2nd monitor advice

XDroidie626

Hi All,

I am looking at getting my 2nd monitor, currently I have http://www.pcworld.co.uk/gbuk/computing/pc-monitors/pc-monitors/aoc-i2369vm-full-hd-23-ips-led-monitor-with-mhl-21408588-pdt.html

But I am looking at another, but I am undecided to get either another one of them or a bigger monitor.

I will eventually be getting a dual monitor mount.

Suggestions?

Thanks

What does an Transformer get? Life insurance or car insurance? - Russell Howard - Standup (Made me giggle a bit)

I feel as though having one monitor larger than the other would look kind of silly- don't you think?

What were you planning to use the second monitor for? I personally think 21:9 is better than dual monitors, but it depends on the workload and use case.

Just saying that moniter is on amazons prime day thing for £80, just create a new account and you get a months free prime. 

You could get the exact same one of you are fine with playing at the same resolution and you dont want gsync/ freesync. If you wanted to you could upgrade to a 1440p monitor and game on that and use your current one as the second monitor. Or really any other config you could think of. Personally, I use 3 monitors for productivity and I love it.

My Main PC:

CPUi5 3570k CPU Cooler: Cooler Master Hyper T4 Motherboard: Asus p8z77-v pro  RAM: Crucial Balistic 2x4gb  GPU: Two PNY GTX 680's in SLI Case: Some rando Antec one  PSU: Thermaltake 1000w  Display: HP Elite Display 321i 23''  Storage: Samsung 840 Evo 128gb, Seagate Barracuda 1tb

2 minutes ago, M.Yurizaki said:

It's better to get a monitor of the same size for consistency, because it's very jarring to have the mouse pop up and around. Like for example you move your mouse over about half way up and it pops up further down on the next monitor or something.

you can adjust that in windows so that doesn't happen

My Main PC:

CPUi5 3570k CPU Cooler: Cooler Master Hyper T4 Motherboard: Asus p8z77-v pro  RAM: Crucial Balistic 2x4gb  GPU: Two PNY GTX 680's in SLI Case: Some rando Antec one  PSU: Thermaltake 1000w  Display: HP Elite Display 321i 23''  Storage: Samsung 840 Evo 128gb, Seagate Barracuda 1tb

Its not for playing games, suppose I should have stated that, I will be running it from my macbook pro for VMs and programming, hence why I thought a bigger one to go with it.

What does an Transformer get? Life insurance or car insurance? - Russell Howard - Standup (Made me giggle a bit)

2 minutes ago, XDroidie626 said:

Its not for playing games, suppose I should have stated that, I will be running it from my macbook pro for VMs and programming, hence why I thought a bigger one to go with it.

If you have the budget, I would recommend going with a widescreen monitor. It makes it easier to have my code and debugger up at the same time, and then you can have the program output on the monitor you currently have.

8 minutes ago, Hero7750 said:

you can adjust that in windows so that doesn't happen

That's not what I mean. If you have two monitors of the same resolution but of different physical size, you're going to have the mouse pop somewhere else that's not consistent.

And even then, if you get a larger resolution, it's going to be jarring to have parts of the larger monitor be an effective wall and you have to have the mouse at the right area to move it over.

2 minutes ago, M.Yurizaki said:

That's not what I mean. If you have two monitors of the same resolution but of different physical size, you're going to have the mouse pop somewhere else that's not consistent.

And even then, if you get a larger resolution, it's going to be jarring to have parts of the larger monitor be an effective wall and you have to have the mouse at the right area to move it over.

This is true, I have trouble with this from time to time, the only real solution is to position monitors in line with the center of the bigger one, but this is minor for me, I got used to it at work lol.

1 hour ago, M.Yurizaki said:

like i said, you can adjust that in windows, you move the box height either up or down so that when you move across the monitors, everything lines up 

Capture.PNG

My Main PC:

1 hour ago, Hero7750 said:

like i said, you can adjust that in windows, you move the box height either up or down so that when you move across the monitors, everything lines up 

Capture.PNG

Except you still have a dead zone in the larger monitors where you can't move the mouse over. To me that gets annoying real fast that I have to be at a certain zone to go to the other screen.

UI with good UX allows for people to be lazy and not have to think about what they do as much as possible. I think this is one of those cases. I.e., I want to just throw the mouse cursor over. If I have to actually aim, then it requires me to think.