AM2 retention bracket broke again

Anyone else have to replace their AM2 retention bracket semi regularly?  Seems like about every 3 years my bracket decides to break and cause the cooler to hang off the cpu.  It's not a stupendously large cooler either.  Just the factory cooler that came with the Gateway.  I guess at least it's not like the Dell (sempron 3400 single core ugh) I'm on now that uses a custom thing so I can get any AM2 retention module to fix it again.  Yay for thermal shutdown protection.

IMG_20160602_185541s.jpg

There's something cool here - you just can't see it.

ugh.  Can't even watch youtube on this Dell.. :(

7 minutes ago, Cracklingice said:

What is that GPU?

HISSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSS

i7 2700k 4.5GHz / Cooler Master Nepton 240mm / Asus Sabertooth Z77 / HyperX Savage 32gb / EVGA GTX TITAN SUPERCLOCKED SIGNATURE

14 minutes ago, Cracklingice said:

Anyone else have to replace their AM2 retention bracket semi regularly?

Nope. Ever since AMD started using this retention design I've only had one break and I fully blame it on the shoddy build quality(cmonnn Biostar). If the retention bracket breaks it could be that the bracket was made cheaply, or too much thermal paste being applied, or too much heat, or just physical damage(like tossing the PC around).

15 minutes ago, Cracklingice said:

If you get even a cheap aftermartket cooler for it, it will have its own bracket, and eliminate the need for the bracket, and make it quieter.

4 minutes ago, QueenDemetria said:

Nope. Ever since AMD started using this retention design I've only had one break and I fully blame it on the shoddy build quality(cmonnn Biostar). If the retention bracket breaks it could be that the bracket was made cheaply, or too much thermal paste being applied, or too much heat, or just physical damage(like tossing the PC around).

It is a prebuilt they most likely cut corners on design, even for a piece of plastic.

•E5-2670 @2.7GHz • Intel DX79SI • EVGA 970 SSC• GSkill Sniper 8Gb ddr3 • Corsair Spec 02 • Corsair RM750 • HyperX 120Gb SSD • Hitachi 2Tb HDD •

3 minutes ago, SLAYR said:

If you get even a cheap aftermartket cooler for it, it will have its own bracket, and eliminate the need for the bracket, and make it quieter.

It is a prebuilt they most likely cut corners on design, even for a piece of plastic.

From the wording of the OP I think the bracket has been replaced before, so my guess is that its aftermarket. I don't know the manufacturer of this PC, nor do I care, but I do know that some companies manufacture the retention bracket in a way that prevents it from being the reason for RMA.

18 minutes ago, LizardsAreOP said:

What is that GPU?

13 minutes ago, TheRandomness said:

I bet HD 5770 or HD 6850

HD 4650.  It's not GPU, it's crappy single core CPU.  It's straight pegged at 100% when I play a youtube video.  lol

4 minutes ago, Cracklingice said:

HD 4650.  It's not GPU, it's crappy single core CPU.  It's straight pegged at 100% when I play a youtube video.  lol

No, we mean the graphics card in that picture. The HD 4650 is too shit to have a cooler like that.

USEFUL LINKS:

PSU Tier List F@H stats

6 minutes ago, Cracklingice said:

HD 4650.

how is that? the 4650 is a very slim GPU and your is a very thick one ??? :?

HISSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSS

i7 2700k 4.5GHz / Cooler Master Nepton 240mm / Asus Sabertooth Z77 / HyperX Savage 32gb / EVGA GTX TITAN SUPERCLOCKED SIGNATURE

6 minutes ago, TheRandomness said:

No, we mean the graphics card in that picture. The HD 4650 is too shit to have a cooler like that.

4 minutes ago, LizardsAreOP said:

how is that? the 4650 is a very slim GPU and your is a very thick one ??? :?

My apologies.  The 'good' computer is a Phenom x4 9750, 8gb ddr2, with a Radeon HD 6870.  It's an ancient Gateway.  I recently got the 6870 to upgrade it and tossed in a PSU that I had to support the video card.  Now I have the ATI HD 4650 that shipped with the Gateway in the crappy Dell I got for free from a client when they got a laptop.

1 minute ago, Cracklingice said:

My apologies.  The 'good' computer is a Phenom x4 9750, 8gb ddr2, with a Radeon HD 6870.

Oooo I was close with my guess :P

Why don't you just get a good aftermarket cooler like the Cooler Master Hyper 212?

USEFUL LINKS:

PSU Tier List F@H stats

@TheRandomness
Meh - I just want this thing to work again as cheaply as possible and stop spending on it.  The Phenom x4 9750 is an antique - I need to get into something newer, but this Gateway doesn't have a BIOS update to support a newer processor and I don't have retail windows to change the mobo.  So it's either a cheap but better pre-built, or a full build for any upgrade from here.  It's already got an SSD and a GPU that's powerful enough to have a CPU bottleneck in most of the games I run.

2 minutes ago, Cracklingice said:

@TheRandomness
Meh - I just want this thing to work again as cheaply as possible and stop spending on it.  The Phenom x4 9750 is an antique - I need to get into something newer, but this Gateway doesn't have a BIOS update to support a newer processor and I don't have retail windows to change the mobo.  So it's either a cheap but better pre-built, or a full build for any upgrade from here.  It's already got an SSD and a GPU that's powerful enough to have a CPU bottleneck in most of the games I run.

Imo the only way to stop spending on it is to just get a cooler that doesn't need the mounting bracket meaning you won't have to replace it at all therefore lowing costs in the long term. That or just zip-tying the cooler down :P

USEFUL LINKS:

PSU Tier List F@H stats

I guess I could just move the hyper 212 over to the next build as it's most likely the cooler I would use anyway, but this computer only has 6 months to a year before I replace it.  Thus why I don't really want to spend that much on it when I intend to replace it asap anyway.

So interesting note on the youtube issues.  If I open it with internet explorer, I can watch 720p without issue, but in chrome even at 144p I get stutters and pops in the audio.  Guess it's IE for youtube til the phenom is back up.  The order was placed last night so hopefully it ships today.  I'm pretty confident it will.  Never really had any issues with Newegg in the past, although I do very much miss when they had their egg saver or super saver or whatever they called that shipping option that used FedEx and would always get to me in 2 to 3 days from clicking without fail.

zo4Tv2j.jpg==>UeEHZ1G.jpg

and we're back.  I never thought I could appreciate this potato so much.  Quad potato > single cacheless potato.  Yay quad potato

Just now, Cracklingice said:

UeEHZ1G.jpg

and we're back.  I never thought I could appreciate this potato so much.  Quad potato > single cacheless potato.  Yay quad potato

just put thermal adhesive on the underside of the cooler.

Downside. you can never change cooler. you can never change CPU