Computer not working. Is my PSU dead?

manugupta10
Go to solution Solved by pwn_intended,

First off, welcome to the forums!

Now onto business:

When a PSU (or anything for that matter) fails, it may be a catastrophic failure, or just a partial one. It is entirely possible that only part of your PSU died, such as just the 5 volt or 12 volt rail. Or that it is "working" but not supplying enough current, so some parts of the system can power on, but the system as a whole can't, so then it shuts down to prevent itself from getting fried by a faulty psu.

It MAY NOT be the power supply, but it sounds like it is. The best way to test it out is to see if you can find a spare one (i.e. from an old computer, friends pc, work, etc,) If this isn't an option, then unfortunately youll have to either buy one to test it out or take it to a computer show shop.  (oops with the typos)

My computer has stopped working. When i turn it on, the green LED on my motherboard lights up, CPU cooling fan bumps (for 0.1 second and then stops) , PSU fan doesn't spin at all, no output on display and hard drive doesn't spin eather. 

I did test my PSU, by using green wire paper clip method, and concluded that PSU is dead (PSU fan not spinning).

Is my PSU really dead? If so then, Why that green LED on motherboard lights up? and Why CPU cooling fan bumps?

specs -
Intel core i5 2400
AMD radeon HD 5450
4GB DDR3 RAM
450WATT PSU
Intel DH61WW Motherboard 

First off, welcome to the forums!

Now onto business:

When a PSU (or anything for that matter) fails, it may be a catastrophic failure, or just a partial one. It is entirely possible that only part of your PSU died, such as just the 5 volt or 12 volt rail. Or that it is "working" but not supplying enough current, so some parts of the system can power on, but the system as a whole can't, so then it shuts down to prevent itself from getting fried by a faulty psu.

It MAY NOT be the power supply, but it sounds like it is. The best way to test it out is to see if you can find a spare one (i.e. from an old computer, friends pc, work, etc,) If this isn't an option, then unfortunately youll have to either buy one to test it out or take it to a computer show shop.  (oops with the typos)

When in doubt, re-format.

i have had this happen to me before this is a faulty PSU, as @pwn_intended said 

a connector_atx_pinout.GIF is atched

****SORRY FOR MY ENGLISH IT'S REALLY TERRIBLE*****

Been married to my wife for 3 years now! Yay!

I have installed a new PSU and finally my PC is working!

My old PSU was faulty, I tested it again with paper clip method and a multimeter. I found that all yellow, red and orange wires were dead, only 5V standby wire was working (because of which the LED on motherboard was glowing).

Thanks everyone for help!