Overclocking an Optiplex 745

Go to solution Solved by KeltonDSMer,
11 hours ago, aisle9 said:

I'd love to overclock my Optiplex 745 SFF. The original Celeron D (which is an awesome overclocker itself) has been swapped for a Core 2 Duo E6600. There's plenty of headroom; AIDA64 puts Tjmax at 80C, and even on an FPU-only test, it hovers around 68C. Thing is, it's got a proprietary, locked Dell motherboard. I know options like SetFSB are out there, but those overclocks don't stick after a reboot courtesy of Dell's BIOS. Where would I go to find a custom BIOS that has overclocking options unlocked, if such a thing even exists/is possible?

Look into BSEL mod. I used two slivers of electrical tape to gain 25% clockspeed on a q6600/locked Dell MOBO by tricking it into running a higher FSB. It automatically dropped the RAM divider and the stock voltage was enough for the OC.

MOD:

Spoiler

IMG_0190_zpsytey8f2d.jpg

Stock R15

Spoiler

R15Q6600full_zpszik2qxq6.jpg

OC R15

Spoiler

333R15_zps7ll9vvgr.jpg

I am not sure what combination multi/FSB your chip runs, but if the stock FSB isn't too high there are probably a couple pins you can block off to bump it up!

I'd love to overclock my Optiplex 745 SFF. The original Celeron D (which is an awesome overclocker itself) has been swapped for a Core 2 Duo E6600. There's plenty of headroom; AIDA64 puts Tjmax at 80C, and even on an FPU-only test, it hovers around 68C. Thing is, it's got a proprietary, locked Dell motherboard. I know options like SetFSB are out there, but those overclocks don't stick after a reboot courtesy of Dell's BIOS. Where would I go to find a custom BIOS that has overclocking options unlocked, if such a thing even exists/is possible?

Aerocool DS are the best fans you've never tried.

SetFSP is pretty much the only way I've heard of.  I imagine everyone would be using custom bios for their Dells if it were a thing (then again, if anyone has knowledge of this I'd be interested).  If there was a way to experiment with the bios without bricking it I would try more with it myself.

That being said, an e8400 only costs $5 where I'm at.  That would get you basically a 600mhz boost for almost nothing.

8 hours ago, Biggerboot said:

SetFSP is pretty much the only way I've heard of.  I imagine everyone would be using custom bios for their Dells if it were a thing (then again, if anyone has knowledge of this I'd be interested).  If there was a way to experiment with the bios without bricking it I would try more with it myself.

That being said, an e8400 only costs $5 where I'm at.  That would get you basically a 600mhz boost for almost nothing.

Unfortunately, the Optiplex 745 is only capable of handling up to the 6000 series of Core 2 processors. I bought my dad am Optiplex 755 SFF with a C2D E8500, and I kind of wish I'd gotten my hands on that box instead. 

I've considered tracking down a Q6600, but considering that my $13 (yes, $13 for the PC, an extra gig of RAM and an E6600 to replace the Celeron) HTPC is now more of a $75 media server, I'm not sure my wife is interested in letting me upgrade the processor again...especially in light of the 960GB SSD that was added to the family yesterday lol

11 hours ago, aisle9 said:

Look into BSEL mod. I used two slivers of electrical tape to gain 25% clockspeed on a q6600/locked Dell MOBO by tricking it into running a higher FSB. It automatically dropped the RAM divider and the stock voltage was enough for the OC.

MOD:

Spoiler

IMG_0190_zpsytey8f2d.jpg

Stock R15

Spoiler

OC R15

Spoiler

333R15_zps7ll9vvgr.jpg

I am not sure what combination multi/FSB your chip runs, but if the stock FSB isn't too high there are probably a couple pins you can block off to bump it up!

30 minutes ago, KeltonDSMer said:

MOD:

Reveal hidden contents

IMG_0190_zpsytey8f2d.jpg

Stock R15

Reveal hidden contents

OC R15

Reveal hidden contents

333R15_zps7ll9vvgr.jpg

It would seem I have a project for this weekend. Thank you! :D

14 minutes ago, aisle9 said:

It would seem I have a project for this weekend. Thank you! :D

No problem, if you run into any problems or have some extra questions, I'd recommend asking @harrynowl and/or @Jumper118. They are 775/771 (and beyond:P) OC wizards!

Best of luck, I hope there is an option on that chip to bump up clocks a bit!