Webpages have a hard time loading but download speed is normal

EIijah

I reset my pc yesterday, and now it's pretty much impossible to load webpages without trying 10 times, videos wont load but when I try download something it goes at a normal speed, I only have a 4Mb connection but it was fine before I reset my PC, I've heard people say bad things about the killer ethernet port that I have but it's been 100% fine till I reset my PC, I'm now on windows 10, any ideas?

CPU: i5-4690K @ 4.0GHz GPU: Gigabyte Gtx 970 WindForce MOBO: Gigabyte Z97 Gaming-3 CASE: Corsair Carbide 200R PSU: Corsair RM750

RAM: Corsair Vengeance 4GBx4  MOUSE: CM Mizar KEYBOARD: Logitec G110

try ipconfig /flushdns in CMD

NEW PC build: Blank Heaven   minimalist white and black PC     Old S340 build log "White Heaven"        The "LIGHTCANON" flashlight build log        Project AntiRoll (prototype)        Custom speaker project

Spoiler

Ryzen 3950X | AMD Vega Frontier Edition | ASUS X570 Pro WS | Corsair Vengeance LPX 64GB | NZXT H500 | Seasonic Prime Fanless TX-700 | Custom loop | Coolermaster SK630 White | Logitech MX Master 2S | Samsung 980 Pro 1TB + 970 Pro 512GB | Samsung 58" 4k TV | Scarlett 2i4 | 2x AT2020

2 minutes ago, wrathoftheturkey said:

If it came after an update it might be a driver problem, make sure everything's up to date, especially the networking drivers and display driver

Network is up to date, why would display matter?

Windows 10 did find the display driver for me and it's pretty old xD so I'm getting the new one now

CPU: i5-4690K @ 4.0GHz GPU: Gigabyte Gtx 970 WindForce MOBO: Gigabyte Z97 Gaming-3 CASE: Corsair Carbide 200R PSU: Corsair RM750

30 minutes ago, EIijah said:

I reset my pc yesterday, and now it's pretty much impossible to load webpages without trying 10 times, videos wont load but when I try download something it goes at a normal speed, I only have a 4Mb connection but it was fine before I reset my PC, I've heard people say bad things about the killer ethernet port that I have but it's been 100% fine till I reset my PC, I'm now on windows 10, any ideas?

DNS

Change it to:

23 minutes ago, dzonidev said:

DNS

Change it to:

Things are running smoother, but time will tell if that was the fix.

28 minutes ago, wrathoftheturkey said:

Is it normal now?

The display driver does a million different things when it gets messed up, it's always worth checking.

Thanks for mentioning anyway because it did need updating :D can't tell if it was this or DNS though

On 7/12/2016 at 10:49 AM, dzonidev said:

DNS

Change it to:

Seems to have worked, I understand this is Google's DNS, if you know could you explain why this worked? I'm rather interested

19 hours ago, EIijah said:

Seems to have worked, I understand this is Google's DNS, if you know could you explain why this worked? I'm rather interested

Alright so, when you type in an address to your browser, your PC performs a DNS lookup. Now Windows caches DNS names, but those names usually expire and are renewed when you try to access them again. You were probably getting the DNS server IP from your router which is acting as a DNS forwarder to your ISP's DNS servers which again might be overcrowded. So instead of your PC getting a relatively fast answer where a certain DNS name points, it needs to wait for the router, then the router has to wait for the ISP's DNS server which is slow, etc.. With Google DNS you ask directly and you get a direct answer.

Google has many DNS nodes with a same IP, it's actually a trick where Google's routers know that when you are requesting 8.8.8.8 they need to point to the nearest location. So for example a person in Asia might have the same latency to 8.8.8.8 as you, but that's not physically possible meaning that they have hundreds of mirror servers across the world.

And you could probably load pages even faster if you had a DNS server on your local network.