again, I highly suggest you read the FAQ at the top of the audio forum.

You don't need a sound card for what you are doing, and if you don't plan on using headphones, they're pretty much a waste.

Where are you coming from?

Since I was 10 years old I've been a sound/stereo nut, hell when I was 16 I built my own speaker cabinets in shop class and when I built them, I put in a divider panel in the cabinet so the woofer would have 2cub/ft . This card has a better SNR "I can hear the difference", it has the beamforming mic. no more being attached to my PC by a cord. I play video games, I watch 3D Blu-Ray and I also have bose 2.1 speakers for my PC, I also mix down music for my old band (since I'm the only one that has the ear to do it out of the band members).

So why would I not need a sound card?

Oh yeah, I forgot to mention. my old X-FI won't go on the new MoBo I want to upgrade to in November/December, PCI doesn't fit into PCI-e.

P.S. My ears detect things most people would just ignore.

I'm coming from an electrical engineering background in which I know how audio actually works.

You buy whatever you want, I don't really care. I'm just offering some advice before you waste your money.

Good luck.

Since I was 10 years old I've been a sound/stereo nut, hell when I was 16 I built my own speaker cabinets in shop class and when I built them, I put in a divider panel in the cabinet so the woofer would have 2cub/ft . This card has a better SNR "I can hear the difference", it has the beamforming mic. no more being attached to my PC by a cord. I play video games, I watch 3D Blu-Ray and I also have bose 2.1 speakers for my PC, I also mix down music for my old band (since I'm the only one that has the ear to do it out of the band members).

Oh yeah, I forgot to mention. my old X-FI won't go on the new MoBo I want to upgrade to in November/December, PCI doesn't fit into PCI-e.

My eyes detect things most people would just ignore.

I'm coming from an electrical engineering background in which I know how audio actually works.

You buy whatever you want, I don't really care. I'm just offering some advice before you waste your money.

Good luck.

rofl.

Enjoy those tacos now, for in 1000 years they will be illegal... eh Ha Ha Ha! I think we all know why.

If you're so experienced, why don't you get a good external device that'll last you longer than a soundcard?

Good luck.

I agree with Mayflower here - most modern on board sound solutions are as good or better the anything Creative has put out in the last little while. They are known for using pretty cheap components. I haven't checked out their newest line though, so hopefully that has changed.

For an add-on sound card to really make a difference, you need I high end one, swappable op amps and a optical output to a receiver. Then you can get some good quality solutions. Again, if using headphones and you need something to drive them and provide positional sound and sound, then an external card also comes in handy...

But, talking about SB here as I have had a lot of their products, most are a real pain to get working. I have had them just suddenly disappear from the device manager, have to re-seat, re-install all drivers, etc. A major pain. Not sure how Asus cards and their drivers compare. But yes, as per your original question, remove old card - reboot. Remove all the drivers. Reboot. Install new card, reboot and install latest drivers. Cross fingers. :)

Forum Links - Community Standards, Privacy Policy, FAQ, Features Suggestions, Bug and Issues.

Folding/Boinc Info - Check out the Folding and Boinc Section, read the Folding Install thread and the Folding FAQ. Info on Boinc is here. Don't forget to join team 223518. Check out other users Folding Rigs for ideas. Don't forget to follow the @LTTCompute for updates and other random posts about the various teams.

Follow me on Twitter for updates @Whaler_99

If you're so experienced, why don't you get a good external device that'll last you longer than a soundcard?

That's a good one, I needed a good laugh :)

I agree with Mayflower here - most modern on board sound solutions are as good or better the anything Creative has put out in the last little while. They are known for using pretty cheap components. I haven't checked out their newest line though, so hopefully that has changed.

For an add-on sound card to really make a difference, you need I high end one, swappable op amps and a optical output to a receiver. Then you can get some good quality solutions. Again, if using headphones and you need something to drive them and provide positional sound and sound, then an external card also comes in handy...

But, talking about SB here as I have had a lot of their products, most are a real pain to get working. I have had them just suddenly disappear from the device manager, have to re-seat, re-install all drivers, etc. A major pain. Not sure how Asus cards and their drivers compare. But yes, as per your original question, remove old card - reboot. Remove all the drivers. Reboot. Install new card, reboot and install latest drivers. Cross fingers. :)

http://us.creative.com/p/sound-blaster/sound-blaster-z

This card does have op out and in. I'm also using Bose Speakers. There not the loudest but they sound great for their size.

as for the problems, I never had a driver or software problem and I have been using sound blaster for 10 years now.

Good luck.

By chance, being an electronic engineer, do you believe that a good quality cable has the same sound performance as one you would buy from the bargain bin at Walmart  and/or it really doesn't matter what gauge you use when 100w are running through the cable?

just wondering.

That's a good one, I needed a good laugh :)

Glad to hear it. We are never serious here and all we do is joke around. Mission accomplished guys.

By chance, being an electronic engineer, do you believe that a good quality cable has the same sound performance as one you would buy from the bargain bin at Walmart  and/or it really doesn't matter what gauge you use when 100w are running through the cable?

just wondering.

This might be subjective based on the price. A prime example is monster cables. They seem to be at a high price and at most they just offer anti-virus protection over HDMI but I never noticed a sound/picture quality difference for the price.

/thread

Mission accomplished guys. Lets move on to the next generic topic.

Look, this has gotten why off topic, all I wanted to know was do I need to uninstall the drivers. thats all. funny how things get so blown out of proportion. 

I just got a little out of control when mayflower said I was wasting my money and to be honest I have a gift card for microcenter and I wont be wasting any money.

Look, this has gotten why off topic, all I wanted to know was do I need to uninstall the drivers. thats all.

Already answered, hence the "/thread"

Mission accomplished guys.