weird humming noise when mic usb touches metal on my pc

Zebo the Zebra
Go to solution Solved by Clonzoo,
2 minutes ago, Zebo the Zebra said:

thank you the perfect  answer i was looking for so theres no way of eliminate the static noise without a sound card or a an adapter and because im cheap will adapters sounds the same and i kinda like hearing myself when i unmute my mic so is there a way i could still use the usb blue yeti

As I said, reseting your sound setting to default to eliminate any boosting or anything like that might help. I'd try to turn off listening to yourself though as that might be whats causing the issue. From what I am gattering you are connecting your headset through your microphone which is connected to your pc through a USB, correct? Have you tried simply bypassing the mic? As far as I know unless you can plug your headset through your microphone there is no good way to listen to yourself without some kind of delay, so turn of microphone bosting and listening to this device in your microphone setting and see if that changed anything, if not then I would think its EMI or whatever people call it meaning you would need to use another audio solution than whats on your motherboard.

I have a blue yeti but it happen with every pair of headphone i have (most of them are wireless) so there is a weird humming noise that is very distracting when your tryna think and ive been trying everything to get rid of it. i thought maybe it was the usb port so i was trying to put it in a different hole but just my usb touching the i/o shield (the mic was not on) made the humming noise and every port i plug it into even without the blue yeti makes the humming noise. how do i fix it and ive tried putting it in my monitors headphone jack too and still a hum and its only my pc as my phone doesn't(unless connected to my pc) and any other laptop. Can i fix it? i have an optical option on my headphones bu no optical input is it work getting a dac (or is there anything else)?

8 minutes ago, Zebo the Zebra said:

I have a blue yeti but it happen with every pair of headphone i have (most of them are wireless) so there is a weird humming noise that is very distracting when your tryna think and ive been trying everything to get rid of it. i thought maybe it was the usb port so i was trying to put it in a different hole but just my usb touching the i/o shield (the mic was not on) made the humming noise and every port i plug it into even without the blue yeti makes the humming noise. how do i fix it and ive tried putting it in my monitors headphone jack too and still a hum and its only my pc as my phone doesn't(unless connected to my pc) and any other laptop. Can i fix it? i have an optical option on my headphones bu no optical input is it work getting a dac (or is there anything else)?

There are fans that are constantly spinning in your PC, and most of them are directly screwed to your case, and the mic picks up the noise. I believe this might be the culprit, and if it isn't, I suspect Electro-Magnetic Interference...

Nothing to see here ;)

3 minutes ago, Anand_Geforce said:

There are fans that are constantly spinning in your PC, and most of them are directly screwed to your case, and the mic picks up the noise. I believe this might be the culprit, and if it isn't, I suspect Electro-Magnetic Interference...

nope my mic is always on mute and i can tell when its on because its on full volume so i can turn it down on my headphone to try and minimize the noise but try.

and Elecdtro-Magnetic interference?

9 minutes ago, Anand_Geforce said:

sorry for the double quote but would an optical like way to connect to my pc and would there be no buzz

Is it just your headset grounding off your I/O shield? (Don't take my word for it, may have no clue what I'm on about here haha)

11 minutes ago, Zebo the Zebra said:

nope my mic is always on mute and i can tell when its on because its on full volume so i can turn it down on my headphone to try and minimize the noise but try.

and Elecdtro-Magnetic interference?

Electrical signals of cables can interfere with nearby cables, and this is called Electro-Magnetic Interference (EMI). This causes disruption in signal, cross-talk, etc.

I believe connecting through optical, can exterminate EMI, but also do a Google search on this, as I don't know much about SPDIF.

Nothing to see here ;)

1 minute ago, Crashbash111 said:

Is it just your headset grounding off your I/O shield? (Don't take my word for it, may have no clue what I'm on about here haha)

grounding??? i plugged in my front io as soon as it touched the metal it made a noise and my mic wasn't on (wasn't plugged in) and if i plugged it in directly same thing

1 minute ago, Anand_Geforce said:

Electrical signals of cables can interfere with nearby cables, and this is called Electro-Magnetic Interference (EMI). This causes disruption in signal, cross-talk, etc.

I believe connecting through optical, can exterminate EMI, but also do a Google search on this, as I don't know much about SPDIF.

ive been researching i just have not found anyone in my condition so i made a topic specifically to this topic but ill keep looking

aka i doont know what to google lol

I'm with @Anand_Geforce on this one. In your computer there is a lot going on, like vibration from fans and small electrical signals going left and right and here and there. These electrical signals can often manifest themselves in form of static interference, electric interference or whatever you like to call it then can he heard in your headphones. I suspect you are running off your onboard audio (Audio solution on your motherboard) most motherboards with some exceptions have onboard audio very susceptible to this kind of interference seeing as its on your motherboard and everything going on on your PC will at some point go through your motherboard and something interfere with the onboard audio solution manifesting itself ultimately in you headphones. Its quite normal. Looking into a cheap sound card either in an expansion slot on your motherboard (This does not count as onboard and will normally not be as susceptible to interference., however depending on the brand and quality I won't rule it out) there is also USB sounds card for cheap that you could try. I'd just to be sure though, reset your sound setting to default and make sure there is no kind of boost on anything.

I once explained to my girlfriend what true love is. I said, "If you were a shit, I'd put you back in" and to this day, she is still my little shit. 

1 minute ago, Zebo the Zebra said:

ive been researching i just have not found anyone in my condition so i made a topic specifically to this topic but ill keep looking

aka i doont know what to google lol

Google about eliminating EMI, or create a new thread about the same, right here on the forum - I'm sure people will be happy to help!

Nothing to see here ;)

3 minutes ago, Clonzoo said:

I'm with @Anand_Geforce on this one. In your computer there is a lot going on, like vibration from fans and small electrical signals going left and right and here and there. These electrical signals can often manifest themselves in form of static interference, electric interference or whatever you like to call it then can he heard in your headphones. I suspect you are running off your onboard audio (Audio solution on your motherboard) most motherboards with some exceptions have onboard audio very susceptible to this kind of interference seeing as its on your motherboard and everything going on on your PC will at some point go through your motherboard and something interfere with the onboard audio solution manifesting itself ultimately in you headphones. Its quite normal. Looking into a cheap sound card either in an expansion slot on your motherboard (This does not count as onboard and will normally not be as susceptible to interference., however depending on the brand and quality I won't rule it out) there is also USB sounds card for cheap that you could try. I'd just to be sure though, reset your sound setting to default and make sure there is no kind of boost on anything.

thank you the perfect  answer i was looking for so theres no way of eliminate the static noise without a sound card or a an adapter and because im cheap will adapters sounds the same and i kinda like hearing myself when i unmute my mic so is there a way i could still use the usb blue yeti

6 minutes ago, Anand_Geforce said:

Google about eliminating EMI, or create a new thread about the same, right here on the forum - I'm sure people will be happy to help!

hmm seems complicated but thanks for the suggestion i might just buy an adapter to use optical but will it have surround sound???

7 minutes ago, Clonzoo said:

sorry forgot to ask will an adapter or sound card have surround sound i know it doesnt matter most of it is digital but one less step

As I said, reseting your sound setting to default to eliminate any boosting or anything like that might help. I'd try to turn off listening to yourself though as that might be whats causing the issue. From what I am gattering you are connecting your headset through your microphone which is connected to your pc through a USB, correct? Have you tried simply bypassing the mic? As far as I know unless you can plug your headset through your microphone there is no good way to listen to yourself without some kind of delay, so turn of microphone bosting and listening to this device in your microphone setting and see if that changed anything, if not then I would think its EMI or whatever people call it meaning you would need to use another audio solution than whats on your motherboard.

I once explained to my girlfriend what true love is. I said, "If you were a shit, I'd put you back in" and to this day, she is still my little shit. 

3 minutes ago, Zebo the Zebra said:

hmm seems complicated but thanks for the suggestion i might just buy an adapter to use optical but will it have surround sound???

sorry forgot to ask will an adapter or sound card have surround sound i know it doesnt matter most of it is digital but one less step

As I said, I don't know much about SPDIF, so I'm not eligible to answer this... but this video just might...

Nothing to see here ;)

2 minutes ago, Clonzoo said:

ive tried any combination you could think of with just my mic pc and monitor and nothing removes the static and how would i reset it and i dont think it would matter because i recently reset windows in general

3 minutes ago, zMeul said:

it's most likely that your wall plugs don't carry ground

i live in canada we have grounding but i have my pc connected to a multi plug and that connected to an extension cable, it wasnt always like that and i dont remember if that changed anything 

i live in canada we have grounding but i have my pc connected to a multi plug and that connected to an extension cable, it wasnt always like that and i dont remember if that changed anything 

check if that extension squid carries ground

you could use a power tester pen (screw driver) to see if your PC is grounded - touch a metal part on your case

1281607659648_hz-fileserver1_302886.jpg

if the bulb lights up ^ , it's not grounded

2 minutes ago, zMeul said:

check if that extension squid carries ground

you could use a power tester pen (screw driver) to see if your PC is grounded - touch a metal part on your case

1281607659648_hz-fileserver1_302886.jpg

if the bulb light up ^ , it's not grounded

hmm im pretty sure i dont have a fancy lighting up screw driver is there a way to check without that

1 minute ago, Zebo the Zebra said:

hmm im pretty sure i dont have a fancy lighting up screw driver is there a way to check without that

they're extremely cheap and can be found in any electrical themed store

they're extremely cheap and can be found in any electrical themed store

couldnt i also test if my multi plug isnt grounded by plugging my pc into the wall directly

couldnt i also test if my multi plug isnt grounded by plugging my pc into the wall directly

if you have enough cable length, sure

and you're absolutely positive the wall socket is carrying ground

if you have enough cable length, sure

and you're absolutely positive the wall socket is carrying ground

im not 100% sure but my other pcs dont get buzzing and even my phone when connected directly intot he wall with my headphones connected dont make a buzz (unlike my pc)

im not 100% sure but my other pcs dont get buzzing and even my phone when connected directly intot he wall with my headphones connected dont make a buzz (unlike my pc)

go get that screwdriver, it's the most primitive and sure way to test it

go get that screwdriver, it's the most primitive and sure way to test it

I think its a smart idea but i wanted to upgrade my sound quality so im looking for a sound card