Jailing File-Sharers Does Not Increase Music Sales?

qwertywarrior

say it aint so !

One year ago Japan introduced a tough new law that was warmly welcomed by the music industry. From October 1 2012, those downloading copyrighted material without permission faced a potential two year jail sentence. But while users of Japan’s favorite P2P networks plummeted, sales have not been positively affected. Total music sales this year so far are down 7% on the same period last year, but digital sales are even worse – down 24% since the law was introduced.

p2pdownjp.png

riajjanjune2013.png

http://www.hardocp.com/news/2013/10/03/jailing_filesharers_does_increase_music_sales63

If your grave doesn't say "rest in peace" on it You are automatically drafted into the skeleton war.

The only ways to stop piracy is to either release your stuff for free or not make anything someone would want and since it's a known fact that if you make something, someone somewhere will want it no matter how terrible it is, so if you don't want your stuff to be jacked you shouldn't make anything, that way it won't be stolen. Throwing people in jail for acquiring something they want is going to accomplish f**k all.

-The Bellerophon- Obsidian 550D-i5-3570k@4.5Ghz -Asus Sabertooth Z77-16GB Corsair Dominator Platinum 1866Mhz-x2 EVGA GTX 760 Dual FTW 4GB-Creative Sound Blaster XF-i Titanium-OCZ Vertex Plus 120GB-Seagate Barracuda 2TB- https://linustechtips.com/main/topic/60154-the-not-really-a-build-log-build-log/ Twofold http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/121043-twofold-a-dual-itx-system/ How great is EVGA? http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/110662-evga-how-great-are-they/#entry1478299

i dont think shutting stuff down will help i mean there are about 1 million sites let you download the same song for free 

If you tell a big enough lie and tell it frequently enough it will be believed.

-Adolf Hitler 

i dont think shutting stuff down will help i mean there are about 1 million sites let you download the same song for free 

Shutting stuff down is what causes the thousands of others to pop up in their place.

The war against Napster started the whole thing.

Before that it was FTP servers, but that was on the down low and you pretty much had to search high and low for it

and even them most of the big servers were password protected and you had to upload something to get something.

Big surprise this :rolleyes:

People have been saying for ages that piracy doesn't affect sales revenue much because the people who torrent it wouldn't have bought it anyway, and this just adds even more weight to that argument.

it isnt shutting down websites

from what i understand the new law is

if u Torrent ull receive warnings if u  continue ull get jailed

If your grave doesn't say "rest in peace" on it You are automatically drafted into the skeleton war.

They have to rethink the business model of the industry, first step is to kick out the dinosaurs who are afraid of the internet

I wonder how much are songs in japan. One reason for piracy is something is something is too expensive. Or do what linus wants to happen. Make the song free but do that follow or tweet or whatever it is to get people to notice the singer

kickstarters or crowdfunding is a good example..   Offer added benefits for buying your product digitally and DRM free.   People pledge on Kickstarters and crowd funding like no tommorow if its a product they are truly interested in.

They have to rethink the business model of the industry, first step is to kick out the dinosaurs who are afraid of the internet

yep. exactly this.

This is seriously as dumb as giving people hefty fines for listening to music on Youtube. How else are people supposed to be hyped on music without being exposed to a track or two ffs.

If a song is really nice and the artist is down to Earth, I have zero issue supporting them.