Can you install a 64 bit windows in a 32 bits computer?

Go to solution Solved by vanished,
1 minute ago, JoeAguiar said:

I will use it just for programing and i dont know if the solftware are compatible.

So you have software only offered in 64 bit?  If that's the case, there may be a reason for that... ie, getting a 32 bit OS might not be enough.  The PC that requires a 32 bit OS might not be powerful enough regardless, for example.

I have a pc that have 2 gb of ram and 32 bits pc. If i upgrade to 4gb of ram can i install 64 bits windows?

32 bits pc? never heard of it...

HISSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSS

i7 2700k 4.5GHz / Cooler Master Nepton 240mm / Asus Sabertooth Z77 / HyperX Savage 32gb / EVGA GTX TITAN SUPERCLOCKED SIGNATURE

First of all, no I don't believe you can.

Second, why not just install 32 bit windows?

Third, why do you care?  4 GB will work with 32 bit ;)

Solve your own audio issues  |  First Steps with RPi 3  |  Humidity & Condensation  |  Sleep & Hibernation  |  Overclocking RAM  |  Making Backups  |  Displays  |  4K / 8K / 16K / etc.  |  Do I need 80+ Platinum?

If you can read this you're using the wrong theme.  You can change it at the bottom.

2 minutes ago, JoeAguiar said:

I have a pc that have 2 gb of ram and 32 bits pc. If i upgrade to 4gb of ram can i install 64 bits windows?

Depends, I don't think your system has a 64-Bit processor then.
If it has then yes, go ahead. If it doesn't then no :Þ

Unless the processor is 64bit compatible it wont work, easiest thing to do is check in the system page if you're using anything like windows vista and up. Or if not look up the processor online and it should say so

2 minutes ago, Ryan_Vickers said:

First of all, no I don't believe you can.

Second, why not just install 32 bit windows?

Third, why do you care?  4 GB will work with 32 bit ;)

I will use it just for programing and i dont know if the solftware are compatible.

1 minute ago, JoeAguiar said:

So you have software only offered in 64 bit?  If that's the case, there may be a reason for that... ie, getting a 32 bit OS might not be enough.  The PC that requires a 32 bit OS might not be powerful enough regardless, for example.

Solve your own audio issues  |  First Steps with RPi 3  |  Humidity & Condensation  |  Sleep & Hibernation  |  Overclocking RAM  |  Making Backups  |  Displays  |  4K / 8K / 16K / etc.  |  Do I need 80+ Platinum?

If you can read this you're using the wrong theme.  You can change it at the bottom.

2 minutes ago, JoeAguiar said:

All 32 bit programs are compatible with 64 bit windows as far as I'm concerned. Also what are your pc specs?

CPU: Intel Core i7 3770 @ 3.91 GHz RAM: G.Skill 4x4GB 2133Mhz DDR3 GPU: AMD HD 7970 3GB SSD: Samsung 840 Evo 500GB PSU: Corsair HX620W  Motherboard: Gigabyte Z68X-UD3H-B3 Case: Phanteks P400 Tempered Glass (Black) Monitor: Dell P2412H, Dell 2012H Keyboard: Razer BlackWidow Ultimate Classic Mouse: Logitech G203 Prodigy HDD: WD Black 3TB

4 minutes ago, JoeAguiar said:

If it's a CPU that supports only 32-bit software (for all practical purposes, a Pentium 4 or older), then no, you absolutely cannot run 64-bit code.

So basically, to answer the question accurately we need to know specifics about this PC. What CPU?

2 minutes ago, Ryan_Vickers said:

Ty bro i will check it

4 minutes ago, Stryder721 said:

Unless the processor is 64bit compatible it wont work, easiest thing to do is check in the system page if you're using anything like windows vista and up. Or if not look up the processor online and it should say so

Ty bro i will check it

5 minutes ago, tv15dsi said:

Depends, I don't think your system has a 64-Bit processor then.
If it has then yes, go ahead. If it doesn't then no :Þ

Ty bro i will check it

2 minutes ago, PokeCatz said:

All 32 bit programs are compatible with 64 bit windows as far as I'm concerned. Also what are your pc specs?

Yes.  But, by the sounds of it he's concerned about the opposite though - 64 bit program can't run on a 32 bit OS, hence why he wants a 64 bit OS (unless I'm not interpreting this correctly)