Best way to improve internet speeds on the cheap?

RGProductions
4 minutes ago, done12many2 said:

That's damn good.  Solid way for most in the US and any locations that use COAX to overcome wireless issues.  I ran CAT6 all over the house because I had an unfinished basement at the time, which made it too easy.  Only the 2nd floor remains wireless, but there's been no issues at all there.

Pretty much what I have been doing having just moved in to a new home two months ago.  First floor is now hardwired and one room on the 2nd floor but still have a few others to do. 

2 minutes ago, RGProductions said:

I honestly think it is my wifi card. all the more reason to upgrade to x99 and get the asrock x99 taichi lol.

just *Extend your modem* with an range extender so you have a good connection overall in your room btw check your phone and tablet if you have anny if the wifi in that room is good for other devices then mabey your wifi card is bad but does not mean you need a brand new motherboard just a new network card

CPU:Intel Core i5 6600K 3,5GHz  Motherboard: Z170 PRO GAMING  RAM: HyperX X Fury black DDR4 2x4GB

GPU: AMD Radeon HD 7800 series Case: some random shit tho it is gonna be upgraded Storage: SanDisk SSD Plus 240GB Cooling: Cooler Master Hyper 212 Evo Display: Asus VS278Q Keyboard: Roccat Arvo Mouse:Razer Naga 2015 Edition OS:Windows 10 

1 minute ago, ismma99 said:

just *Extend your modem* with an range extender so you have a good connection overall in your room btw check your phone and tablet if you have anny if the wifi in that room is good for other devices then mabey your wifi card is bad but does not mean you need a brand new motherboard just a new network card

Not sure what you're suggesting but I hope it's not a wireless 'range extender'.

2 minutes ago, Dark said:

Horrible latency, slow transfer speeds, and unreliable connectivity.

All three of those worsen substantially when you have devices drawing power and creating more line noise.

I used it before moca2.0 came out and I hated every second of it.

To further compound things, they only work somewhat when they are on the same fused circuit.  Just because both ends run through the same breaker box doesn't mean they'll work well or even work at all.  If the run was from one end of a house to another, you'd more than likely be depending on two separate fused lines and it would not work well, if at all.

1 minute ago, Dark said:

Not sure what you're suggesting but I hope it's not a wireless 'range extender'.

haha exactly xD since if the indiviual cant coax or whatever it is and powerline is somehow worse than wifi then thats the only option or upgrade his network card but could be risky while extender just take a long cord and boom i guess

images.jpg

CPU:Intel Core i5 6600K 3,5GHz  Motherboard: Z170 PRO GAMING  RAM: HyperX X Fury black DDR4 2x4GB

GPU: AMD Radeon HD 7800 series Case: some random shit tho it is gonna be upgraded Storage: SanDisk SSD Plus 240GB Cooling: Cooler Master Hyper 212 Evo Display: Asus VS278Q Keyboard: Roccat Arvo Mouse:Razer Naga 2015 Edition OS:Windows 10 

5 minutes ago, ismma99 said:

haha exactly xD since if the indiviual cant coax or whatever it is and powerline is somehow worse than wifi then thats the only option or upgrade his network card but could be risky while extender just take a long cord and boom i guess

images.jpg

lol. no.  The better solution would be to purchase better wireless hardware.  If even the strongest of WAPs doesn't provide him with adequate signal then he'll need to 'spend the $500' and have ethernet ran.

Wireless extenders usually cause more of a headache then they are worth and slow down the existing wireless network (current wireless technology only allows for a single transmit/receive per radio at a time and extenders tend to hog it).

*edit*

If you're talking about running a cord to relocate his WAP/Router then sure, there's nothing wrong with that.

2 minutes ago, Dark said:

lol. no.  The better solution would be to purchase better wireless hardware.  If even the strongest of WAPs doesn't provide him with adequate signal then he'll need to 'spend the $500' and have ethernet ran.

Wireless extenders usually cause more of a headache then they are worth and slow down the existing wireless network (current wireless technology only allows for a single transmit/receive per radio at a time and extenders tend to hog it).

well if he does want to go for the cheaper route he has to do what he has to do if he does not want to pay lots of moeniz and sacrifices sometimes has to be made ok lets say he has  7 and gets atleast half of it thats good dude better than going for the expensive route i guess if he really want to avoid it that much 

16 minutes ago, ismma99 said:

yes, I'm pretty sure it is my wifi card, no I don't need a new board, but building a new rig and that makes a high end board more justifuable

M1 MacBook Air 256/8 | iPhone 13 pro

8 minutes ago, RGProductions said:

yes, I'm pretty sure it is my wifi card, no I don't need a new board, but building a new rig and that makes a high end board more justifuable

ohh ok yess i see

4 minutes ago, ismma99 said:

ohh ok yess i see

yep, between the x99 taichi and the asus z170-a and this $35 feature of onboard wifi really closes the gap

59 minutes ago, RGProductions said:

-snip-

It's funny when people say that pulling through an Ethernet cable is not an option (read impossible). If you want a proper connection it will have to be possible.. :)

And no you don't need to tear down walls, you just need to drill a 0.2in hole through which you would pull the cable. I've drilled through classic walls and through concrete 15in walls...

I think the best way to go is Ethernet. WiFi would cost you at least $100 and for that money you could buy 1000ft of Ethernet cable....

1 hour ago, JaredM54 said:

Ubiquiti Unifi AP-AC-Pro, I wouldn't consider anything else. Can you explain more why running an ethernet cable would be so difficult?

all the walls are exterior, so there is insulation 

1 hour ago, dzonidev said:

It's funny when people say that pulling through an Ethernet cable is not an option (read impossible). If you want a proper connection it will have to be possible.. :)

And no you don't need to tear down walls, you just need to drill a 0.2in hole through which you would pull the cable. I've drilled through classic walls and through concrete 15in walls...

I think the best way to go is Ethernet. WiFi would cost you at least $100 and for that money you could buy 1000ft of Ethernet cable....

all the walls that make sense are exterior, so there is insulation, but I do agree, Ethernet is best

2 minutes ago, JaredM54 said:

Insulation isn't a problem as long as you seal the holes properly, which is very easy to do. You could probably do the whole project for under $100 and in an hour. Do you have an attic or basement that you could pull wires through?

kinda, can you link me a tutorial or something on how? I really would like that

8 hours ago, RGProductions said:

all the walls that make sense are exterior, so there is insulation, but I do agree, Ethernet is best

If you have an attic or a basement like @JaredM54 said, you could do this much easier. Attic would be the best option because the space between walls except for the concrete walls is open to the attic and you could get away without even drilling anything.

YouTube Tutorial